Thread: Enneagram Process

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Enneagram Process

Brilliand and I had a long discussion, starting with enneagram. He associates enneagram personality with MBTI, meaning it's bogus. Apparently enneagram is people going around in circles from a 9w1 to a 1w9 to a 1w2 and so on. However, I don't want to go by heresay. Has anyone actually experienced enneagram type change?

I made a couple lists based on enneagram process.

Basic Idea
    1: "Let's do this."
    2: "I know how."
    3: "Is it a good idea?"
    4: Gathers Materials
    5: Puts the Materials Together
    6: Makes Sure it was Done Right
    7: Adds finishing touches.
    8: Produces produce to populous.
    9: Forgets what was done.

Example
    1: "Let's make a pot."
    2: Chooses shape of pot.
    3: "Will that shape work?"
    4: Forms pot.
    5: Fires pot.
    6: Checks pot for imperfections.
    7: Paints pot.
    8: Sells pot.
    9: Sleeps on a futon.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Processes not leading to quality results are bad. Anyone indulging himself in non-meaningful processes should be subjected to catholic guilt.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen a lot of theories like that about Enneagram, including movie plot developing in 9 stages associated with Enneagram points/types. In other words: if you try hard enough, you could probably make anything fit in the Enneagram.

As to type change, I've always imagined developement more like going inside the circle. It's also got to do with perspective... you only see the world in one way, then experience and progress causes you to reconsider it, but you don't lose the previous view. As you become more balanced/healthy, you're able to act free of the limitations the original fear put on you. Yet if you're stressed and disintegrate (regardless of direction or lack thereof), you go back to your original type and most basic fears. I don't think this one could change.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Interesting idea...so it's more getting inside the circle than going around the circle. That appeals to my dislike of redundancy.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Creepy-male

Also on the topic of type change in enneagram types

If you consider the ideas of wings, triads, tritype, integration, disintegration, and directional theory.... you pretty much come to the conclusion that every person comes in contact a little with each of the types personally.

Secondarily I believe on some sites and some teachings it says that every person has a bit of each enneagram type in them, of course this doesn't mean everyone is simply a gray blob of mixed enneagram types, its simply saying that while some people feel they identify more strongly with a particular type that fundamentally they have other shades and highlights of all the other types in them also.

now onto rambling about my personal ideas concerning this - this part isn't "established theory" its just me thinking through it all

Personally I believe this to be true (that other everyone has a bit of every type), or else it would be really foreign to try to understand other types without drawing on some internal experience to help one introject into the shoes of another type. The problem I think with just abandoning the labeling of a person as a single type though is once you consider all the ways people are like all the types it become increasingly more complex and convoluted, for practical purposes its best to stick with a single type and then start adding in the ideas of wings, tritype, directional theory, integration, and so forth when one is looking for a more specific understanding of one's identity.

I don't know but its kind of like building a house, you get the frame up then work in the details. When using personality types its best to establish a type you identify the most with and then start working in the details from there. If one takes this approach the enneagram gives you many tools to look beyond simply a "single type" perspective... the wings are a basic idea... but I especially like the tritype.

If anyone is interested in trityping themselves, I'd suggest first wiping out their pre-conception of chosing among 9 types... instead look at each triad as 3 options and choose the best option among the 3. Run through this game 3 times, look at the three types you end up with and then try to determine which ones you identify most with and stack them up in order. Then ask yourself when I have trouble being succesful with the motivations of my first type, do I tend to start manifesting the behaviors of the second, and when I have trouble with this, do I tend to start manifesting the behaviors of the third. If its sensible upon this inspection, its likely you've succesfully constructed your tritype...

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So is 5-4-8 your tritype? I don't know all the terminology you used. What tritypes are possible?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    So is 5-4-8 your tritype? I don't know all the terminology you used. What tritypes are possible?
    Well it looks from your profile like you know of wings and instinctual stacking... thats a good start;

I'd also suggest reading up on

Tritype
    Enneagram Tritype
    Personality Types: The Enneagram Tritype
    Directional Theory
    Directional Theory
    Harmonic Groups
    The Harmonic Groups
    Triads
    How the Enneagram Personality System Works

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I tried reading about tritype, but it's written in the wrong format. Nonfiction paragraphs don't register in my mind. Do you have any sort of chart or list or picture that I can look at?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Creepy-male

I tried reading about tritype, but it's written in the wrong format. Nonfiction paragraphs don't register in my mind. Do you have any sort of chart or list or picture that I can look at?
    Well I can walk you through it really quickly... do you know about the triads at least?

Thinking/Anxiety/Dread - The Head Triad
    Instinctual/Anger/Rage - The Gut Triad
    Feeling/Shame - The Heart Triad

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    Well I can walk you through it really quickly... do you know about the triads at least?

Thinking/Anxiety/Dread - The Head Triad
    Instinctual/Anger/Rage - The Gut Triad
    Feeling/Shame - The Heart Triad
    Yeah. I learned about them yesterday. I'm a gut.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Creepy-male

Yeah. I learned about them yesterday. I'm a gut.
    Alright basically the tritype has two elements to it...

First you identify the type that best matches you in each triad

Head: 5,6,7
    Heart: 2,3,4
    Gut: 8,9,1

Second you stack the triads up in order from most to least, think similarly to instinctual variants....

So a 5-4-8

Is First and Foremost Head then Heart then Gut
    5 for the Thinking
    4 for the Feeling
    8 for the Gut

Alot of the theory is concerned about considering it as a strategy... so at first a 5-4-8 approaches life like a 5 but when that fails to produce an impact they fall back on manifesting the behavior of a 4 and so forth... they are a priority list of motivations if you wish.

You first search for competency as a 5, if that fails
    You search for meaning as a 4, if that fails
    You search for strength as a 8

This is great for giving a certain type a different vibe... a 5-4-8 is more soul-searching, artistic, power-seeking etc than say a 5-9-2 which would be more lazy and people oriented... a 5-1-3 may be more principled and productive.... a 5-3-8 more businessy and confrontational. and so forth

For more detail read the article they explain it a little better imo.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks. Maybe I'm a 1-2-7. I just know I'm no 3, 8, or 9...I'll reread up on the types and add it to my signature.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Creepy-male

Thanks. Maybe I'm a 1-2-7. I just know I'm no 3, 8, or 9...I'll reread up on the types and add it to my signature.
    you know there is a website I know of that does the descriptions for tritype 1's... here

Personality Types: Enneagram Tritype Descriptions: Type One

Quote Originally Posted by blogspot article
    1-2-7 : this is usually a very friendly One: fairly generous, caring, optimistic and also a bit playful when having a good day. Prefers being around people and is afraid of being lonely and unloved. This tritype is more compassionate, tolerant and understanding and has a desire to help other people and make their lives happier, therefore they have many friends. They enjoy a good laugh and occasionally a bit of variety as well.
    usual subtypes: social, sexual, 1w2
    similar tritypes: 1-7-2, 2-1-7
    flavours: friendly, sociable, kind and approachable

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

No, I'm not that sociable...I decided I'm more 6 than 7.

1-6-2 : responsible, dutiful and devoted friends, these Ones are more affiliative and empathetic than others. Friendship and mutually-supportive relationships are important to them and so are trust, loyalty and integrity. They can be more rigid and rule-bound because of their insecurities: they are slow to change their old beliefs even when they’re proven wrong, and they’re usually steadfast and honest people. They’re somewhat suspicious and skeptical, but once they trust someone they are capable of great generosity.
    usual subtypes: social, self-preserving, 1w2
    similar tritypes: 1-2-6, 6-1-2, 2-1-6
    flavours: responsible, loyal, honest and traditionalist

Yup. This is me. Thanks.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

damn abbie, a triple compliant? You don't have a super-ego, you have some kind of mega-super-ego.

compliant types are the 6-1-2 the types that obey their super ego and do what they're supposed to do.
    http://www.enneagram-spirituality.co...ian-Groups.php

more: http://personalitycafe.com/articles/...am-triads.html
    Last edited by electric sheep; 01-08-2010 at 05:18 AM.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep View Post
    damn abbie, a triple compliant? You don't have a super-ego, you have some kind of mega-super-ego.
    So I have an unusually strong or an unusually weak ?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I have an unusually strong or an unusually weak ?
    I think if you're a triple compliant you would be stretching the limits of how strong the super-ego functions can be for your type. Strong FeNi. I'm a double compliant, so I'm pretty strongly influenced by my super-ego too, but my core type is assertive.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Huh. I thought the super-ego was always the weakest. Woud having a strong super-ego weaken another section?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well I guess it's not guaranteed that super ego means the same thing. I'm really talking about super ego in a psychology sense, not necessarily the socionics sense. Maybe it's different for you. Compliant types do what they think they are supposed to--not what they want to do. I always thought the super ego functions were what each type thinks they are supposed to act like--what's proper.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

is proper, but so is . Any rational is proper.

Compliant types do what they think they are supposed to--not what they want to do.
    I thought that was an sp/sx characteristic.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is proper, but so is . Any rational is proper.
    Rational and proper are different. Just because you live according to plans doesn't mean they are "proper" plans.
    I thought that was an sp/sx characteristic.
    social last instinct stackings (sx/sp and sp/sx) usually are the most selfish and think the least about what others think. So in that sense, you could say they are the least bound by their super ego and society's demands. Confused yet?

1 stackings:
    http://www.ocean-moonshine.net/e1428...position=81:80
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Planning is proper.

I know the link, and I agree with it strongly.

I considered an so friend selfish in that she horded up friends like they were numbers, not individuals.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Creepy-male

compliant types are the 6-1-2 the types that obey their super ego and do what they're supposed to do.
    Enneagram-Spirituality

more: Enneagram Triads - PersonalityCafe
    Damn, how much stuff do you read up on enneagram, your always posting this stuff on different triad interpretations.... gahhhhhhhh

Anyways you got a lot of good information, but I have never been impressed by your enneagram typings (haven't been disappointed by them either, for the record... just saying, not dissing you).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm more of a person who can ask the right questions, rather than one who has all the answers.
    The saddest ESFj

Creepy-male

I think I'm more of a person who can ask the right questions, rather than one who has all the answers.
    Possible I dont know you, but I have been impressed at the two triads you've presented...

harmonic groups and the other stuff like compliant/withdrawn etc... I need to master those, I honestly haven't mastered all the types yet, I just have a generic sense of each of them and only a few mastered.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Turns out I'm 1-2-7, not 1-6-2.

I bumped this thread because I thought people would like to see this:
    http://pstypes.blogspot.com/2009/08/...-type-one.html
    http://pstypes.blogspot.com/2009/11/...ions-type.html
    (it only exists for 1 and 5)

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari