Thread: Synaesthesia

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Synaesthesia

Please, have a look athe this scientist's profile and click a link to synaesthesia. I am dure it must relate to socionics because it is about brain functioning and perception. I did 't look properly yet myself but I find it all very interesting and would be happy to hear your thoughts.

http://www.psychol.ucl.ac.uk/people/...ward_jamie.htm
    School of Associative socionics: http://socionics4you.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't that sound like ?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Creepy-

I'm a synaesthete, my sensations tend to be vibratory (I don't have the classic colours-for-sounds or colours-for-letters synaesthesia). Normally I get sensations in my nose or thighs, depending on the stimulus. Nose is usually if I bump into something with my arms/body, and thighs is when I see (or imagine) violent acts.

I also have sounds associated with certain body movements, which is interesting. If I lift my arms above my head I hear the D just above middle C (in a cello-like tone). Extending the right arm is the same note but in a feminine voice.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You absolutely HAVE to do acid.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sensorics

It must be to do with sensorics and intuition and possibly introversion... but may be other functions as well.

It what was ishysquishy was talking about:

…. On the other hand, colors do, apparently, call up true tactual sensations. S named the "tactual feel" of every colour in the Bradley chart of spectrum scales, - a test which left his hand itching and in a disagreeable condition.' Feelings of pain can also either trigger synaesthesia (e.g. Whipple, 1900) or can act as synaesthetic experiences themselves (see Krohn, 1892), and motor movements of the body can also trigger synaesthesia (e.g. Schliebe, 1932) or act as a synaesthetic experience (e.g. Devereaux, 1966). ^

That is about the brain bit:

The answer to this is almost certainly 'yes', but this doesn't mean that synaesthetes are mad or have brain-damage or anything like that. Most theories of synaesthesia talk about re-wiring or extra-connections in the brain. A recent study has shown that when certain synaesthetes hear spoken words then the parts of the brain normally dedicated to colour are used (Nunn et al., 2002). This suggests that parts of the brain that are normally used to process colour derived from vision are used instead to process colour derived from speech. ^

That is what I find magic:

Q.14 I see coloured auras around people. Is this synaesthesia?
    Possibly. Although some people are attracted to more mystical explanations. The aura might be triggered by the physical properties of the face, but more often than not the colour of the aura seems to relate to the persons mood or character traits (Collins, 1929; Riggs & Karwoski, 1934). There are now several cases in the literature of synaesthetes who only experience colours for the names of people that they personally know well (Ward, in press; Weiss et al, 2001). ^

I have met a person, possibly INFP, very emotional and sensitive and he said he sees auras above people's heads, he also said he can see if people are honest or lying and can "sence" the danger in immidiate invironment as well as can have a general feel when something drustic is going to happen like seeing somebody for the last time before the accident.

That what I can definetly relate to myself :

Synaesthesia and Memory
    Formal testing revealed that synaesthetes do indeed possess a memory advantage although the advantage does not extend to all aspects of memory. The advantage is more apparent in retaining information (rather than initial learning of it), it is more apparent for words (rather than abstract pictures), and there is better memory for colour. The memory advantages were modest rather than exceptional but they were real advantages nonetheless.

that pretty much shows that these people are not strong in - abstract logic as we understand it. So we can say it must relate to irrational functions like sensorics and intuition. Probobly, types who strong in intuition or/and sensorics and disadvantaged in rationality + are more likely to be synaesthets.

What about this?

Mirror-Touch Synaesthesia
    If you see someone else being touched (e.g. on their face) do you feel a physical sensation of touch on your face? Does it feel like an actual touch or an imagined one? Does it happen involuntarily or can you make it come and go? We have recently studied one synaesthete who experiences physical and involuntary sensations of touch when viewing other people being touched. An MRI scan of her brain activity showed that we all perhaps do this to an extent, although people with this form of synaesthesia may do it to a much more (Blakemore et al., 2005). This type of synaesthesia may be more common than we thought (we have found several others), and we’d be interested to hear from more people who think they may experience this.

Does it suggest + sensorics?
    School of Associative socionics: http://socionics4you.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synaesthesia is a neurological condition and has nothing to do with type---AT ALL.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic
    Synaesthesia is a neurological condition and has nothing to do with type---AT ALL.
    Well, some of us believe that type is neurologically connected...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Well, some of us believe that type is neurologically connected..."

A cross-wiring between sensoric perceptions and certain conceptual experiences seems to be fairly unrelated to type.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    I'm a synaesthete, my sensations tend to be vibratory (I don't have the classic colours-for-sounds or colours-for-letters synaesthesia). Normally I get sensations in my nose or thighs, depending on the stimulus. Nose is usually if I bump into something with my arms/body, and thighs is when I see (or imagine) violent acts..
    I get sensations in my legs when I see violence also...
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin