Thread: inductive vs deductive reasoning

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default inductive vs. deductive reasoning

I know there was a topic about this before, but I'd like to start a fresh conversation about it.

Any ideas about how tendencies to one more than the other are related to type?

I definitely tend to use inductive > deductive reasoning. Not sure what it's related to though.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked this explanation of the differences between the two, btw: Deduction & Induction
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that result, dynamic tend towards inductive; process, static tend towards deductive. Combinations of the traits will probably have no preference.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everybody likes to call themselves the inductive thinkers because it is the more advanced and less restrictive of the two.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Everybody likes to call themselves the inductive thinkers because it is the more advanced and less restrictive of the two.
    Ah, really? I though each mode had its own advantages in specific realms of knowledge. Inductive, for example, is worse than deductive when dealing with pure mathematics. Deductive is worse in natural sciences, esp. of course the more experimental branches.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deductive is the one with the more obvious practical merit. The one the success of which is more obvious in concrete results. People are naturally wired to find excuses for their inability to get results in life. They jump on the chance to call themselves the less "practical" and "result oriented" of the two alternatives because this allows them to rationalize their failures and sail on the comfortable belief that they have these magical, unprovable positive qualities that will manifest in some way in the future and turn their fate around somehow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guesses..

could be related to deductive reasoning--breaking a whole into its requisite parts and forming a (potentially sequential) "mental model" of what's occurring. This kind of makes sense to me since my ISTj boss's brain is like a deductive reasoning machine

Under inductive reasoning, one is looking for general patterns behind specific occurrences, so, possibly .
    IEE-Ne | ENFP | 4w3-6w7-9w1 so/sp/sx | sCoA|I| | Sanguine/Choleric | Benevolent Inventor

birthday frog wishes you a happy birthday
    birthday frog will give you presents and a card on your birthday
    birthday frog is Fe incarnate

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about a possible rationality/irrationality difference?

Peter is definitely deductive > inductive, fwiw.
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Deductive is the one with the more obvious practical merit. The one the success of which is more obvious in concrete results. People are naturally wired to find excuses for their inability to get results in life. They jump on the chance to call themselves the less "practical" and "result oriented" of the two alternatives because this allows them to rationalize their failures and sail on the comfortable belief that they have these magical, unprovable positive qualities that will manifest in some way in the future and turn their fate around somehow.
    Uhm, so you think everybody likes to call themselves inductive because it provides more room for excusing one's own mistakes-faults?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm clearly deductive.

I'm skeptical about everything and I like to test and confirm things first before I believe them.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I'm clearly deductive.

I'm skeptical about everything and I like to test and confirm things first before I believe them.
    For me it's not as much about what I "believe" as it is about what's workable/useful. Or even simply interesting. Not much is really set in stone though.
    SEE

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Victor Gulenko, Inductive reasoning is exhibitted by Result types and Deductive reasoning is exhibitted by Process types.

I identify very strongly with Inductive.

Inductive reasoning and deductive reasoning alternate eachother by definition. It is impossible to do one without the other. It is absurd to say that a person reasons inductively to the exclusion of deduction or vice versa. Whatever judgment you end up making is of a "more this than that" variety rather than an absolute distinction.

Uhm, so you think everybody likes to call themselves inductive because it provides more room for excusing one's own mistakes-faults?
    Yes, but there are several other social mechanisms at play. "Originality bias" is one of them: if everybody calls themselves inductive, the next person is going to want to call themselves deductive to be the "special" one. "Bias of disproof" is another: if I say everybody will call themselves inductive, people will want to proove me wrong because they like it when other people turn out not to be more powerful/knowledgable than them.

The material is sufficiently vague that people can always find ways to justify a choice for either alternative. This means the biases determine to quite a large degree what they will choose. It's generally a good thing to stop and think about what might really be going on in their heads.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand what the static vs. dynamic dichotomy would have to do with it.
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I don't understand what the static vs. dynamic dichotomy would have to do with it.
    Extracting patterns from ever-changing data (dynamic) is a typically inductive process.
    Building, certifying, creating well-defined or not-well-defined relationships is typically a deductive process.

That was my supposition. Obviously, by putting forth this type of reasoning I'm falsifying my own conclusions, since I'm reasoning deductively from the definition of dynamic and static. Thus, probably labcoat is right, it's a necessarily intertwined dichotomy.

@labcoat: I still don't understand how inductive or deductive can truly have any embedded self-judgement of value. I've never heard or read anybody taking pride in either modus operandi. Mmmh.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another dichotomy that seems close is tactical/strategic. In inductive reasoning you know what you want to prove/explain, while in deductive reasoning you apply accepted methods to assumptions and see where it goes - interpolating vs extrapolating.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building, certifying, creating well-defined or not-well-defined relationships is typically a deductive process.
    "Building" and "creating" are actually typically inductive. Induction is the establishment of laws from observed occasions. It is inherently something that "builds" up a model of what was observed.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deductive. Like most (all?) dichotomies, I find the deduction/induction dichotomy a little weak, because one could never make a theory completely independent of any observation whatsoever, and one could never derive anything at all from evidence without some degree of purely theoretical assumptions acting as framework. However, in the beginning stages of thinking about something, I tend more towards minimal observation and maximal theorization, which is (ideally, but not commonly) reversed in the later "confirmation" stages.

Also, an advantage of pure deductive reasoning is that it yields necessary conclusions while inductive reasoning can yield only probable conclusions.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Extracting patterns from ever-changing data (dynamic) is a typically inductive process.

That was my supposition. Obviously, by putting forth this type of reasoning I'm falsifying my own conclusions, since I'm reasoning deductively from the definition of dynamic and static. Thus, probably labcoat is right, it's a necessarily intertwined dichotomy.

@labcoat: I still don't understand how inductive or deductive can truly have any embedded self-judgement of value. I've never heard or read anybody taking pride in either modus operandi. Mmmh.
    Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    Also, an advantage of pure deductive reasoning is that it yields necessary conclusions while inductive reasoning can yield only probable conclusions.
    I prefer probable conclusions. It's much less troublesome when they're wrong.
    SEE

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I prefer probable conclusions. It's much less troublesome when they're wrong.

True, though. Advantage is a relative term. I probably should've said "feature".
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps, the degree of "ductivity" is dependent on the functional dimensions?
    The end is nigh