Thread: The Nine Nations of North America

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    Canada's Prairie Farmland
    5 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Nine Nations of North America

I'm sure we're all familiar with the concept of "macrotypes", the idea that nations and groups of people have sociotypes of their own (see bottom of this page). But as far as I know, no-one has typed the various cultural regions of North America.

This isn't really necessary in Europe, with all those tiny little countries, but here in North America, our countries encompass several different cultural regions, each of which surely have their own macrotypes.

I think the work of Joel Garreau would be helpful here. First, the
    Wikipedia article, and the associated map:

Here's a short summary of the various regions from the article:

The Foundry
    Includes New York, Pennsylvania, and the Great Lakes Region. At the time of publication (1981), The Foundry region was in significant decline as a manufacturing center. The region includes the metropolitan areas of New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Toronto, and Detroit. Garreau selected Detroit as the capital city of this region but considered Manhattan an anomaly within the region.

With a capital city of Los Angeles, Garreau proposed that the Southwestern United States (including California's Central Valley) and Northern Mexico would be a region onto itself. Stretching from Texas to the Pacific Coast, MexAmerica's common Mexican heritage and the Spanish language unite this region.

The Breadbasket
    Much of the Midwest, stretching from northern Texas to the southern parts of the Prairie Provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba), this region is essentially the Great Plains and is, according to Garreau, the heartland of North America. Garreau's proposed capital city is Kansas City.

Named after a book of the same name, Ecotopia with a capital city of San Francisco is the liberal Pacific Coast from southern Alaska to Santa Barbara, including the Washington, Oregon, and Northern California metropolitan areas of Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco.

New England
    Consisting of what is traditionally known as New England (Connecticut to Maine), this region of the nine nations includes the Canadian Maritime provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, along with the Atlantic province of Newfoundland and Labrador. The capital of New England is Boston.

The Empty Quarter
    The Empty Quarter includes everything from about 105 degrees west longitude to Ecotopia on the Pacific Coast. It also includes everything north of the Breadbasket so it includes all of Alberta and Northern Canada. The capital city of this sparsely populated nation is Denver.

The Southeastern United States except for Southern Florida. Some refer to Dixie as being the former Confederate States of America but it doesn't travel directly along state lines. It includes southern Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana. The capital city of Dixie is Atlanta.

Garreau's only nation that consists of a single province or state is Francophone Quebec. Their constant efforts at succession led him to create this unique nation out of the province. Obviously, the capital of the nation is Quebec City.

The Islands
    Southern Florida and the islands of the Caribbean comprise the nation known as The Islands. With a capital city of Miami. At the time of the book's publication, this region's main industry was drug smuggling.
    The author's (rather long-winded) website is here: The Garreau Group

I've only started thinking about this. I think the Breadbasket (my home) is probably some kind of Delta. And the Foundry could be some kind of Gamma, what with its emphasis on production and business. Could Dixie be Beta? Or Delta? It seems Aristocratic, to me.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone else but me is interested in this sort of thing, but I figured I'd post this just in case someone is.
    Quaero Veritas.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    New York
    14 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

Ecotopia: IEE/Delta NF
    Dixie: Beta ST
    New England: Hmmm... Gamma SF or Delta ST on first blush.
    No idea about any of the others.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.