Thread: Se valuing and valuing confidence

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Se valuing and valuing confidence

There is a girl I know whose type remains to be determined, although I guarantee she is logical. She told me that she is not confident in her opinions, so therefore she has "no right" to state them. She believes that the reason people question her is the direct consequence of her not being confident in her arguments, and that this is the reason she very rarely talks.

Is this an example of Se valuing/seeking, valuing confidence and power to the degree that the lack of it means you don't deserve certain things, like the right to speak?
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, she's just insecure. Probably had parents who quelled her intellectual development or told her she never knew what she was talking about.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    No, she's just insecure. Probably had parents who quelled her intellectual development or told her she never knew what she was talking about.
    true. my mom is like that.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think confidence is related more to faith in your own strengths, not Se in particular. So an Se-ego type might be confident in his ability to assert himself physically, while an Ne-ego type might be confident in his ability to perceive potential and possibilities.

One of the biggest assets of socionics, in my opinion, is helping people to know what their strong points are, and what their weak points are. You can't be confident in your strengths if you don't even know what they are.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a girl I know whose type remains to be determined, although I guarantee she is logical. She told me that she is not confident in her opinions, so therefore she has "no right" to state them. She believes that the reason people question her is the direct consequence of her not being confident in her arguments, and that this is the reason she very rarely talks.
    The bolded parts sound more like weak T functions. Not generally something NT types have a problem with.
    Last edited by krieger; 12-30-2009 at 11:22 PM.

TIM
    IEI!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't that Te PoLR? I suck at arguing my point, I often think I have made some kind of mistake and someone is going to beast me with some killer logical argument. So I just sit back even though my point is often valid anways...
    IEI, sp/sx 4w3.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

: D idk
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"It's not what you wear, it's how you wear it."

In other words, confidence is 90% of your appearance. Carry yourself well and you'll look good, regardless of your actual appearance.

Granted, those who habitually carry themselves well also tend to respect themselves enough to take care of their bodies relatively well...
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamajama View Post

Is this an example of Se valuing/seeking, valuing confidence and power to the degree that the lack of it means you don't deserve certain things, like the right to speak?
    She's an LII. I tend to withhold my opinions for the same reason. Usually when I offer an opinion, it doesn't turn out to be the end of the debate, and I'm often not sure of it anyway.

What to find intolerable and what not to, and how to express that intolerance? LIIs tend to leave such matters to others (such as ESEs).

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're not going to convince anyone here that you have a general lack of confidence in your opinions and argumentation, tcaudilllg. What a complete lack of self knowledge.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    You're not going to convince anyone here that you have a general lack of confidence in your opinions and argumentation, tcaudilllg. What a complete lack of self knowledge.
    Actually, my opinions tend to be very fixed, and I usually borrow them from the general political sphere. Bill Clinton, in particular, influences my opinions a great deal. I find myself relying on him a lot with regard to the recent health care debate. I believed the public option a necessity, but I was never really in favor of it because I didn't want that many people working for the government. Altogether I think the non-profit co-op plan will work out better, if they give it the tools to succeed.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who do you "borrow" your views and arguments on dual types from?

(why do I even argue)

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamajama View Post

It depends on her reason for not being confident in them. For example, I would not state an opinion of mine if I do not feel it is sufficiently backed up. Else, I would clearly state that I could very well be wrong. I am one to agree with her. If I don't think it's true, I feel as though I don't have a right to say it.

I find it extremely unlikely that any Ti-base type would ever even consider that they are unconfident in their opinion. Confidence is relative to what you're talking about. All types have confidence in their ego functions for example.
    3w4-5w6-9w8