Thread: Being understood by others

Creepy-

Default Being understood by others

Last edited by female; 03-06-2011 at 04:51 AM.

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be on guard, sweetcheeks
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be flattered and I would want to talk to them more and become their friend if possible. Wonderful Ne is the only thing able to figure out this mysterious me.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno. That person would either become my new best friend, or I would hate them for a month and then they would become my new best friend. Also, when you talked about understanding people, I immediately thought NiFe. I guess NeFi also understands people, but in a different way. I would probably be more receptive to the NiFe way, obviously.

I've always been afraid that some alternate version of me would suddenly appear in my life and point out how incredibly psychologically transparent I am. But I'm also excited by that idea. Ideally I would respond in kind with a similarly weirdly accurate assessment of this individual's psychological state. Then we'd be friends. The NiFe-psychicness equivalent of two people having a fight and then becoming friends (Enkidu/Gilgamesh).
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I would feel violated. Full understanding (if there is such a thing) comes naturally and gradually over time.

I also think that nobody really has that ability. People can have a powerful physical presence and control people that way, but so far in reverse, I haven't seen anybody being able to control people with 'full insight' (ie magic) alone. You can size people up pretty well with your intuition but they will always surprise you.

So you are asking a question about an ability that nobody has. Even extremely powerful people like politicians, who are extremely insightful, or celebrities- don't have it. I was bombarded once by celebs who kept trying to guess me because I kept quiet and wouldn't talk to them. They were wrong about almost everything.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    I would be flattered and I would want to talk to them more and become their friend if possible. Wonderful Ne is the only thing able to figure out this mysterious me.
    You were Ne yourself last week.

I'm starting to wonder if you are playing some kind of hoax on us.

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^yeah wtf
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think anyone understands me. Maybe my IEI friend does, to an extent. Heck sometimes I dont understand myself!

I'm IEI btw.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would most likely become strongly attracted to them immediately. Being genuinely understood is actually one of the few things that causes me to let my guard down. I figure, if someone was able to do so without having known me for a decent amount of time, it would speak volumes about who they are as a person.

Also, one of the most annoying things, is refusing to "be understood." Certain people just hide from it, no matter how well you get them and point things out. This is the ultimate form of pretension to me, and usually signifies a lack of self-awareness and a general fear of introspection. = repulsion
    Last edited by strrrng; 12-19-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    I would most likely become strongly attracted to them immediately. Being genuinely understood is actually one of the few things that causes me to let my guard down. I figure, if someone was able to do so without having known me for a decent amount of time, it would speak volumes about who they are as a person.
    Also, probably the most annoying thing is refusing to "be understood." Certain people just hide from it, no matter how well you get them and point things out. This is the ultimate form of pretension to me, and usually signifies a lack of self-awareness and a general fear of introspection. = repulsion
    Oh yes i forgot to comment on the OP's question. I feel the same way as strrrng. This would definitely impress me.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be a little suspicious at first and then probably intrigued. I would want to get to know this person better and ask them more about how they perceive me because I feel like no one really gets me that well.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post
    I would be on guard, sweetcheeks
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    I dunno. That person would either become my new best friend, or I would hate them for a month and then they would become my new best friend. Also, when you talked about understanding people, I immediately thought NiFe. I guess NeFi also understands people, but in a different way. I would probably be more receptive to the NiFe way, obviously.

I've always been afraid that some alternate version of me would suddenly appear in my life and point out how incredibly psychologically transparent I am. But I'm also excited by that idea. Ideally I would respond in kind with a similarly weirdly accurate assessment of this individual's psychological state. Then we'd be friends. The NiFe-psychicness equivalent of two people having a fight and then becoming friends (Enkidu/Gilgamesh).
    Okay, it's interesting that you and Bardia [Ne-PoLR and all] wouldn't be totally averse to this kind of thing. I wondered if it was a Ne-rejecting thing on her part [she's SLE]; and in a way maybe it was. It makes sense that she might have welcomed the same sorts of insights if they had been presented in an NiFe way.

This is how I would react as well; it fascinates me when I meet someone who is interested in and perceptive about people.

Also, one of the most annoying things, is refusing to "be understood." Certain people just hide from it, no matter how well you get them and point things out. This is the ultimate form of pretension to me, and usually signifies a lack of self-awareness and a general fear of introspection. = repulsion
    That drives me crazy too sometimes; I agree it can feel like the person is being pretentious.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to be understood, but I'd hate to be analyzed.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I'd love to be understood, but I'd hate to be analyzed.
    Ah, this is an important distinction. I agree 100%.

Actually, one of the reasons I didn't go into a psychology field was bc I didn't want to become one of those creepy people who analyzes everyone. And lo and behold I discovered socionics and the enneagram, and do it all the time anyway The trick is to keep the analysis part to yourself, I think, heh.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I've observed that Fi/Te types often feel (over)analyzed by Fe/Ti types. I wonder how much this factors into feeling understood. Fe'ers usually care more about getting inside of peoples' nuances, and extracting more general understandings of how they work; with Fi/Te, it seems more integral and implicit, like they gauge who a person is before determining how they actually 'operate.'
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone claims to understand me completely, I'll make them responsible for every area of my life until they fail to fully account for something - then I'll take that as proof that they don't understand me completely (I actually ran through this process mentally the last time someone claimed to "see right through me"; outwardly, I just ignored them). If they simply understand a particular rarely-understood thing about me, I'd take that as a lucky chance; I'd take more interest in that person for the sake of that one thing, but wouldn't expect them to also understand other things about me, unless they were related in some way to the first thing.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Creepy-

Interesting. I've observed that Fi/Te types often feel (over)analyzed by Fe/Ti types. I wonder how much this factors into feeling understood. Fe'ers usually care more about getting inside of peoples' nuances, and extracting more general understandings of how they work; with Fi/Te, it seems more integral and implicit, like they gauge who a person is before determining how they actually 'operate.'
    I would agree w this, and especially w the last sentence.

Regarding the first part, maybe Fi/Te-ers feel that way bc Fe/Ti types are often more vocal about their analysis... and [and this is from my experience w a couple of EIEs and is not meant as a generalization] they sometimes notice something [say, someone behaves a certain way in a particular context] and assume it's a constant feature of that person's personality, which it very well may not be, then form opinions based on that. That can be irritating. Then again, doing that may not be type-related at all; I'm sure people of all types jump to conclusions from time to time....

For clarification: I'm not talking about understanding someone completely; I don't claim to be able to do that, and that is not what this thread is about. I'm just talking about picking up on nuances that a person may think are not obvious to others and understanding them, maybe beyond what they would have expected.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoapOfSapphire View Post
    I would agree w this, and especially w the last sentence.

Regarding the first part, maybe Fi/Te-ers feel that way bc Fe/Ti types are often more vocal about their analysis... and [and this is from my experience w a couple of EIEs and is not meant as a generalization] they sometimes notice something [say, someone behaves a certain way in a particular context] and assume it's a constant feature of that person's personality, which it very well may not be, then form opinions based on that. That can be irritating. Then again, doing that may not be type-related at all; I'm sure people of all types jump to conclusions from time to time....
    Makes sense. Fe/Ti does work in a sort of inductive way, in the sense of tracking latent activity and building more cohesive ideas to define and categorize it. Once a 'law' has been established by a Fe/Ti individual, it's not especially likely to change, unless a significant Fe variance makes itself apparent (which will probably only refine it).

Conversely, it seems that Fi determines these core traits and laws as precedents for actions; this is the thing that can feel presumptuous to Fe/Ti'ers, because it seems as though the Fi/Te'er isn't open to the variations in peoples' behaviors. I guess Te acts as a more objective monitor, which can allow Fi to 're-shift' if necessary.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Fi is cross contextual and yet a context in itself, sorta like a combination of Ni and Ne. Like the Fi "beam" is the same for all individuals and unique to them. So a different social context does not alter the Fi relation.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. I tend to see all field functions as contexts in their own; but where external fields act more as eliminating mechanisms (establishing parameters for what things aren't, in order to filter the relevancy of internal object variances), internal fields seem to assume latent coherence beforehand.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You brilliant man, staring into the abyss!
    The end is nigh

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh why did you have to say abyss...
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Yet to be determined