Hybrid View

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default attitudes toward smoking

I'm curious about peoples' attitudes toward this activity. What prompted you to start, why did you continue, what do you see as valuable in it, to what degree does it act as a fix for you, do you incorporate ritualistic settings for it, etc.?
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ritualistic settings??? I don't get it, I'm not setting up like a seance with deities or anything like that...
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, then what do you do? You'd be surprised at the amount of ritual that can go into the pursuit, whether it be expressed in an underground sect of cigar lovers, or the solitary pursuit of a devoted addict.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm glad i don't have to answer any of these questions.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What prompted you to start,
    -curiosity. hey this is something new

why did you continue,
    -curiosity. it just happened, i guess. the consequences were too far off into the future, i couldn't convince myself of them.

what do you see as valuable in it, to what degree does it act as a fix for you,
    -time alone. time to think about things. it's something to do.
    -first morning cigarette, the buzz.
    -also, it's acts as a filler. so it was a good day, what now? cigarette. you're sad today --> cigarette.

do you incorporate ritualistic settings for it, etc.?
    -music. always.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica
    Valuable... I just like it. Keeps me sitting still for a while. Reflection time, maybe. Focuses me. For quite a long time afterwards also, actually.
    Same. There's a sense of personal attachment that develops, which only enhances the feelings of calm and focus that usually stem from the activity.

Rituals? Yes. Comfort. I want to feel comfortable smoking. I prefer to sit down, preferably with a coffee. Feel warm (so I smoke less in winter). And it's a bonus if there are people present smoking too. If I'm cold, in a hurry or stressed, I don't smoke. If I did, it would just go back to being an addiction again, and then the cigarettes would be worthless. I want to be aware of every cigarette, and I almost manage.
    Yeah, I would never want it to act as fuel for a job or something. And coffee is definitely the preferable substance to go with it, especially in winter time.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by matilda
    -first morning cigarette, the buzz.
    YES. It is quite a soothing feeling to wake up with an itch and swiftly satiate it through a nice smoke. I would say that's the most "routine" aspect of my habit.

-also, it's acts as a filler. so it was a good day, what now? cigarette. you're sad today --> cigarette.
    Indeed. And it's not so much like other drugs, where you actually escape into another psychological realm or whatever; it just numbs and calms you, reestablishes some internal rhythm.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cigarette smoke actually gives me headaches, not to mention that it smells like shit if you haven't been around it in a while. I just realized this conversation is about smokers only, so nevermind.

I tried smoking before. It was when my friends gave um up, and I had my few. I did it because it would make me feel cooler physically, not in the sense that I needed to get my cools. I was doing just fine, and I'm not addicted. Same with alchohol. I had my few, but I don't anymore, and I'm not addicted.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    I would never date let alone kiss a smoker I don't know why people do it it's expensive, harmful to themselves and others and makes you reek.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find people who complain about the smell of nicotine rather annoying. Aside from the fact that you can choose where to go and who to associate with, you really aren't entitled to impose on someone else's pleasure because it happens to be displeasing to you.

Also, the recent statute regarding restaurants becoming non-smoking by default, unless supplied with air ventilation and specifically demarcated sections, is a pure debacle. Restaurants attain character by permitting or banning smoking, not by sterilizing themselves to become more "productive," with a potentially added benefit for those who prefer to smoke. Just another gratification of a petty complaint and attempt to look healthy and diplomatic.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    Aside from the fact that you can choose where to go and who to associate with, you really aren't entitled to impose on someone else's pleasure because it happens to be displeasing to you.
    Not really. People everywhere seem to smoke. Right when I exit a stuffy building to get some crisp fresh air for instance, the first thing that rushes through my nose and lungs is a big heap of tarry smoke. Aside from that some of my relatives smoke, and I have to associate myself with them from time to time. Their sensory world becomes mine.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What, are you going to complain about people smoking freely outside?
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, because it sucks for me. It's not that big of a deal though. It's just that the point in time gets really ruined. Right when I was having a good day, for instance. I could have a long drawn out headache. However I hate people who complain too. My relatives seem to complain that they get headaches, where as I don't really complain, I just escape the chaos. So it's "probably because you smoke and tendency for headaches is genetically linked, and you should drink soda with caffiene, and maybe try to chill out for like two minutes." Damn EJs. I also have noticed that when someone mentions that they have a headache, it makes me sort of get one. If they can just shut up and keep their thoughts to themselves, everything would be fine.
    Last edited by 717495; 12-19-2009 at 01:39 AM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find people who complain about the smell of nicotine rather annoying. Aside from the fact that you can choose where to go and who to associate with, you really aren't entitled to impose on someone else's pleasure because it happens to be displeasing to you.
    I don't think that nicotine is the problem, the smell comes from the chemical compounds of the cig as a whole. Self-made cigs, with more natural compounds, have a much better smell, actually it can even be pleasurable
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    Yes. Comfort. I want to feel comfortable smoking. I prefer to sit down, preferably with a coffee. Feel warm (so I smoke less in winter). And it's a bonus if there are people present smoking too. If I'm cold, in a hurry or stressed, I don't smoke. If I did, it would just go back to being an addiction again, and then the cigarettes would be worthless. I want to be aware of every cigarette, and I almost manage.
    yes especially the bold, I used to be a heavy smoker, but for only two years. people who have smoke for decades or like my father who has happened to smoke Marlboro red for 40 years now can't quit. As of today I basically haven't touched a cigarettes, if I do it would be one or two at most for one day. but now that I am more into cigars, I smoke that occasionally, I don't inhale, and like you say its like an enjoyment, especially at the present of many people, parties with a cigar would be a nice present, I almost never smoke outdoor now, you will enjoy it much better if you situate yourself comfortably when enjoying.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maduros are my babies.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hitta View Post
    Maduros are my babies.
    Check Cigars International - discount cigars, humidors, cigar accessories thur slickdeals.net. They have samples sales running at 8 premium cigars for just around 15. they aren't cheap shit either. I have been buying from them whenever there is a deal.

1)

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maduros... cigarsinternational... you fuckers really are up on this stuff.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think 'comfortable' settings are always necessary for a good smoke. Tonight it snowed a blanket over the city; I smoked on a bench with snowflakes hitting my face; it was blissful.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think 'comfortable' settings are always necessary for a good smoke. Tonight it snowed a blanket over the city; I smoked on a bench with snowflakes hitting my face; it was blissful.
    ok, me and Mimosa Pudica can smoke by the fireplace, you can have your bless outside.

1)

2)

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 07490 View Post
    ok, me and Mimosa Pudica can smoke by the fireplace, you can have your bless outside.
    No, Mimosa and I will smoke in the hot tub. You can lie down on the dog's blanket inside, next to the fireplace.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, Mimosa and I will smoke in the hot tub. You can lie down on the dog's blanket inside, next to the fireplace.
    I'm better looking than you, now Stop.

1)

2)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i had to stop smoking because i am diseased. but when i was aloud to smoke, i smoked because i liked to feel buzzed. then i kept smoking because i couldn't stop. pretty simple really.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

smoking aint for me, but I do get why people do it:

If you are already naturally good looking, it does make you look cool, despite the 'after school messages' told in high school. It's just plain erotic.

"Two narcissistic straight guys with their shirts off discussing philosophy and sharing a smoke." Innately homoerotic without being 'gay' and losing one sense's of masculinity.

Oh and it is relaxing. cool, sexy, erotic, relaxing.

As for other people being offended by the smell, I think this all just depends on the brand of cigs. Some I actually like, I like to inhale the fumes while other people smoke but others are just gag-worthy nasty.

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about we call them the Barely Legal Little Leaguers? I would include a free copy of our Super Sluts Slurping Loads DVD for every parent that attends the game. The DVD features over 3 hours of sluts with hilarious outtakes and alternate endings. I could even have a few of our stars come out and mud wrestle during the 7th inning stretch. I think it could pull in a lot more of an audience for your little league.

HAHAHAHA
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i smoked for 15 years. newports. loved the "newport blast". lol. i really miss it. but i don't wanna die from lung cancer. i now have 15 years clean from smoking. when i grow old, i'm going to start again. then i won't care.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol spliffs you must come to richmond
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM