8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default It's Complicated - the movie

I just saw a commercial for a movie called "It's Complicated"

It stars Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin

That forms a near complete beta quadra.

Streep = LSI . Baldwin = Ti-SLE . Martin = EIE

Here's another way that Socionics can be helpful, right..? Good casting for films.

(It'll be interesting to see if there's an IEI w/ a prominent role in the film, which would form a complete beta quadra.)

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you trying to say that these people are betas in real life or in this movie?
    I highly doubt any of them are what you think they are; and if Steve Martin is EIE then I'm changing my type haha.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    Are you trying to say that these people are betas in real life or in this movie?
    I highly doubt any of them are what you think they are; and if Steve Martin is EIE then I'm changing my type haha.
    Yes, they are all beta in real life... I haven't seen the movie. (Actually, I'm not 100% on Steve Martin--the other two, yes... Definitely beta STs. Steve Martin might be ESFj--I haven't studied him in enough detail to say with certainty...)

If you're EIE, Meryl's your dual, Morcheeba.
    Last edited by JuJu; 12-17-2009 at 03:18 AM.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I just say that I am extremely glad that Meryl Streep is in my quadra. That alone should convince all doubters that beta is the best quadra easily. Also, it should demonstrate that just because someone doesn't have a given function in their ego, doesn't mean that they can't do activities typically associated with that function. Assuming this typing is right (on first blush, I believe it) Meryl has weak (suggestive) Fe, and yet she's one of the best actresses of the current generation. In fact, those who approach activities typically associated with a given function who do not have that function in their ego can be even better than those who do, because they approach the activity from a different perspective and make it work. That's my two cents for the moment. Yay Meryl Streep!
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meryl Streep is in Beta? Nooo

Look at these expressions:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meryl Streep is one of the two older women I'd have sex with. The other one is Candice Bergen. Just thought you all wanted to know that.

Meryl Streep is in Beta? Nooo
    Honestly, I think I've typed her before as not-LSI, based on her Inside the Actor's Studio interview, but if Juju says she's LSI, I'm more than glad to welcome her into my quadra!

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Martin is IEE. Streep is Fi/Te.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Martin is not in fucking Beta holy shit.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Steve Martin is IEE. Streep is Fi/Te.
    He goes on my list of people that know wtf they are talking about.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    She kind of looks like Uma Thurman there...

Anyway, fwiw I like Baldwin and Streep, but the movie doesn't really appeal to me.

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    Can I just say that I am extremely glad that Meryl Streep is in my quadra. That alone should convince all doubters that beta is the best quadra easily. Also, it should demonstrate that just because someone doesn't have a given function in their ego, doesn't mean that they can't do activities typically associated with that function. Assuming this typing is right (on first blush, I believe it) Meryl has weak (suggestive) Fe, and yet she's one of the best actresses of the current generation. In fact, those who approach activities typically associated with a given function who do not have that function in their ego can be even better than those who do, because they approach the activity from a different perspective and make it work. That's my two cents for the moment. Yay Meryl Streep!
    haha@your misguided optimism

You put too much faith in JuJu's typing skills, come to your own conclusions.

I doubt their all beta, really really doubt.

There is no best quadra, either.

Lastly, your rationale is bullshit, I wouldn't say 'better' at all, their DIFFERENT, definitely.
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, there's no such thing as a better function or a better quadra for that matter.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the assessment of Meryl Streep that she's one of the best actors of her generation... She's a chameleon, able to play many different sorts of roles.

The roles that she takes on tend to be beta, e.g. in Angels in America, Doubt, (in which she plays an archetypal stubborn LSI,) The French Lieutenant's Woman, The River Wild, and The Devil Wears Prada.

Her fiance was John Cazale, who was LSI. She's very good friends with Clint Eastwood, LSI.

Could she be Ni-EIE..? (Obviously, she's not in the Sandra Bullock, Fe-ENFj, mold.) Se-LSI..? (ala Brooke Shields, except a better actress.)TBH, I've gone back and forth between the two.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    Yeah, there's no such thing as a better function or a better quadra for that matter.
    Yes. I agree.

Morcheeba: I'm just curious... how did you get the understanding of Socionics--in two or three months--that you currently have..? No offense, I'm just wondering how you came about having such strong opinions, (which seem to contradict Model A,) in such a short time.

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    Yes. I agree.

Morcheeba: I'm just curious... how did you get the understanding of Socionics--in two or three months--that you currently have..? No offense, I'm just wondering how you came about having such strong opinions, (which seem to contradict Model A,) in such a short time.
    It doesn't take years to get this theory if you understand how Model A works btw. I do use Model A for my typings and I can see why you would have difficulties with your own type because you have a strong use of your id block functions. Anyways, I spent time talking to Nick and Mercutio who have been at this forum for a # of years, and their understanding is much better than your own. Nick told me he talked to you quite a bit over the summer, said it seemed like you might have a chance of understanding; we can see now this is something you use to try and debunk the theory for your own selfish reasons.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gotta be honest, my face almost exploded when I saw Steve Martin typed as EIE.

And morcheeba, don't listen to Juju or any of this "experience" horse shit; I've been here twice as long as he has and he thinks I'm deluded. Unfortunately he doesn't have the requisite capacity for introspection to recognize that he's just going through one of those phases in life where he is trying to be perfect, so he vents his repressed angst in the form of condescension instead of dealing with it like a real human. If you had known him, say, a year ago, you would see how sad it really is.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Martin kind of looks ENFj here lol

He kind of reminds me of Harrison Ford, now that they're both old and whatnot.

Harrison is seen by different people as ISTp and ENTp. I've seen Steve Martin typed as ISTp and ENFp.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I gotta be honest, my face almost exploded when I saw Steve Martin typed as EIE.
    Even though this is just hyperbole, dude you're taking this stuff too seriously... I mean, re-read your post. Considering that you know me only via the internet: you're speculating as to my "capacity for introspection." (Wtf?)

Did I hurt your feelings or something, Gilly..? I mean, why get so personal that you're posting wimpy, pseudo-psycho horseshit about me--a person you don't even know in real life..?

Why not just post your ideas about Socionics..? (And try to back them up?)

Isn't that why you're here..?

What's bizarre to me--truly bizarre, George--and maybe you can help me to understand this... I come back here about a month or two ago--and out-of-nowhere this girl Morcheeba shows up in every thread I post, full of animosity toward me... "You don't understand" this and that... And when I ask her about it, it's always "Nick said blah blah... You're retarded blah blah blah"

LOL... I don't even know this person... It's fucking weird man. Internet stalker or some shit.

You are right though--"experience" doesn't matter. What matters is--in light of the theory--how accurately you assess yourself, your relations, (and others' and theirs.)

I'm just gonna say this once: I don't care that you believe in a different Socionics than I do... You know what I'm saying? LOL man I really don't... When I criticize that version of Socionics, I am not criticizing you as a human being... Steve Martin could be any type in your version of Socionics, Gilly--it's fine by me, whatever you say.

It pisses me off that i have to waste my time writing posts like this to clear the air with you... It feels like in high school, when I used to have to talk to ex-girlfriends for saying annoying shit when I've got a new gf... It's just extraneous and tiresome, and why look back at the ugly..? I'd rather talk about different things--even with you.
    Last edited by JuJu; 12-17-2009 at 02:18 AM.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Steve Martin kind of looks ENFj here lol

He kind of reminds me of Harrison Ford, now that they're both old and whatnot.

Harrison is seen by different people as ISTp and ENTp. I've seen Steve Martin typed as ISTp and ENFp.
    He looks like an ENFj in the Chris Matthews mold.

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JuJu you came back here and suddenly started pushing your version of socionics out of nowhere as well.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    JuJu you came back here and suddenly started pushing your version of socionics out of nowhere as well.
    What do you expect me to do..?

I'm explaining what I've learned and experienced w/ Socionics. What works for me, and what's benefited me. You know..?

What you believe did not work for me, or benefit me (except indirectly as a learning experience)--although I understand it, and tried it out in real life.

The only problem I have with what you believe is that it did not work for me. If it did, I would be singing its praises.

Seriously--what would you rather me do?

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well you can still find your dual and not correctly type them lol.

Im not trying to take away your experiences man, only the false consistency you are trying to create which interferes with what i consider accurate typings.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well you can still find your dual and not correctly type them lol.

Im not trying to take away your experiences man, only the false consistency you are trying to create which interferes with what i consider accurate typings.
    So the heart of this is: you think I have myself, (my dual--a person you do not know,) and a lot of people typed incorrectly.

I think you have yourself, and a lot of people typed incorrectly... For example, I'd type you as INFp.

Where to go from there?

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol and there it is.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol and there it is.
    Right.

My typings usually line-up with (a large % of the time) Expat, niffweed17, and to a lesser extent, Rick... We all reached comparable understandings of Socionics on our own.

In other words, when I write about my understanding here--it's not an anomaly... I've found that it works in real life to predict relationships, whereas the understanding you proffer [did] not. (I tried it, remember.)

Thus I don't understand what your--or Nick or Gilly's or lol Morcheeba's--problem is... It's not like I didn't give your understanding a fair chance, or like I'm coming out of left field.

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The end is nigh

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather you respond to the post...

Whenever I try to talk about Socionics with any of you, I get shit like that.

It's like you're unwilling to debate.

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather you respond to the post...

We weren't talking about anything specific, though. I guess we could talk about steve martin, but honestly i dont really feel like it.

Also, stop lumping me in with groups, you aristocrat bastard.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Steve Martin as EIE is a really odd suggestion. Where did it come from? IMO, he's Ne/Si through and through.
    Watch the first minute or two of the interview below... (The purposeful facial expressions for comedic effect... That's Fe.)

Below he talks about majoring in philosophy in college (Ni,) and twisting sentence structure (Ti valuing) for comedic effect:

"It changed what I believe and what I think about everything. I majored in philosophy. Something about non sequiturs appealed to me. In philosophy, I started studying logic, and they were talking about cause and effect, and you start to realize, 'Hey, there is no cause and effect! There is no logic! There is no anything!' Then it gets real easy to write this stuff, because all you have to do is twist everything hard—you twist the punch line, you twist the non sequitur so hard away from the things that set it up, that it's easy . . . and it's thrilling.

Much of what Steve Martin has written have been bildungsroman plots--from "The Jerk" to his play "WASP"--an Ni valuing form of writing.

Fe + Ni = INFp or ENFj... I think ENFj is the best typing for him.

Last edited by JuJu; 12-17-2009 at 03:06 AM.

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or it's being a professional actor/comedian lol.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or it's being a professional actor/comedian lol.
    Different Sociotypes tend to use their own valued functions to do different sorts of comedy, e.g. Jay Leno (using Fe and Si) comes across differently than Sam Kinison (using Ti and Se) or Johnny Carson (using Fi and Se.)

Steve Martin's use of Fe and Ni make me think he's ENFj... (Or like I said earlier, maybe ESFj...)

If you believe differently, why don't you throw up a case for a typing and we'll see if it sticks?
    Last edited by JuJu; 12-17-2009 at 03:21 AM.

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes different types use their functions in comedy.

But I'm not seeing how he is using Fe or Ni. His humor is quirky, goofy, and dry...

can you please explain how he is ENFj?
    The end is nigh

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you please explain how he is ENFj?
    See above post...

Like I said earlier though, I'm not 100% sure on Martin... I still think he could be ESFj.

His wife seems to be INTj, and he has an awful lot of Alpha connections... Carl Reiner, Tom Hanks, etc.

This is a good way to hash out typings though, e.g. one person knows [some piece of info], another person another, and then, after sharing info for awhile, you get the type correct...

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uhg tom hanks is totally enfp.

That sappy Fi bullshit pervades everything he does.

Forest Gump: DELTA.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Below he talks about majoring in philosophy in college (Ni,) and twisting sentence structure (Ti valuing) for comedic effect:
    [/url]
    Yay I'm EIE!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though this is just hyperbole, dude you're taking this stuff too seriously... I mean, re-read your post. Considering that you know me only via the internet: you're speculating as to my "capacity for introspection." (Wtf?)

Did I hurt your feelings or something, Gilly..? I mean, why get so personal that you're posting wimpy, pseudo-psycho horseshit about me--a person you don't even know in real life..?

Why not just post your ideas about Socionics..? (And try to back them up?)

Isn't that why you're here..?

What's bizarre to me--truly bizarre, George--and maybe you can help me to understand this... I come back here about a month or two ago--and out-of-nowhere this girl Morcheeba shows up in every thread I post, full of animosity toward me... "You don't understand" this and that... And when I ask her about it, it's always "Nick said blah blah... You're retarded blah blah blah"

LOL... I don't even know this person... It's fucking weird man. Internet stalker or some shit.

You are right though--"experience" doesn't matter. What matters is--in light of the theory--how accurately you assess yourself, your relations, (and others' and theirs.)

I'm just gonna say this once: I don't care that you believe in a different Socionics than I do... You know what I'm saying? LOL man I really don't... When I criticize that version of Socionics, I am not criticizing you as a human being... Steve Martin could be any type in your version of Socionics, Gilly--it's fine by me, whatever you say.

It pisses me off that i have to waste my time writing posts like this to clear the air with you... It feels like in high school, when I used to have to talk to ex-girlfriends for saying annoying shit when I've got a new gf... It's just extraneous and tiresome, and why look back at the ugly..? I'd rather talk about different things--even with you.
    ...wait, who is taking this too seriously?

Honestly I think you are just projecting a lot of presumptions centering around the fact that Nick and I hang out a lot. My methods of typing haven't changed, nor have my typing criteria. If anything I rely less on the theoretical wish wash that used to get me so confused about typing people a year or so ago, but that trend was in place well before I began discussing things more in depth with Nick. He and I still disagree on numerous topics in Socionics; I have by no means discarded my methods for his. And what's this shit about Morcheeba? Why do you think I care? Stop trying to insinuate that he is starting a Socionics cult.

Regarding the introspection thing, for fuck's sake, take it from one 3 to another, wipe your ass, and get on with it. If this mattered to you as little as you pretend, you wouldn't write a page-long rant in a petty attempt to condescendingly shit on me.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, Steve Martin is ESE.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't debate; you harangue, subvert and self-promote. Now, I don't know why you continue to make these comments in threads regarding me and anyone associated with me, but it's extremely childish and disrespectful. Morcheeba referenced me because we have conversed about socionics and have a mutual understanding of perspective. This, in contrast to you referencing people like Expat and Rick to ally yourself with alleged experts in order to give a sense of legitimacy to the "agreed upon" opinions that you each express.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post
    haha@your misguided optimism

You put too much faith in JuJu's typing skills, come to your own conclusions.

I doubt their all beta, really really doubt.

There is no best quadra, either.

Lastly, your rationale is bullshit, I wouldn't say 'better' at all, their DIFFERENT, definitely.
    You know i was mostly kidding right? If I were really interested in the matter, I would investigate it for myself, but I just expended a lot of energy on socionics earlier this week (well, relative to the amount of energy I normally expend on socionics) and so I decided to conditionally accept something because I liked it.

And of course, there is EDIT: NOT a best quadra. (Sorry, I meant to say not a best quadra, and then I guess I was half asleep when I posted that.)

About skills and whatnot, I would say, not unconditionally better, but inclined to be better insofar as they can both learn (by rote) the ways that people are used to doing it AND apply their own perspective which other people don't have access to (because it is unfamiliar and therefore not systematized/built into the "atmosphere" of the skill/trade/job/whatever). But yeah, if I implied unconditionally better I was wrong.

And I happen to be a big fan of my misguided optimism. Humph!
    Last edited by silverchris9; 12-17-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see Steve Martin as Si-ISTp more than ENFp tbh. You really think he's alpha?

He comes across IP, and nothing else really.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast