EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Boardgames for the quadras

Boardgames that represent (stereotypical) values of the quadras

Alpha - Pictionary

The game is played with teams with players trying to identify specific words from their teammates' drawings.
    The team chooses one person to begin drawing; this position rotates with each word. The drawer chooses a card out of a deck of special Pictionary cards and tries to draw pictures which suggest the word printed on the card. The pictures cannot contain any numbers or letters. The teammates try to guess the word the drawing is intended to represent.

There are five types of squares on the board, and each Pictionary card has a list of five words printed on it. Players must draw the word which corresponds to the square on the board on which the team's marker is

Beta - Risk

Risk is a turn-based game for two to six players. The standard version is played on a board depicting a stylised Napoleonic-era political map of the Earth, divided into forty-two territories, which are grouped into six continents.
    Players control armies with which they attempt to capture territories from other players. The primary object of the game is "world domination," or "to occupy every territory on the board and in so doing, eliminate all other players." Using area movement, Risk ignores limitations such as the vast size of the world and the logistics of long campaigns.

Gamma - Monopoly

The game is named after the economic concept of monopoly, the domination of a market by a single entity.

Delta - The Game of Life

The game simulates a person's travels through his or her life, from high school graduation to retirement, with jobs, marriages and children (or not) along the way.
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Creepy-male

I KNEW you were going to put Monopoly for Gamma. That's like the biggest meme here ever: Gammas = money.

Anyway, Apples for Apples possibly for Alpha? It's all about combining adjectives and nouns like DELICIOUS HELLEN KELLER. Perhaps more Delta since there's no objective standard for a win, it's based purely on how amusing a judge finds your answer (might be Fe > Fi though?)

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always been really bad at all boardgames except Balderdash. I'm good at convincing people of things so it just sort of came naturally.

Go is a boardgame that has always been intriguing to me.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pictionary be damned, I'll join the betans.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Second'd.

I'm not sure if I can think of a game I'd take of Risk. It's an amazingly fun game, with the exception that I can't ever get anyone that wants to play. It also has a small luck factor, to make things more interesting. (but not quite as much of a luck factor as seen in Monopoly; Monopoly is like Blackjack in the sense that there's a rather simple basic strategy that most anyone playing to win isn't going to defy)

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ninja Burger is Alpha

INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

parcheesi.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    Boardgames that represent (stereotypical) values of the quadras

Alpha - Pictionary

The game is played with teams with players trying to identify specific words from their teammates' drawings.
    The team chooses one person to begin drawing; this position rotates with each word. The drawer chooses a card out of a deck of special Pictionary cards and tries to draw pictures which suggest the word printed on the card. The pictures cannot contain any numbers or letters. The teammates try to guess the word the drawing is intended to represent.

There are five types of squares on the board, and each Pictionary card has a list of five words printed on it. Players must draw the word which corresponds to the square on the board on which the team's marker is

Beta - Risk

Risk is a turn-based game for two to six players. The standard version is played on a board depicting a stylised Napoleonic-era political map of the Earth, divided into forty-two territories, which are grouped into six continents.
    Players control armies with which they attempt to capture territories from other players. The primary object of the game is "world domination," or "to occupy every territory on the board and in so doing, eliminate all other players." Using area movement, Risk ignores limitations such as the vast size of the world and the logistics of long campaigns.

Gamma - Monopoly

The game is named after the economic concept of monopoly, the domination of a market by a single entity.

Delta - The Game of Life

The game simulates a person's travels through his or her life, from high school graduation to retirement, with jobs, marriages and children (or not) along the way.
    Woo-hoo! I totally agree with beta, gamma, and delta. Life is one of my favorite games. Pictionary is like charades. Fun, but gets old fast. I'm seldom in the mood to play Risk, but the family Beta loves it. If the alphas don't want pictionary, I say we give 'em mousetrap and chess. Long as the chess pieces are rennaissance shaped so they can argue with each other on the battlefield.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Balderdash. Don't know why many people don't like it, but I seriously always win. That's probably why. I think I might be kind of bad at it now though.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol I used to love monopoly. Risk is pretty cool too.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewZ View Post
    Second'd.

I'm not sure if I can think of a game I'd take of Risk. It's an amazingly fun game, with the exception that I can't ever get anyone that wants to play. It also has a small luck factor, to make things more interesting. (but not quite as much of a luck factor as seen in Monopoly; Monopoly is like Blackjack in the sense that there's a rather simple basic strategy that most anyone playing to win isn't going to defy)
    Motion Passed. I would definitely rather play Risk than Pictionary any day. Pictionary, balderdash and others along the same...casual theme are fun for parties or whatever, but when I want to play boardgames, I'm playing BOARDGAMES. Something that is more game focused than socially focused. My personal favourites are these:

Agricola

Catan

Twilight Imperium
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Catan picture: lol, they're all squatting down like it's essential.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the outdoors, makes it more intense
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer playing imaginary RPG style games outdoors, all that room to have arena battles and explore. But I can get into dungeons and dragons things, never played any of those games though. Looks like a lot of fun.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, DnD is fabulous. I have a hard time really thinking of it as a boardgame though. Hypothetically you could make it never-ending, whereas a boardgame typically has a specific objective.

I've never LARPed before and I'm not sure I ever would. Just not my thing.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Creepy-female

Wha?! I happen to love a good 5 hour game of Monopoly...

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monopoly makes me too angry to play

I'm down for a good game of Settlers of Catan anyday though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes. I HATE Life. I like Scattergories, domino games, Monopoly, Clue, Scrabble, Pictionary... I like Settlers too. Life is so incredibly boring.
    IEE

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to like playing masterpiece because it always surprized me how much the paintings were worth.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Delta friends play a lot of Settlers of Catan. The LSE always wins. I think his Te gives him a leg up on the resource management part of the game.

I've only ever seen Settlers played by Alphas and Deltas, and I think it leans more Delta. I would get bored by the game's limitations if I played it too much.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    My Delta friends play a lot of Settlers of Catan. The LSE always wins. I think his Te gives him a leg up on the resource management part of the game.

I've only ever seen Settlers played by Alphas and Deltas, and I think it leans more Delta. I would get bored by the game's limitations if I played it too much.
    When my aunt and uncle come to visit, everybody always plays Catan. I wonder if it is an inherently Delta game?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    I KNEW you were going to put Monopoly for Gamma. That's like the biggest meme here ever: Gammas = money.
    Indeed :wink:

Anyway, Apples for Apples possibly for Alpha? It's all about combining adjectives and nouns like DELICIOUS HELLEN KELLER. Perhaps more Delta since there's no objective standard for a win, it's based purely on how amusing a judge finds your answer (might be Fe > Fi though?)
    Good one
    Never heard of it before so I looked it up and that could work for Alpha too. It sounds very in general and maybe some for matching things up
    EII INFj

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, I liek something liek these better (for Alpha):

I was going to say Chess for Alpha, but I don't know if the SF's would relate as much as the NT's...
    EII INFj

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the suggestions have been good so far

Adding some random type games

Jenga- SLI

Clue- LSE

Imaginiff- IEE

Wall Street Spin- LIE

Mad Gab- ESE

Charades- EIE

EII INFj

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love most games including monopoly, risk, catan, scattergories, pictionary, guesstures, etc... There are only a few I don't like mainly scene it (I am apparently horrible at remembering things related to movies and even worse at being the first to yell it out) and I don't really care for apples to apples which gets my alpha game vote.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if I can think of a game I'd take of Risk. It's an amazingly fun game
    What is this talk about fun? I'm in it for the bloodshed and trechery.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've come to see chess as being predominantly SeTi overall. It's an entirely self-contained and explicitly-structured "situation" -- as far as a context that must be accepted to proceed with action. Each piece has a specific place and capacity (Se observable magnitudes) and a direct relation to every other piece on the board. There is a constant maintenance of these things in the actual operation of the game. I'm not exactly sure where NiFe comes in, but I think it pertains to the psychological aspect. Within the structure, certain actions are possible (Ti parameters on Fe), and behind the respective positions of pieces lie intangible processes that guide their activity. This attitude is important when gauging your opponent, because you have to discern the latent pattern behind his moves (Fe intentionality) and how it relates to underlying themes in the development (Ni confluence).
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say chess is very beta. Though, I'd imagine gamma NTs are probably the best at chess.

Decisive logical.

The idea of it is beta ST, but playing it is gamma NT.
    Last edited by Azeroffs; 12-13-2009 at 08:53 PM.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughter and I (both IEE) love Apples to Apples. I do not at all like chess. Most boring game ever made. I don't like Monopoly either, but my husband does.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    My daughter and I (both IEE) love Apples to Apples.
    yesyesyesyesyes great game

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also a fan of Apples to Apples. I like to come up with clever ways to match the words together to get hilarious meanings. Like matching soy sauce with universal to make a joke about China taking over the world. However, most of the time my logic escapes people :/
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say Chess is clearly beta or associated with ST in any way, but it has always seemed Ni/Se ish to me in that outside-the-box thinking gets you nowhere in it. The imagination is only involved in predicting the outcome of a set of possible flows in a fixed context. To an Alpha NT, changing the context is what the fun is about, but chess doesn't offer any oppurtunities for doing so.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say Chess is clearly beta or associated with ST in any way, but it has always seemed Ni/Se ish to me in that outside-the-box thinking gets you nowhere in it. The imagination is only involved in predicting the outcome of a set of possible flows in a fixed context. To an Alpha NT, changing the context is what the fun is about, but chess doesn't offer any oppurtunities for doing so.
    I agree completely with this. I was once tried to explain this to a man running a strategy board games shop (really it was mostly a chess place). He couldn't understand why I didn't like the kind of strategy needed for chess. This is way better than the explanation I tried to come out with.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys just haven't played chess the Ne way then.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please tell me what the Ne way to play chess is, because I'm deeply skeptical. I'm sure it's possible for some alpha NTs to enjoy it, but I still think it's an extremely limiting game if you play with anyone who actually knows how to play.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I don't even know if there is an Ne way, but I figured you probably haven't played it.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My issue with chess is that it's all strategy. I like a little chance getting thrown at you in a game to respond to.

My favorite card game is euchre. It's a nice mix of strategy and chance.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DnD is by far the most Alpha, so/sx game imaginable.

On an unmodified roll of 20(d20), I cream myself at the end of every session.

also apples to apples is great, helen keller is instant win, etc
    The end is nigh

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    DnD is by far the most Alpha, so/sx game imaginable.

On an unmodified roll of 20(d20), I cream myself at the end of every session.

also apples to apples is great, helen keller is instant win, etc
    One of the guys I play with every Thursday rolls a d20 to determine if he's going to cream himself anytime I touch him or the other female player to heal them (3.5 Bard). DC15, unmodified, btw.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well this man is a champion.
    The end is nigh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast