TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are you afraid of masks?

Why or why not?

I was just talking to a girl who said she was afraid of masks because they obscured the facial indicators which could indicate what a person was planning to do. Her phobia was very odd: she said she believed people "act different" when they wear masks, and become unpredictable. I'm wondering if this could be related to type in some way.

I should have put this in Type-Related.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind masks as long as they're not too common or ugly. People can act differently, but playacting is fun.

ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    Her phobia was very odd: she said she believed people "act different" when they wear masks, and become unpredictable.

sure, if you can't see their expression, you can't see what those people are up to.

it's like when people wear sunglasses, you get a similar type of feeling.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    sure, if you can't see their expression, you can't see what those people are up to.

it's like when people wear sunglasses, you get a similar type of feeling.
    When people wear sunglasses, I tend to ignore them. No eyes, No there.

ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say I harbor a rational kind of fear towards masks and sunglasses in that sense, yes. It's not an emotion, just the rational acknowledgement that the person is less fettered and less knowable to me in that state.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why or why not?

I was just talking to a girl who said she was afraid of masks because they obscured the facial indicators which could indicate what a person was planning to do. Her phobia was very odd: she said she believed people "act different" when they wear masks, and become unpredictable. I'm wondering if this could be related to type in some way.

Yes, masks bother me. Like that girl indicated, they block off facial indicators that tell what they're thinking and feeling and communicating, particularly involuntarily. Facial expressions are a huge part of in-person conversation. I don't necessarily think people always act differently, though I can see how they would, feeling the freedom to be someone other than themselves for awhile. But it's the inability to read them that bothers me the most. It's like... a mask puts a divider between me and that person. I guess that sounds obvious, but... I'm not sure how to put it.
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()

"Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

"Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

Creepy-male

Why or why not?

Makes sense... this actual had practical applications beyond making the phantom in phantom of the opera look mysterious/scary.

The romans used to wear masks in combat for psychological warfare... it dehumanizes the person making them seem like some kind of god/statue rather than a man.....

Imagine a person charging you on horseback wearing one of these...

TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't find their occlusion of facial indicators worrisome. The mask itself says enough about the person; this in combination with their natural bodily contours and movements, can sometimes reveal more than their facial ticks would. They feel more liberated from themselves, and end up showcasing their entire shadow through a veil.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    I don't find their occlusion of facial indicators worrisome. The mask itself says enough about the person; this in combination with their natural bodily contours and movements, can sometimes reveal more than their facial ticks would. They feel more liberated from themselves, and end up showcasing their entire shadow through a veil.
    This.

It rings true for any form of concealment.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    Makes sense... this actual had practical applications beyond making the phantom in phantom of the opera look mysterious/scary.

The romans used to wear masks in combat for psychological warfare... it dehumanizes the person making them seem like some kind of god/statue rather than a man.....

Imagine a person charging you on horseback wearing one of these...

This is really scary! I'm going to have nightmares.

Usually I think masks are kinda fun. But not like that one! *shudder*

I don't need a lot of emotional feedback though I guess, with my dual being my dual and all.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm only afraid of the masks I can't help but wear. There's something safe in anonymity, or putting up barriers between you and others. Safe and heartbreaking.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always liked masks, especially when the person always wears it and it becomes part of their character. Like the skull kid from Zelda, or the emperor from Kingdom of Heaven.