View Poll Results: Do you pay attention to parts of a person's appearance that can change regularly?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I'm a male intuitive.

8 19.51%
  • No. I'm a male intuitive.

11 26.83%
  • Yes. I'm a female intuitive.

6 14.63%
  • No. I'm a female intuitive.

3 7.32%
  • Yes. I'm a male sensor.

3 7.32%
  • No. I'm a male sensor.

2 4.88%
  • Yes. I'm a female sensor.

8 19.51%
  • No. I'm a female sensor.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you notice Hair, clothes, ect?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Do you notice Hair, clothes, ect?

And do you care?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I do but sometimes I don't!

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, and yes.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice nothing.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

One of you didn't vote.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a tendency to identify people by their shirt or hair color, but at the same time, I'm liable to not notice if someone changes their hair color. I guess yes, overall. Do I care? It's sort of like their name - I care that I can know what it is, but I don't care what it is.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    I have a tendency to identify people by their shirt or hair color, but at the same time, I'm liable to not notice if someone changes their hair color. I guess yes, overall. Do I care? It's sort of like their name - I care that I can know what it is, but I don't care what it is.
    That's a "no."

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    That's a "no."
    Oh... I voted "yes" on the poll.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not and I generally don't care.

I can appreciate a style, and I do find myself attracted to certain lookss and styles as a whole, but I don't naturally pick up on fashion details.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't notice what everyone's wearing in a room. But if I have a conversation with them I'll notice. Or if I'm friends with them or like their hair or if their hair style has changed, I'll notice. So yeah, I do notice. And hair is probably the first thing I notice on a woman. Hair and degree of confidence, smile, etc.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    I do not and I generally don't care.

I can appreciate a style, and I do find myself attracted to certain lookss and styles as a whole, but I don't naturally pick up on fashion details.
    Same.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually do notice this sorta thing. More with people I'm close to. When I'm not as close, I focus more on keeping up the conversation and might not even be aware that they're wearing something strange until I see a photo on facebook later of the person. But people I'm close to, I notice any kind of haircut, make-up, new clothing, etc.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I don't. Would you notice if I wore red, orange, and purple hair with some growth on my face?

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

i notice sometimes .. if it sticks out ..

like today this girl came up to me wanting a light, and she had light blue nail varnish on .. which isn't that common.

i don't mention when i notice these things often though. i didn't even talk with the girl that asked me for a lighter, i just let her use it .. and then she left again.

oh i suppose that was someone random ...

for me it's like .. i notice specific instances of peopel .. and then ic an notice when that instance is the same or different from a previous instance of them.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

also, i'm going to have to mention that i HATE it when girls i don't know very well want to comment on if i've had a haircut .. or if i'm wearing different clothes or some other bullshit like that.

what is wiht that ..

but at the same time i'll mention.. i suppose only after having talked with someone a bit.. having a degree of rapport in the moment etc ..

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No and no. I only notice someone's gotten a haircut or something like that after someone else has mentioned it. And then I only mention it if I think it would be polite/nice to do so.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does this picture make sense?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice none of those things.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will tnd to comment on haircuts and clothes. I don't think it's something that comes too naturally to me, but I will comment on these things.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People have hair?! WTF! Since when?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes if it's an attractive girl. No in every other case. However, I have a kind of involuntarily photographic memory, so I often remember the clothes of everybody in a given room, just because I...looked at them.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't notice anything.

Often a girlfriend or anyone comes up to me and sais, didn't you notice my new hair cut...?

Also, my window is extremely dirty, but I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out to me. It seems I just look through the window and don't notice how dirty it is. While other people notice it the very first time.

I'm totally unaware of most details around me. Though I do notice what is going on around me.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have voted for a "sometimes" option.

Sometimes I notice, sometimes I don't. And... notice is perhaps not the right word. I'll... see things, I guess, but it doesn't always register in all the ways it could. I'll notice random things, that catch my attention somehow, and kind of dwell on them, passing other things by.

For example, I'll notice someone is wearing a gaged earring and think a bit about what it'd look like without it in there (and proceed to get slightly grossed out), but I'll overlook other fashion statements that other people might use to categorize the overall style. I'd also probably overlook other details. I can't really tell you what other details (or conclusions) I'd miss because, well, I don't see them.

I'm terrible at categorizing styles and picking out the details of what makes them.

In general, so long as whatever they're wearing (clothing, scent, whatever) doesn't intrude into my personal space too much I don't really care. I don't like masks, though, or other things that obscure my ability to read people. Clowns make me nervous, and don't even get me started on mascots...
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Creepy-

Sometimes I notice; sometimes I don't. Obviously I'm more likely to notice something like a new haircut if it's someone I see a lot, but even then I might miss it.

It is always interesting to me the difference in the way people treat other people based on appearances. Like I know that because I am not much older than most of my students [and am considerably younger than a couple of them], it is extra important that I look the part. So it was amusing to me when, yesterday, I wore jeans to class [it was the last day before the final, so I skipped the usual dress-and-heels getup] and students reacted to me quite differently from on other days [my own students as well as the ones sitting in the hallway, who didn't bother to move their outstretched legs as I walked by, whereas the usually do]. It's a mini-experiment that amuses me all over again at the end of each semester when I "dress down" for class. Clothes and hair... who would have thought they would make such a difference....

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It really depends on context. There was no sometimes option, so I voted no because in general there's more that I don't notice than what I do notice.

I notice the overall impression a person makes with their style but less with minor details. I'll know if the person's overall style tends towards casual or dressy, for example, but not pay much attention to the details of the individual pieces that make up that style. I don't pay a whole lot of attention unless someone's style is unusual in some way, really disheveled, or they made some major change. I don't care how people dress, what they do is their own business but it does bother me when someone's appearance is unhygenic or inappropriately revealing.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by energystar; 03-01-2010 at 07:54 PM.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoapOfSapphire View Post
    Sometimes I notice; sometimes I don't. Obviously I'm more likely to notice something like a new haircut if it's someone I see a lot, but even then I might miss it.

It is always interesting to me the difference in the way people treat other people based on appearances. Like I know that because I am not much older than most of my students [and am considerably younger than a couple of them], it is extra important that I look the part. So it was amusing to me when, yesterday, I wore jeans to class [it was the last day before the final, so I skipped the usual dress-and-heels getup] and students reacted to me quite differently from on other days [my own students as well as the ones sitting in the hallway, who didn't bother to move their outstretched legs as I walked by, whereas the usually do]. It's a mini-experiment that amuses me all over again at the end of each semester when I "dress down" for class. Clothes and hair... who would have thought they would make such a difference....
    Mmm.. that's weird to me. When I was young I used to often dress in (torn) jeans and a tshirt. My hair would always be in a mess. And I would be drunk, stoned, off my face and hardly know what the hell I was doing.

But I would make up for it with some kind of half-hearted gusto that'd only kick in at times, and other times I'd just kind of drift along.

That said - people would often step out of my way - make way for me - be polite - be nice - over do themselves, and all seem real fake and pretentious.

I'd meet people, and I'd be like "Who the fuck are you". The thing is that was just me being me. That's where I was at.

And I'd see girls all dressing up trying to look good for girls and shit - but I'd just kind of walk up and say something charming like "What are you doing here", "where are your friends", "you don't look like you want to be here" or something...

Anyway, what I found is that people that "dressed up" often were way too "formal" and "heavy" in their interactions. It's like they were too busy dressing up to connect. And although I often dressed down. When I dressed up I found I'd only talk to people I'd talked to before.

Sure I'd get more compliments if I dressed better - but who gives a shit about compliments. I mean which one is better to hear - "You're funny" or "You have a nice shirt".

It don't mean shit. Y'know. It's just a game.

Anyway, if you don't have real backing and you have to hide behind your clothes you won't hold up. The thing about dressing up in a way is that it can make you seem less approachable. And if you need to create that distance through the way you dress it means you just have no control of your social interactions and need to hide behind a mask. If you just have your own standards and apply them as you see fit you can control the distance that other people are with you to a degree. And so you can just work with that, and the whole way you dress thing doesn't need to matter.

But if it's all through the mask, when you change the mask then people aren't going to know what to make of you.

That said. Kids generally make way for me. It's business men that can be arrogant cunts. And I hate people who are too stiff and arrogant and aloof behind layers of pretension and bullshit.

And if you set a different standard, let people adapt to you. Why the fuck should you adapt to them.

Anyway, wear those jeans and shine for you. Good luck.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    Anyway, if you don't have real backing and you have to hide behind your clothes you won't hold up. The thing about dressing up in a way is that it can make you seem less approachable. And if you need to create that distance through the way you dress it means you just have no control of your social interactions and need to hide behind a mask. If you just have your own standards and apply them as you see fit you can control the distance that other people are with you to a degree. And so you can just work with that, and the whole way you dress thing doesn't need to matter.

And if you set a different standard, let people adapt to you. Why the fuck should you adapt to them.
    Good stuff.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I notice these things and I care, but it's not really all that important to me, only cause, I've found most of the stereotypes are true, people with nice, preppy clothes are also total stuck-up assholes that I wouldn't want to associate with. I either like a totally unique celebrity style that looks great but also one of a kind, or just run-down walmart wear.

I am sensitive to aesthetic appeal. Sometimes it's like 'man this would be perfect if the outside matched the inside' so I do think it's important although I can also sense vapid narcissists who look good on the outside but have nothing underneath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default i notice and memorize

i notice and memorize (involuntarily)

i like to secretly observe people, how they talk, what they are wearing.

as a result:
    i recognize random people i've seen in public transport
    i also recognize people whom i've never personally met before but have seen in facebook etc..
    i notice new haircuts and clothes.
    EST

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rastermind View Post
    Same.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rastermind View Post

i like to secretly observe people, how they talk, what they are wearing.
    I have an SEI-Si friend who's like this too.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I have an SEI-Si friend who's like this too.
    that's creepy

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's creepy
    why?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    why?
    when people secretly pay way too much attention to others it's kind of disconcerting at the least.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when people secretly pay way too much attention to others it's kind of disconcerting at the least.
    lol! It doesn't bother me I guess. maybe just cause this guy is my friend.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But if it's done secretly how would they even know about it? It's just called observing. Nothing wrong with observation.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I'm pretty sure I'm female, but I can't really answer the intuitive vs. sensor question atm.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I make note of what they're wearing or whatever in passing. It gives me an idea of who they are, in a way. It's not something I put much stock in though. Except eyebrows. Girls who over-pluck are invariably troublesome.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast