Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: IEEs what do you do for a living? Occupations and jobs for ENFps.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a newspaper reporter, but it paid horribly and I couldn't afford little things like rent and food, so I became an admin assistant, and got paid decently and it was OK work. Newspaper reporting was more fun but I can't comfortably live that poor of a life. I haven't worked for about 12 years and instead take care of kids and have fun and do volunteer work. I LOVE not having a boss. I'd have a very difficult time having a boss again. The hardest thing about the admin asst job was that I was working for a small branch of a larger corporation, and I could not stand the inane and irrelevant rules the corporation expected us to follow. I just didn't follow any of them, ever. When 9/11 happened, everyone in the building hung out in my little office because I was the only person who dared to have a radio. (We didn't have a lot of internet usage - mainly just email. These were truly the Dark Ages.)
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Clearly View Post
    I'll agree that Suedehead and anndelise are not IEE, but I don't think any of those other forumites are IEE, either; as far as I can tell, I'm the only Ti-PoLR around these parts
    Who are you?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Um...what was I going to write about. My IEE friends work in the Veterinary Sciences, as Techs or as Assistants and Receptionists. They love animals and love working with them.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    Who are you?
    an IEE

TIM
    ILI 5w4 sx/??
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a living, IEEs pretend to be productive and create twice as much work for everyone else as a result.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    When 9/11 happened, everyone in the building hung out in my little office because I was the only person who dared to have a radio. (We didn't have a lot of internet usage - mainly just email. These were truly the Dark Ages.)

Welcome back, slacker mom.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am not yet working but making plans. Leadership x art is the aim, that's why I chose to study Communication/Cultural Management.

TIM
    IXXp 639 sp/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not IEE, but know a few:

The mom: Industrial engineer, likes the active and challenging environment, and pursues positions of leadership so as to have more freedom and flexibility. Her idealism has gotten her in trouble with shadier coworkers a few times. Will stick her nose in people's bussiness (good willed help) 'cause of their own good or the greater good; just let it happen or suffer the consequences.

College friend: Environmental Technologist, very invested in having a say and an impact in national environmental issues, company practices, technology advancements, and legislation. She's quite passionate about it, which is cool.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am an IEE and I teach English part-time at a university and paint when I can. I am also a mostly-stay-at-home mom, at the moment.

I just had a nice talk w an IEE student who is a computer engineering major but hates it (his dad forced him into it) and is considering joining the military so he'll have time to grow up while having interesting and worthwhile experiences and having a chance to help other people (his words).

Other IEEs I know are writers, teachers, and one nurse.
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What do ENFps think about service?

~
    Last edited by Pastel; 12-14-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

my IEE friend is a bill collector lol. its temporary until she finds something better, so its not exactly her dream job, but she handles it way better than I ever would. when we get together she tells me about frustrating calls that she's had for the humor of it and laughs, so she seems to be able to not let it get under her skin too much. I have a feeling though that if she were to continue for several years it would become less entertaining...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do they generally enjoy interacting with strangers and people, and answering queries etc?
    Yes definitely, these are they strengths I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Pastel View Post
    Hello!

Was just wondering about one other thing...

What do IEEs think about working in the service sector? (Such as working as a receptionist, etc)
    I think it depends which job it is. They usually aren't too keen on jobs that are really detail-oriented (like a receptionist), or that are too boring and repetitive.

And is there a chance they may view working in the service industry as having to put on fake smiles, to entertain people, and therefore isn't their thing?
    They would probably be at least moderately ok with it (or at least realize why it's necessary) due to Fe demonstrative. But again they are extroverts with low Si so they prefer to have some kind of potential for growth or expansion rather than doing something mundane (which the service industry usually is).

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good question!

I've worked a variety of receptionist jobs, from real estate office admin work to dental office receptionist. To be frank, I didn't enjoy it at all. We love to be around people, yes, but I think we desire a connection or quality vs quantity. The entire time that I spent as front staff in the dental office, I was wishing I could be working in the back, either cleaning teeth or assisting, as that would have given me 30 minutes of quality time with each patient, rather than simply greeting someone and then moving on to paperwork. (Eugh!)

I think IEEs thrive in environments where they can be creative, invent their own methods of getting a job done well, the job can be reinvented or made fresh due to either changing contracts or subjects, they're not locked into constant paperwork, and they can interact regularly with people to establish a rapport. I think it also helps if their job adds some sort of value in the service of others. In my previous case, cleaning someone's teeth while making them feel comfortable and safe adds more value to me personally than booking an appointment. I feel like anyone can book an appointment, and it's a waste of my talents. But I know without a doubt that I could calm a nervous patient while they were in the dental chair.

So I think it depends on what kind of service. While we're good at entertaining strangers, there has to be some element of adding a real purpose or value to the people we serve, and utilizing what makes IEEs unique.

This is why teaching is such a wonderful fit for me, personally. It can constantly be made fresh, it's creative, I can invent my own ways and methods to get lessons across, and it provides me the ability to establish rapport and give something of lifelong value to my students (a love and ability to play music!)
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had two careers-

1) Government Contractor, which was phenomenal. Your job always changes every few months, and you're constantly working with teams to solve problems. Travel was a big bonus. I've done social media and video editing contracts, protocol and logistics contracts, and software development life cycle projects, to include QA and customer service.

2) Music Teacher, both privately on the side, and now at a private school. Teaching in school is definitely more work and it's been an adjustment, but working from home by myself was the pits. Plus, I have fallen in love with all of my new teacher friends. With that said, I love the autonomy of teaching at a private school. I'm given full reign over our curriculum, and I don't have the burdens of public school drama and bureaucracy looming over me. It's been a phenomenal fit!

Ive done quite a bit of volunteer youth ministry work on the side, as well. I'm not sure what the future holds. It would be hard to imagine a life where I only had one or two careers. I don't think that means can't be successful. We just get a bit restless, and tend to be better with inventing and beginnings than long haul commitments.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEEs are a lot like ESE-Fe in the work-field in that they want to feel like they are making a personal connection and impact and that is the priority. Mundane stuff, spreadsheets, budgets etc. will bore them to tears and they will find a way out. Anything banal will be avoided. The IEEs I know just pretend they don't know how to use purchase cards or budget paperwork because they hate it.

Many IEEs desire to be self-actualized and reach their full potential in helping fields (education, social work, government, libraries etc).
    They are not so interested in hierarchy, details, politics, or admin type work. I think they need to see a direct connection between their work and the improvement of lives around them. They can put on a fake smile if they feel like what they are doing is important to their personal mission or goal.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345