Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How

Which of these is most important? Please post your type and which two of these six (who, what, when, where, why, how) you think is most important, or plays the greatest role in your cognitive processes, or you find the most useful, or you find the best, etc. You can rank them or not rank them. It might be nice to not think too much about it and provide a fairly unfiltered reaction, but don't feel obligated to do that either.

My suspicion is that this is generally type related, if one is willing to work at a certain level of abstraction/thematicism (obviously, which of these is most important is highly situational, but I'm asking the question in the most general sense possible). I'll post my own preferences and my predictions of correlations between functions and these questions later.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put what and why. Still don't know my type, but I don't really care.
    ﴾ لَهُمْ دَارُ السَّلاَمِ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَهُوَ وَلِيُّهُمْ بِمَا كَانُواْ يَعْمَلُونَ ﴿
    "When you see an evil act you have to stop it with your hand.
    If you can't, then at least speak out against it with your tongue.
    If you can't, then at least you have to hate it with all your heart.
    And this is the weakest of faith."

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who, what, when, where, why, how hm.....

Seems very situational but Ill entertain myself anyway. If I would have to choose then I like "why" the most as it shows intent and reason.

Who seems like the second best as it makes a great difference for me personally who is the person I interact with. For some people I can forgive way more than to others. From certain people certain actions are acceptable while from others it is not etc.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted Who and Where. What competed with Where though and Why got a retrospective look in. When was barely considered and neither was How.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've actually been thinking about this very topic. I put "what" and "why".

My theory is that "how" is a dynamic question. "How's it going?" could be an inquiry into one's state of Fe ("How's it going emotionally?"), Si ("How's it going physically?"), Te ("How's it going with what you're working on?"), or theoretically Ni ("How's life and the universe going?"). As a static type, I have always found that question very difficult to answer.

"What", on the other hand, seems static to me. "What is that?" could be an inquiry into Se ("What is that, physically speaking?"), Ne ("What is that, in an abstract sense?"), Ti ("What is that, logically speaking?"), or even Fi ("What is that relationship like?").

It's probably not an absolute correlation, but I think there's a general sort of correlation.
    Quaero Veritas.

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When and Where. ESFp.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wow. Fun game. Why and how.
    XXXx.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why and How.

You can write down everything else.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Damn, you had to post under me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why.

IEI, i think.

Creepy-Diana

cunnilingus epilepsy inducer
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How and Why. LSE.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Alpha NT 5w4 so/sx
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What and Why.

When and where seem insignificant, How seems tedious, who can be interesting, but seems only situationally important.
    OPERATION POOPLAIR

Now conscripting, for more information come here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...48#post1003048

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why/What > How > Who/Where/When
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why/How > What > Who/Where/When. LII.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who > What > Why > When > Where > How

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.) Why - my favourite question as an LII, of course

2.) Who - I don't often ask "who?" but I'm interested in people

3.) How - it depends. I'm interested in "how" if it means "how does Socionics work?". I'm not interested in "how" if it means "how can we do this, how can we do that?"

4.) What - also depends. Facts are necessary but often boring.

5.) Where - ok, you have to know where to meet but it's mundane

6.) When - I'm not interested at all. Don't even have a watch. Ask some LSIs or ESIs
    Ni-INTj --- Harmonizing Analyst --- -
    DCNH rox

Nothing in the cage of my ribcage
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually care are about Who and Why, and also How. I'm usually thinking of something like, "Who was that?/Who was involved in this?" or "Why did you do that?/Why did this happen?" or "How did you do that?/How did that happen?". Who is probably the most important.

But I don't really think that these things are type related...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Stromberg
    Let's stop using this outdated measure - which has about as much scientific validity as your astrological sign.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    But I don't really think that these things are type related...
    For sure they are:

Why

Who

How

What

Where

When

enjoy the silence
    Ni-INTj --- Harmonizing Analyst --- -
    DCNH rox

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm... I don't think they're really type related either, as far as which an individual prefers/cares more about. However, I think in a generalized sense, they may be decent representers of type.

Anyway, my thoughts:

Thinking types, in general, I think are more interested in how and why. I associate "how" more with Te, and "why" more with "Ti".

Feeling types would probably be more interested in "who" than other types, especially Fi egos: ethos (as in logos, pathos, ethos), who is this information coming from, is he/she a good or bad person, etc.

I do think sensory types would be more interested in "where" and "when," because they are more concrete things. I especially associate them with Se, because you can take action when you know where and when something is; you don't really need to know what it is or anything like that. Sometimes you need those things to take the best possible action, but to take action at all: where and when.

"What" is too broad to be associated with socionics at all (even moreso than the other ones), but I personally associate it with Ni, insofar as Ni is concerned with the essence of the thing.

It seems that "why" is also too broad, as everyone is interested in why.

Anyway, those are my general thoughts. I picked who and what. Samuel Beckett picks what and where.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What, How

I think of "why" as intent, and "how" as the mechanical cause... which I am more interested in.

I can see, though, how "why" and "how" can get mixed up. I claim some of those "why" votes for "how."

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Who, and when.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I often find myself asking how many? I like quantifying things.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The following are only a few examples of the types of questions I am most interested in having answered.

What was said, what was done, what actions were taking place, what actions took place before, what actions are likely to occur as a result, what was going on at the time, what else could it have been, what else could it be, what else was involved, what could it be, what else could it be, what were you thinking at the time, what were you feeling at the time, what influenced that thought, what influenced that action, what influenced that feeling, what influenced that belief, what worked, what didn't work, what did you change, what are you going to do now, what was he thinking, what was she feeling, what did she do, what did she say, and most importantly, WHAT did you say???

Who all were involved, who influenced this action, who said what and when?

How did she say that, how did he do this, how else could he have done it, how have her beliefs, feelings, actions been influenced in the past, how have they been influenced by the current situation, how do her personal experiences influence her current actions, beliefs, feelings, and how do those in turn influence her experiences, how did he respond, how did that make you feel, how will you do this, how do *I* do this, how WOULD I do this, how COULD he do that, how can this be better, how can this be more efficient, how can i get myself to get that done, how can I learn to do that, how can I make help her?

Why did she say that, why did she respond that way, why did he do that, why do I keep doing that, why can't i ever do this, why do people do that, why do it this way and not that way?

The only time that I'm really interested in when and where is when I'm meeting with someone, or when it applies to a situation or conversation someone is telling me about and when/where might provide me more clues about what all was going on in the situation/conversation.

Most of the What/How questions are referring to the same kinds of things. And in quite a few ways, the why's do too. I like to seek out what kinds of things could have been involved, or could have influenced the situation(s). Alot of times people take things at face value or fail to dig a little deeper or even flat out ignore anything beyond what they themselves think/feel. Often I'm given a story that is missing important details that would explain why the actions happened, and why the other person responded the way they did...instead receiving a single viewpoint that perceives itself as completely innocent and blameless in a situation. When listening about an argument two people had, it helps me to understand the situation better if I'm aware of the events, the sequence of events, and the influences that led to those events and responses, usually including the people's values and interests and goals and how those may be conflicting with each other. Each situation while maybe seeming similar at face value usually is quite different underneath it all, different influences in action, etc. That's probably why I can just keep asking these kinds of things without getting bored...and probably why I'm considered so nosey, lol.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp