Thread: Has to feel right

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Has to feel right

What type is it that what they do has to feel right? They can't just continually do something if they're not in the mood for it. It doesn't matter if it makes logical sense, or ethical sense, this person has to feel in the mood or else they will have trouble. They could keep going, but they don't because it feels wrong, and they strongly value feeling right about what they're doing. It's not necessarily a matter of ethics, but the personal feeling behind it. This type of person is usually very skilled at something and can accomplish the unthinkable (even more so than others) when their mood is just right. I sort of see the caricature of a melancholic and an idealist, but you think this is type related? (at least in specific cases or stages)

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think it correlates with irrational types.

Rationality and irrationality - Wikisocion

Irrationals
    (Sometimes called 'cyclothymes' in early socionics literature)
    1. Focus on their own moods and states of mind and what they feel like saying or doing
    2. Try to change their activity to fit their state of mind
    3. Tend to neglect and forget traditions (repeating activities involving other people) and instead act on their impulses
    4. Try to make life spontaneous by breaking traditions and habits for the sake of spontaneity
    5. Dislike long-term obligations but freely take on short-term obligations if they feel like it
    6. Intellectually, usually believe that things are naturally the way they are, and that mankind should recognize and accept that
    7. More artful at "going with the flow" and change their strategy more quickly
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ha - I read those, about the rationals changing their mood to fit the task and thought, "Really?? People can do that? I need to try that.." It's the source of endless frustration for me - being a slave to my whims when I have paperwork to finish, questions to answer, phone calls to make and I JUST DON'T FEEL LIKE IT. But if it doesn't get done, I'm in big trouble. haha
    IEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    ha - I read those, about the rationals changing their mood to fit the task and thought, "Really?? People can do that? I need to try that.." It's the source of endless frustration for me - being a slave to my whims when I have paperwork to finish, questions to answer, phone calls to make and I JUST DON'T FEEL LIKE IT. But if it doesn't get done, I'm in big trouble. haha

yeah really. what i end up doing is procrastinating until there is a tsunami...lol...that's enough to get my insides in the mood.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just wondering if anybody agrees with that. I strongly depend on my state of mind and mood, yet I'm definitely Fe PoLR. Say for example that I have to write music, I can't do it if I'm not in the mood, but when I am it flows through me so naturally and it comes out excellently. It's even the same way with video games, I'm usually not in the mood to play. However I do know that a lot of this stuff listed isn't all conclusive about types, but I'm sure it fits to some extent. Looking at these, every dichotomy fits me well.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a lot of trouble starting something if I'm not in the mood. Once I've started I have no problem.

ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm like this....example, i've been putting off exercising for the past 4 hours.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know a few :si: dominants who've said stuff like in the OP quite a bit.
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just take a ton of psychiatric medications. you'll feel like all your problems are solved.
    INTp

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akra View Post
    Sounds about right. When it's SO overwhelming that you can't help but want to do it. It's why my apartment can get SO bad then in the span of a week I will clean it fully because I'm too disgusted. Trying to be more disciplined about it, though.

yeah...it's kinda like you have to trick yourself into doing things you don't feel like. i'll invite people over so i'll clean the house, for example. lol. or let things totally build up to a chaotic state, have a free weekend, and get it all done.

this issue is worse for irrationals than rationals i think.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by energystar; 03-01-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think everybody is like this. However, it's also bullshit. Most of the time, you do to feel better. It's rarely the other way around, you feel better, so you can do. Cause what happens is, you will feel GREAT but still, nothing ever gets done, cause when it comes down to it, an action is an action, and doesn't really have anything to do with your feelings. ENNEAGRAM 4S I LOVE YOU BUT PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS!

So the real issue is you haven't really decided on what you want to 'go after yet' or do. But often times you gotta try it and see. You can't always believe what your mind is telling you about something. Even your 'gut' can be wrong. A lot of good advice is actually extremely counter-intuitive.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everybody is like this.
    Sanctioned.

I'm supposedly Rational, but I identify with this to a very large extent. It's easy to figure out what's going on from there.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well is it true that Fe types will try to cheer things up when they feel sad or low-spirited, where as Fi strategy is to really think about ones feelings and get to the source of the problem. Obviously both people do that, but Fe strategy is not something I ever do, and EXTp don't really think deeply about their feelings to get to the source of the problem.
    Last edited by 717495; 11-29-2009 at 03:46 PM.