Thread: Being Principled

Creepy-male

Default Being Principled

In the sense of Moral Principles

Acting based on your principles rather than on wants/desires
    Taking time to think about moral issues to develop principles

Like the Enneagram Type 1

How does this have to do with Socionics and Types
    How does this have to do with you, are you principled, do you know someone that is?
    Do you find this behavior good, bad, or a matter of personal preference?

Discuss

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mmmm...I kind of have some principles because I know there are some things that if I were to do them, they'd make me feel bad. So I avoid doing them.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    In the sense of Moral Principles

Taking time to think about moral issues to develop principles

Like the Enneagram Type 1

How does this have to do with Socionics and Types
    How does this have to do with you, are you principled, do you know someone that is?

Discuss
    Everybody has principles. But not everybody shares the same ones.
    In my eyes, the principles of another person -which he considers right- could be wrong and viceversa.
    A ruthless SLE has principles too: to get his goals no matter what the cost, kick the ass of everybody on his way, etc. Other SLEs and most types DO believe this is wrong.

Speaking on "how many principles you hold": some people have hundreds of rules and other have a small set of rules and adapt to the situations they have to face, for instance.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    A ruthless SLE has principles too: to get his goals no matter what the cost, kick the ass of everybody on his way, etc. Other SLEs and most types DO believe this is wrong.
    but not IEIs.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    but not IEIs.
    You know, those whom they support should become good guys, as the governor of California after Terminator "1".
    Last edited by 1981slater; 11-11-2009 at 06:15 PM.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'd suppose a princpled Socionics type would have to act adhering to their Rational function, because that's how they make decisions.

But I don't think that these sort of things are related to Socioniocs:

Kohlberg

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My moral and normative views are to transient and changable ever to materialize into principles. Every time I would voice a principle, I would already anticipate the argument that would destroy it. So I focus on being harmonious with my surrounding world instead.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Mainly. Some wants/desires are in accordance with my principles, some are not. I am trying to get rid of those that are not. Assuming that they are desires presumes also that attempts at getting rid of them without indulging oneself in them are not always without friction, cursing, jealousy etc. I generally don't act on them(bad ones) but to say that they don't exist wouldn't be the true.

Discuss
    In terms of good and bad, this behavior is just as good as are his underlying moral principles.
    Last edited by Trevor; 02-08-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Creepy-male

Everybody has principles. But not everybody shares the same ones.
    In my eyes, the principles of another person -which he considers right- could be wrong and viceversa..
    Well sure, but its hard to make evaluations with all that subjectivity..... one thing I was thinking the other day was is that I respect people who act on principles over those that act on their immediate desires, even if those principles are different from the ones I share, because its kind of an honorable thing that shows you are concerned with things greater than your immediate desires.

I don't think everyone is like this though, I think some people find this idea of principles limiting and would rather be free from the discipline of having principles. They don't nessicarily have to be bad people though, because I could see room for the idea of a person who is free spirited and innocent and a bit of an idealist as be against being overly principled, but at the same they wouldn't be a horrible person. Of course that doesn't sound like me at all, I am more focused on principles... possible the IxxJ tempermant or something. I find free-spiritedness and innocence and alutrism combined in a person to be a beautiful thing, but for me I am more rigid/structured/principled no matter how hard I want to be "innocent" -- I am just too aware of my darker desires to just be free-spirited I guess, I dunno haven't really delved that deep into this question. -- all I know is I find some sort of value in seeing others act on principles rather than immediate desires.

A ruthless SLE has principles too: to get his goals no matter what the cost, kick the ass of everybody on his way, etc. Other SLEs and most types DO believe this is wrong..
    Sure but thats not really "principles" I guess, because principles in the sense of moral principles are little ideals you submit yourself to in order to pursue alturism over immediate primal desires.

For example the typical chrisitian will have principles like say "Thou shall not kill" -- which they enact by being a person of peace rather than giving in to primal, vengeful, prediatory, violent desires of anger.

At the same coin consider samuari boshido (sp?) or chivalry, both of these are principles of warrior subcultures from different societies. Their principles may be something like "Never retreat from battle, death over dishonor".... or something.

The thing is both of these principles and values would conflict though because boshido (sp?) would seem to be very focused on fighting and battle while the christian virtues would be focused on non-violence.... but both sides believe that their is something noble and alutristic about their "code" their "principles", even though its not shared by everyone. This is kind of what I was referring to above.... that I can respect a person who has some sort of ideals/principles over someone who is just about their immediate desires all the time.

Saying a ruthless SLE has "principles" to achieve his goal, seems more like it would be about "personal desires" rather than "ideals/principles".

Speaking on "how many principles you hold": some people have hundreds of rules and other have a small set of rules and adapt to the situations they have to face, for instance.
    Yep true, but principles I take different than "rules" because principles are more general and little bit more intuitive, while "rules" can be derived from first principles.
    Last edited by male; 11-12-2009 at 08:16 AM.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    My moral and normative views are to transient and changable ever to materialize into principles. Every time I would voice a principle, I would already anticipate the argument that would destroy it. So I focus on being harmonious with my surrounding world instead.
    Lol to me there seems to be a subtle intuitive expression of some principle in this