Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamma Quadra: not really into playing or following sports?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gamma Quadra: not really into playing or following sports?

Of all the people I've come across whom I've typed Gamma, I've noticed they're not really in to sports, or have said they don't like, or follow, any sports. I can't say I've ever liked sports all that much, and I've never been in to any sport. Of the Alphas I know on the other hand, plenty of them seem really into sports, and I don't really see what they see in them. Sports seem kind of counterproductive, a waste of time and energy, or too dull and repetitive of a stimulus (would be things I would say about them.) Do a lot of Gammas not like sports? (football, baseball, soccer, etc.)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see it.
    Last edited by Trevor; 02-10-2010 at 12:58 AM.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah you might be right. It doesn't seem all that type related except for the fact that most of the Gammas I know aren't in to them. Could just be a coincidence. I see certain video games as rather entertaining, but you could say that about sports too. It seems like it should be that anyone can like a certain type or sport depending on their more physical personality, likes and dislikes.

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEEs are the only ones out of gamma people I know who do sports and like it. But yet again none of them are obsesed with any football/basketball/etc players nor watch sport channels or anything else what I find alpha men doing...and it's one of the reasons why alphas are irritating sometimes...

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I do ask, what's really in a sport for me, besides the money? I just sit there and watch it, and its not even that entertaining. Video games on the other hand, (like when you play a live sport), can be handled and mastered. What's good about watching sports? Do you get kicks out of picturing yourself as the person running up and down the field, and get in to character, or is it just some fad and obsession?

It seems like introverts would be less into them because it technically does not have to do with them (in a temporary sense).

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

lol @ sports.

I like the competitive fire of sports kinda, but I'm too bad at them. My brain is too writer-like and nerdy and imaginative to enjoy them.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never watch sports. It's boring.

I do some running and fitness to keep in shape.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching sports is about the most boring thing I can think of.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like playing some sports, but watching them is a complete waste of time. TV in general is a waste of time with exception of a few shows. If not for Tivo I'd never watch tv.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like too much watching sports (except some spectacular ones, like NHL; and some really important events, like the olympics finals and world cup), but I really love playing them (soccer, cycling, basketball). A suggestion: if you really don't like playing and watching sports, chances are that many of your friends won't be into sport, either. Most of the gammas I know are into sports, but it's just because I am, and sportiv-ness is a strongly clustering trait.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post
    But, if you take the perspective of the manager or coach, you can appreciate the sport for its strategic qualities. Why would the Yankees put A.J. Burnett as the starting pitcher in game 5 of the championship series? etc. The game can be reduced to skills sets, benefits, risks, plans, contingencies, probabilities and statistics. There is a whole other, invisible layer to contemplate about sports. You manipulate the factors to increase the likeliness of success over time, to reach the goal at the end of the season. Not much different then your video game, or trading stocks, etc.
    Actually, that's the only interesting thing related to sports. I like playing sports manager games (or used to, when I still played computer games), where you get to make those decisions, although I'm not interested in sports at all.

My biggest problem with sports is the enormous amounts of money wasted in worthless and non-productive activity.

Only sports I watch are show wrestling and martial arts.

I find betas and deltas more interested in sports than alphas, that people have been talking about in here.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Braintyping puts ESFP in the body/sports kind of typing.

NT's are all on the Mind end of things, less to do with body than anyone else. FWIW.
    ------

My SEE hubby played sports in high school and continued to be active playing Softball until I married him and curtailed that activity.

He loves sports and follows sports online, on TV, used to do so via newspaper, but who gets newspapers to read regularly anymore ...

He didn't go to a main sort of college, but always has followed one particular school as if he was an Alumni. College Football & College Basketball he follows. Professional Football he follows.

I can't stand any of the above, having been able to take a little of the college football the early years of our marriage, but that died none too later.

Hubby & I both are into MLB baseball. I grew up loving one team, he grew up loving another. We go to Minor league games most years when we can too. We go to MLB games rarely, as they are costly. He reads everything there is to read as much as he can. He's on sports forums mostly about baseball, then some about football, pretty much that is his online life.

I can stand to watch professional golf on TV on a lazy day, with something else to do, like read and watch at the same time. I've been to a couple of golf tournaments as spectator and really enjoyed it. It's kind of like baseball, in a way (both are "slower", for one thing)

I have been to a couple of college football games and I don't particularly like it. Too loud, too crowded. Baseball games are not as "rough and loud" to me, as football games are.

My thing is music. I love listening to music and knowing stuff about it. My SEE hubby could live without music on, rarely would put something on the car stereo that isn't talk,talk,talk (ugh)

The most talk I can take is something like "Whatever Martha" on satellite radio or TV, and Latenight with David Letterman, specific sorts of personalities like those. I can listen to a baseball game broadcast of my team, but prefer to watch & listen.

To me, I think of sports, I think of outdoor things to do. Hubby thinks of sports and he thinks College sports, Professional sports, football, football football.

Unfortunately the MLB World Series is over, great as it was. Now it's nothing but football & basketball until "catchers & pitcher report" and Spring Training for MLB gets underway. In my house it means that every Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday is fettered with TV blaring junk. And don't even talk about March. March Madness IS mad.

SEE's tend to be athletic but it can depend on how they were raised & influenced to attach themselves to sports probably. They seem to easily get into the "school" mindset, like it's their family. Me, as an ILI disdain all of that. More & more as I get older.

From my ILI perspective in a dual household at war with each other Sports-wise.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post

Only sports I watch are show wrestling and martial arts.
    much of that is on youtube.

have you seen chloe bruce? martial arts one level up.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are projecting your suckiness at sports. Sports are good for you. You gotta exercise and sports are that plus more fun and not straightline running and you get socializing, bonding, contacts, more stimulating and competitive. And if your real good millions of dollars.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What a load of crock. Exercising and moving your body and being active is good for you, but you don't have to do sports to do it. ;p

And if your real good millions of dollars.
    I'd rather get rich selling music. 'I don't believe in sports' - Marilyn Manson. Haha IEI <3

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I don't believe in sports?"
    Lol.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just not true... Professional sports are as full of Gammas as they are Betas (the two quadras that predominate them.)

There are more Gamma coaches than you would imagine... just off the top of my head... Some football coaches

Mack Brown -- U. Texas Football (ISFj)
    Bill Belichick -- New England Patriots (INTp)
    John McDaniels -- Denver Broncos (ENTj)
    Bill Parcells -- former Dallas Cowboys (ESFp)
    Nick Saban -- U. Alabama (ESFp)
    Jimmy Johnson -- former Dallas Cowboys (ESFp)

It really goes on and on...

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy playing a few different sports but I don't really enjoy watching sports on tv. I can watch friends play right infront of me for the most part though.

I know a SEE that is obsessed with basketball and who plays basically every sport. I know an ILI that does cross country running but I don't think he really watches sports. I know an ESI who isn't into sports at all.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only sport I enjoy is fencing.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, i do do medieval recreation fighting and larp lol
    The end is nigh

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I'm not. Not in any way, shape, or form. Closest I got to "liking" sports is playing baseball and softball when I was a kid.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my personal opinion, the profession of Sports Agent fits the gamma mindset very well.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agent? Yeah, that wouldn't be so bad as long as I didn't have to spend too much time around athletes and sports fans.
    SEE

Bow to the Ninchucks Microknight's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't often watch most sports, but I will watch MMA and boxing. With team sports, I would much rather play than watch. I enjoy playing team sports if they're something that I understand and do well at, like football or ultimate frisbee (I am very fast and explosive). I hate playing basketball, probably because I'm short and suck at it. The sports I like the most, however, are 1v1. I enjoy these the most because whether I win or lose isn't determined by variables other than myself. My success depends wholly upon whether or not I outplayed my opponent. If I defeat my opponent, I know it's because I was better, and if I lose it's because I was worse.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I know I'm not. Not in any way, shape, or form. Closest I got to "liking" sports is playing baseball and softball when I was a kid.
    Obviously, you're so fat you can barely move.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Obviously, you're so fat you can barely move.
    lol!

"so fat you can barely move" hahahahaha

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ESI mom doesn't hate sports, she's just disinterested. Same with my SEE sister.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another thread in which the OP ascribes undesirable properties to their opposing quadra in a way that is complete bullshit.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Yet another thread in which the OP ascribes undesirable properties to their opposing quadra in a way that is complete bullshit.
    +100

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Of all the people I've come across whom I've typed Gamma, I've noticed they're not really in to sports, or have said they don't like, or follow, any sports. I can't say I've ever liked sports all that much, and I've never been in to any sport. Of the Alphas I know on the other hand, plenty of them seem really into sports, and I don't really see what they see in them. Sports seem kind of counterproductive, a waste of time and energy, or too dull and repetitive of a stimulus (would be things I would say about them.) Do a lot of Gammas not like sports? (football, baseball, soccer, etc.)
    An SEE I know was provincial wrestling champ. My brother is SEE and he's really into mountain climbing.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know an LIE who's into sports. He has a strange fascination with memorizing the facts and figures of who coached which team when and which team won which world series when and stuff though. Sometimes quizzes other sports fans about it. It's strange...
    SEE

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely am not into sports at all. No interest, waste of time, etc.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a Beta, and I HATE sports, don't think it is type related, I just have a fear of objects being thrown in my direction, at me, whatever. The idea of watching a bunch of people chase a football or whatever around seems ridiculous and the collective madness behind it I really don't understand and don't want to.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENTjs seem (to me) to be quite well represented among sports commentators. They've got the typical mix of enthusiasm, technical awareness, broad knowledge and insight into the games that is required of people in that role.

I think Jack van Gelder (Dutch sports enthusiast and presentator of Studio Sport) is an ENTj:

Creepy-Cyclops

I like doing sports but I don't really like watching them. So I suppose there's a difference, kind of like music, those who do and those who listen.

Although there is minority who do both, I find sports fans, especially soccer fans, are usually unfit, they're watching while others are doing.

Don't know if it's all type related, maybe part type and part natural ability.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I like doing sports but I don't really like watching them. So I suppose there's a difference, kind of like music, those who do and those who listen.

Although there is minority who do both, I find sports fans, especially soccer fans, are usually unfit, they're watching while others are doing.

Don't know if it's all type related, maybe part type and part natural ability.
    I agree...most of my friends that watch a lot of soccer always decline invitations to play or to train toghether. I guess they just enjoy watching.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I agree...most of my friends that watch a lot of soccer always decline invitations to play or to train toghether. I guess they just enjoy watching.
    Soccer's for queers.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soccer's for queers.
    In the US, yeah. In europe we are more confident in our masculinity, so we can be queers without feeling bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast