View Poll Results: Which temperament do you relate to the most?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Choleric

5 8.20%
  • Melancholic

26 42.62%
  • Phlegmatic

19 31.15%
  • Sanguine

11 18.03%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four Temperaments: Please Vote

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Four Temperaments: Please Vote

The Classic 4 Temperaments

New edit (better short descriptions)

Sanguine

A person who is sanguine is generally light-hearted, funloving, a people person, loves to entertain, spontaneous, and confident. However they can be arrogant, cocky, and indulgent. He/She can be day-dreamy and off-task to the point of not accomplishing anything and can be impulsive, possibly acting on whims in an unpredictable fashion. The humour of Sanguine was once commonly treated with leeches.

Choleric

A person who is choleric is a doer. They have a lot of ambition, energy, and passion, and try to instill it in others. They can dominate people of other temperaments, especially phlegmatic types. Many great charismatic military and political figures were cholerics. On the negative side, they are easily angered or bad-tempered.

Melancholic

A person who is a thoughtful ponderer has a melancholic disposition. Often very kind and considerate, melancholics can be highly creative – as in poetry and art - but also can become overly pre-occupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world, thus becoming depressed. A melancholic is also often a perfectionist, being very particular about what they want and how they want it in some cases. This often results in being dissatisfied with one's own artistic or creative works and always pointing out to themselves what could and should be improved. They are often loners and most times choose to stay alone and reflect.

Phlegmatic

While phlegmatic are generally self-content and kind, their shy personality can often inhibit enthusiasm in others and make themselves lazy and resistant to change. They are very consistent, relaxed, rational, curious, and observant, making them good administrators and diplomats. Like the sanguine personality, the phlegmatic has many friends. However the phlegmatic is more reliable and compassionate; these characteristics typically make the phlegmatic a more dependable friend.

OP:

Please look elsewhere for better descriptions of the temperaments if you're unfamiliar. These are just short ones, and lack various relevant information.

If you are a choleric, you are a dynamic, self-motivated leader who can set your sights on a target and relentlessly pursue it until success is achieved. You are a strong-willed individual who makes decisions quickly and decisively, and who readily and easily grasps difficult concepts and strategies. Learning comes quickly to you, and you like to take action immediately. You think logically and pragmatically, and are sometimes accused of "rolling over" people once you have set a plan in motion. You do not readily reveal deep emotions—except anger. Cholerics are often accused of being stubborn, domineering, and dictatorial. You demand loyalty from your friends, and thrive when you are in control. Franklin Delano Roosevelt was a choleric president: "There is nothing I love as much as a good fight," he famously said.
    Time alone is vital for this reflective, introspective temperament. A perfectionist at home and on the job, the melancholic is likely the one with the perfectly organized closet and kitchen, the tidy desk-top, and the painstaking attention to religious observances, sometimes to the point of scrupulosity. A melancholic longs for a deep soul mate, yet when he is around people, he often finds himself mistrustful and disappointed. Sensing this criticism, others will keep their distance—thus further entrenching the melancholic in his solitary life. In relationships, the melancholic tends to be slow to initiate, cautious, hyper-critical, and pessimistic--yet, once committed, they are unwaveringly loyal and self-sacrificing.
    If you are a phlegmatic, you most likely possess a dry wit and a steady, amicable demeanor. You are dependable, polite, and even-tempered. You feel more comfortable in a small group of friends or even spending a quiet evening relaxing at home. You are never flashy, belligerent, or self-aggrandizing. You would rather take the blame (even unjustly) than stir up controversy or pick a fight. On the job, you seek neither power nor the limelight, but work steadily, patiently, and methodically. You are reliable, patient, and methodical on the job, and can work alone, or with the most difficult of personalities. You will prefer job security, working within a structured organization, but can also be a leader of great character and service. Former U.S. president Calvin Coolidge, for example, was known for being a man of few words, conservatism in maintaining the status quo, and a propensity for "effectively doing nothing." Once at a dinner party, a young woman bet him that she could make him say three words. Coolidge dryly replied, "You lose."
    If you are a sanguine, then you are most likely the life of the party. You are funny and relish the limelight. You are affectionate, enjoy social activities, and make friends easily. You are imaginative and creative, and are often the one who enthusiastically promotes new ideas on the job. People call you vivacious, generous, and light-hearted. You wear your emotions on your sleeve, but you are always quick to “forgive and forget.” You probably struggle with follow-through, are chronically late, and tend to be forgetful. As quickly as you discover a new hobby or pursuit, you can also lose interest--when it ceases to be engaging or fun.
    The Four Temperaments - www.4marks.com
    Last edited by 717495; 11-10-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for everyone's information, I made the poll public so everyone can see your answer, but I would rather collect the votes in the poll, rather than you just post it.

Creepy-male

Phlegmatic, perhaps surprisingly.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

From that, melancholic or phlegmatic...I don't know

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    ugh, i don't know! i want to vote, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    From that, melancholic or phlegmatic...I don't know
    Look up the long descriptions of the temperaments and decide on one. Actually, thats what I need to do. I'm wondering between phlegmatic and melancholic.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Choleric

If you are a choleric, you are a dynamic, self-motivated leader who can set your sights on a target and relentlessly pursue it until success is achieved. You are a strong-willed individual who makes decisions quickly and decisively, and who readily and easily grasps difficult concepts and strategies. Learning comes quickly to you, and you like to take action immediately. You think logically and pragmatically, and are sometimes accused of "rolling over" people once you have set a plan in motion. You do not readily reveal deep emotions—except anger. Cholerics are often accused of being stubborn, domineering, and dictatorial. You demand loyalty from your friends, and thrive when you are in control. Franklin Delano Roosevelt was a choleric president: "There is nothing I love as much as a good fight," he famously said.

The Melancholic

Time alone is vital for this reflective, introspective temperament.
    A perfectionist at home and on the job, the melancholic is likely the one with the perfectly organized closet and kitchen, the tidy desk-top, and the painstaking attention to religious observances, sometimes to the point of scrupulosity. A melancholic longs for a deep soul mate, yet when he is around people, he often finds himself mistrustful and disappointed. Sensing this criticism, others will keep their distance—thus further entrenching the melancholic in his solitary life. In relationships, the melancholic tends to be slow to initiate, cautious, hyper-critical, and pessimistic--yet, once committed, they are unwaveringly loyal and self-sacrificing.

The Phlegmatic

If you are a phlegmatic, you most likely possess a dry wit and a steady, amicable demeanor. You are dependable, polite, and even-tempered. You feel more comfortable in a small group of friends or even spending a quiet evening relaxing at home. You are never flashy, belligerent, or self-aggrandizing. You would rather take the blame (even unjustly) than stir up controversy or pick a fight. On the job, you seek neither power nor the limelight, but work steadily, patiently, and methodically. You are reliable, patient, and methodical on the job, and can work alone, or with the most difficult of personalities. You will prefer job security, working within a structured organization, but can also be a leader of great character and service. Former U.S. president Calvin Coolidge, for example, was known for being a man of few words, conservatism in maintaining the status quo, and a propensity for "effectively doing nothing." Once at a dinner party, a young woman bet him that she could make him say three words. Coolidge dryly replied, "You lose."

The Sanguine

If you are a sanguine, then you are most likely the life of the party. You are funny and relish the limelight. You are affectionate, enjoy social activities, and make friends easily. You are imaginative and creative, and are often the one who enthusiastically promotes new ideas on the job. People call you vivacious, generous, and light-hearted. You wear your emotions on your sleeve, but you are always quick to “forgive and forget.” You probably struggle with follow-through, are chronically late, and tend to be forgetful. As quickly as you discover a new hobby or pursuit, you can also lose interest--when it ceases to be engaging or fun

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I think it is said that these are opposites of each other (if that will help you decide)

Think of where you sit on the spatial poll.

Choleric <-/-> Phlegmatic
    Sanguine <-/-> Melancholic

As seen in these combination descriptions (please take a look) they don't have opposite combinations available.

http://www.4marks.com/temperaments/c...lancholic.html
    http://www.4marks.com/temperaments/c..._sanguine.html
    http://www.4marks.com/temperaments/p...lancholic.html
    http://www.4marks.com/temperaments/p..._sanguine.html
    http://www.4marks.com/temperaments/m..._choleric.html
    http://www.4marks.com/temperaments/m...hlegmatic.html
    http://www.4marks.com/temperaments/s..._choleric.html
    http://www.4marks.com/temperaments/s...hlegmatic.html

Example, if you fit with the melancholic-choleric description, you are considered dominant melancholic with secondary choleric.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Melancholic then!

Searching, I apparently got Melancholy Phlegmatic once.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    That one didn't show names, but thanks.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

took the test and I got melancholic/choleric

I agree.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    That one didn't show names, but thanks.

INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Ah, so we do have extroverts here!

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why am I not surprised that most are melancholic?
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The real answer was Melancholic-Sanguine, but oddly enough Sanguine fits the best. I really do act like the life of the party extravagant excited-y once I get to know people. When I feel like it.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Its a toss up between melancholic and phlegmatic.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phlegmatic. I've had a cold for years, so it fits.

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phlegmatic, though I would not willingly take unjust blame for something to avoid conflict, or whatever.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I'm almost certainly Phlegmatic-Melancholic also.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Phlegmatic/Melancholic.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we talk about the 4 temperaments, were not talking exactly about the 4 temperaments of Socionics. Sure melancholic is often refered to as IP for example, but this is a specific term used to describe the IP, not to say that traditional descriptions of melancholics also describes what the IP is. I would find that in many parts and opinions unfitting. So there are two slightly related "melancholics," two slightly related "phlegmatics," etc. where one should be based on Socionics. But this is an interesting theory anyhaps, and this following link's roots are more traditional:

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From another interesting site: Profile Dynamics

Choleric (High "D") Blends

1. Executive Pattern Choleric-Sanguine "D-I"

The Executive tends to be very impatient and will often take a win/lose approach to life. They are practical and use direct methods to get quick results but still show an interest in people. They are goal and bottom line oriented and can be very persuasive in promoting their ideas. They want to be in charge because of confidence in their ability to make decisions. They have boundless energy and need activity and results or they become bored. They need daily challenge and others willing to listen to them and carry out their plans. This versatile, eager, self-starter is very competitive. To be highly motivated they need freedom, the opportunity for advancement and information that will help them get results. They like having power and authority. The Choleric fights for what they think is the right way to accomplish the goal but they can accept momentary defeat and tend not to be grudge holders. They dislike weakness.

2. Motivator Pattern Choleric-Sanguine "D-I"

The Motivator tends to be very impatient and will often take a win/lose approach to life. They are practical and use direct, sometimes forceful methods to get quick results but still show some interest in people. They are goal and bottom line oriented and can be very forceful in promoting their ideas. They want to be in charge because of confidence in their ability to make decisions. They have boundless energy and need activity and results or they become bored. They need daily challenge and others willing to listen to them and carry out their plans. This versatile, eager, self-starter is very competitive. To be highly motivated they need freedom, the opportunity for advancement and information that will help them get results. They like having power and authority. The Choleric fights for what they think is the right way to accomplish the goal, but they can accept momentary defeat and tend not to be grudge holders. They dislike weakness.

3. Director Pattern Choleric-Phlegmatic "D-S"

The Director is more determined, unemotional and individualistic than the other Cholerics. They are very practical. They will use very direct and persistent methods to get results or promote their ideas. They want to be in charge because of confidence in their ability to make decisions. They usually have deep personal goals and may pursue them at the expense of the organization. They need to know the "big picture" (clear direction) before they can function efficiently. They tend to have difficulty working with others because of their independent nature and lack of natural people-skills. To be highly motivated they need freedom, independence, the opportunity for advancement and information that will help them get quick results. They dislike weakness.

4. Strategist Pattern Choleric-Melancholy "D-C"

The Strategist is more detail oriented than the other Cholerics. They initiate change. They usually operate from a well-thought through plan. They have creative ideas. They will often use very direct, forceful and persistent methods to get results or promote their ideas. They want to be in charge because of confidence in their ability to make things happen the "right" way. They like to solve problems and make decisions¾and are actually quite able to do so. They usually have well thought-out goals and are very independent in an attempt to carry them out. They need to know exactly what is expected before they can function efficiently. They can be very forceful and very sensitive. They speak with authority and are usually very productive. When working on a project they exhibit sensitivity and strategy that reveals penetrating insight. To be highly motivated they need freedom, the opportunity for advancement, information that will help them get results and the chance to make something better. They dislike weakness.

Sanguine (High "I") Blends

5. Negotiator Pattern Sanguine-Choleric "I-D"

The Negotiator is more assertive than the other Sanguines. They easily manipulate others. They are very energetic and work well with and through people. This person has an outgoing interest in others and the ability to gain the respect and confidence of varied types of individuals. They strive to do business in a friendly way while pushing forward to win objectives and sell their point of view. They are able to coordinate events and the are willing to delegate responsibilities. They exhibit poise and confidence in most situations, especially social events. They will become bored without activity and social involvement. They have a difficult time with details, organization and consistency. They prefer others to give them information that will help them make decisions rather than research it themselves. They work very well with others and make good leaders. They are very optimistic but lack follow through. To be highly motivated they need freedom of expression, recognition, involvement with people, acceptance and freedom from details.

6. Marketer Pattern Sanguine-Choleric "I-D"

The Marketer is more enthusiastic than the other Sanguines. They get very excited. This is an assertive and energetic persons who works well with and through people. They have an outgoing interest in others and the ability to gain the respect and confidence of varied types of individuals. They strive to do business in a friendly way while pushing forward to win their objectives and sell their point of view. They easily promote their own ideas or the ideas of others. They exhibit poise and confidence in most situations, especially social events. They will become bored without activity and social involvement. They have difficulty with awareness of time, organization and concentrating on details. They prefer others to give them information that will help them make decisions rather than research it themselves. They are very optimistic and enthusiastic but lack consistent follow-through. To be highly motivated they need freedom of expression, mobility, involvement with people, recognition, acceptance and freedom from details.

7. Relater Pattern Sanguine-Phlegmatic "I-S"

The Relater is more relationship oriented than the other Sanguines. They are very approachable and place high importance on enduring relationships. This person impresses most people with their warmth, empathy and understanding approach. They possess a casual kind of poise in social situations. People tend to seek them out to share their problems because they perceive them to be a good listener. Children especially like them. Although doing details and organizational things give them difficulty, they are able to do them. They work very well with others. They are optimistic and accommodating. To be highly motivated they need freedom of expression, the opportunity to build relationships and to be of service to others.

8. Performer Pattern Sanguine-Melancholy "I-C"

The Performer is more formal than the other Sanguines. They are very concerned about making a favorable impression and being accepted by others. They tend to be very image conscious and tend to actively seek recognition for their achievements. They are usually well organized but may not be consistent or follow-through. Information about their job is very important to them so they may ask many questions. They function best when they have a detailed plan. To be highly motivated they need security, freedom of expression, relationships with people and the opportunity to be creative. They also need information, time to think and a plan before they can function effectively. They may be reluctant to take action until they have confidence that they will not fail¾if they cannot be sure, they often do not try.

Phlegmatic (High "S") Blends

9. Inspector Pattern Phlegmatic-Choleric "S-D"

The Inspector is more industrious, determined and unemotional than the other Phlegmatics. This persistent individual brings a deceptively intense approach to the task. Being low-key outwardly, their involvement in a task is not easily observed. They are a dispassionate "anchor of reality." They are calm, steady and persevering. They are successful because of dogged determination. After starting a project they are tenacious and will fight hard for their objectives. They are very independent, questioning and thorough in their approach and will follow through. They want to operate by themselves and set their own pace. Once their mind is made up they will resist any other method of approach¾they can be very stubborn! They seek challenging assignments without close supervision. They prefer work of a technical nature rather than involvement with people.

10. Harmonizer Pattern Phlegmatic-Sanguine "S-I"

The Harmonizer is more friendly than the other Phlegmatics. They are very accepting and tolerant of others. This person is very accommodating and easy to be associated with in the work environment and as a friend. They need some social involvement. They are loyal, consistent and dependable. They will often work when they are ill. They are very independent minded and want to operate by themselves and set their own pace. They learn by doing. Once their mind is made up they will resist any other method of approach. They can do routine work but will need some activity during the day. They have a very difficult time saying no and will often take on more than they can do. They have a very pleasant, soft voice.

11. Helper Pattern Phlegmatic-Melancholy "S-C"

The Helper is more consistent than the other Phlegmatics. They are very routine, accommodating and passive. Patience, control and deliberateness characterize the usual behavior of this amiable and easy going individual. This determined and persistent individual brings a deceptively intense approach to the task. Being low-key, their involvement in a task is not easily observed. They are calm, steady and persevering. They are successful because of persistence. After starting a project they will usually see it through to completion. They are independent, questioning and thorough in their approach and will follow through. They want to operate by themselves and set their own pace. They are very possessive of family, material things and friends. Once their mind is made up they will resist any other method of approach. They prefer work of a technical nature and involvement with a limited number of people. They approach a task with calculated moderation. They are always willing to help those they consider to be their friend.

Melancholy (High "C") Blends

12. Trainer Pattern Melancholy-Choleric C-D"

The Trainer is more forceful than the other Melancholies. They are systematic, precise thinkers and follow procedures in both their business and personal life. They are attentive to detail and push to have things done correctly, according to their own predetermined standards. They are sensitive and conscientious. They normally behave in a diplomatic manner except when it comes to deviating from standards they have accepted. They can then be very forceful in insisting the right way be followed. They are not socially active, preferring work and privacy to people. They tend to have difficulty in relationships because they are not flexible and they can be abrasive when communicating with others. They make decisions slowly because of collecting and analyzing information until they are sure of the best course of action. To be highly motivated they need a structured environment with clear rules and procedures, time to organize, collect information, think and the freedom to develop a plan.

13. Idealist Pattern Melancholy-Phlegmatic-Choleric "C-S-D"

The Idealist is unique because the Choleric temperament has strong influence on their behavior. The combination of Melancholy-Phlegmatic-Choleric urges this person to "push" their ideal standards to perfection.

The Idealist is a systematic, precise thinker and will follow procedures in both their business and personal life. They are attentive to detail and push to have things done correctly, according to predetermined standards (usually their own). They are conscientious in work requiring accuracy and maintaining high, sometimes unrealistic, standards. They normally behave in a diplomatic manner except when it comes to deviating from standards they have accepted. They can then be very forceful in insisting the "right way" be followed. They are not socially active, preferring privacy. They tend to have difficulty in relationships because they are rigid and maintain high standards. They make decisions slowly because of collecting and analyzing information until they are sure of the best course of action. To be highly motivated they need a structured environment with clear rules and procedures, time to organize, collect information, think and the freedom to develop a plan.

14. Diplomat Pattern Melancholy-Sanguine "C-I"

The Diplomat is more friendly than the other Melancholy blends. They have high personal ambitions. This is a well-balanced systematic, precise thinker and worker who tends to follow procedures in both their business and personal life. They are attentive to detail and friendly. They like to do things correctly, according to predetermined standards. They are extremely conscientious. They need some mobility, rather then sitting for long periods of time. This is a versatile, productive individual that works well with most everyone. At times they can be sensitive, especially to criticism. They make decisions slowly because of collecting and analyzing information until they are sure of the best course of action (this is especially true when involved in a new project). To be highly motivated they need a structured environment with clear rules and procedures, time to organize, collect information, think and time to develop a plan and have some social interaction.

15. Analyst Pattern Melancholy-Phlegmatic "C-S"

The Analyst is more conscientious and private than the other Melancholy blends. They withdraw from aggressive people. This quite individual works well in a structured environment requiring attention to detail. They are a systematic, precise thinker and worker who tends to follow procedures in both their business and personal life. They make decisions slowly because of collecting and analyzing information until they are sure of the right and best course of action (this is especially true when involved in a new project). They are good at anticipating problems but not good at taking action. They are usually very well organized and function best when they have a well-through out plan. To be highly motivated they need a structured environment with clear rules and procedures, time to organize, collect information, think and the time to develop a plan.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

phlegmatic
    but based on these descriptions, a mash-up of phlegmatic and melancholic

I identify more with the wikipedia description

"While phlegmatic are generally self-content and kind, their shy personality can often inhibit enthusiasm in others and make themselves lazy and resistant to change. They are very consistent, relaxed, rational, curious, and observant, making them good administrators and diplomats. Like the sanguine personality, the phlegmatic has many friends. However the phlegmatic is more reliable and compassionate; these characteristics typically make the phlegmatic a more dependable friend."
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I identify with all of them, to a degree, except melancholic. If I had to rank them, I'd say Sanguine>Choleric>Phlegmatic>Melancholic.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

These categories are too generalized to be useful, just like most psychology.

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sanguine

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    These categories are too generalized to be useful, just like most psychology.
    Lol, what are you anti-typology? GTFO!

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

lol. Not anti-typology, I'm just kinda pro-common sense?

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8. Performer Pattern Sanguine-Melancholy "I-C"

The Performer is more formal than the other Sanguines. They are very concerned about making a favorable impression and being accepted by others. They tend to be very image conscious and tend to actively seek recognition for their achievements. They are usually well organized but may not be consistent or follow-through. Information about their job is very important to them so they may ask many questions. They function best when they have a detailed plan. To be highly motivated they need security, freedom of expression, relationships with people and the opportunity to be creative. They also need information, time to think and a plan before they can function effectively. They may be reluctant to take action until they have confidence that they will not fail¾if they cannot be sure, they often do not try.
    I can't believe I guessed so well! This fits me surprisingly accurately, although I don't by any means consider myself formal. I'm not image conscious in the stereotypical outward appearance way, but I am very conscious of what others think about me. I do like having... not necessarily a detailed plan (I want to leave room for what happens in the moment), but certainly a detailed set of instructions for any activity that I have to perform. I need to know what I'm doing before I do it, unless I'm good enough/free enough to improvise.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    lol. Not anti-typology, I'm just kinda pro-common sense?
    Lol. I'm anti-pro.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm beginning to have issues with the melancholic one because of its focus on details, a structured environment, and other OCD related things. Except for sanguine, most of these seem rather anal to me (and sanguine is just too outgoing). I'm beginning to wonder if phlegmatic-melancholic really fits better.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this supposed to correlate with the temperaments of socionics? E.g. choleric = EJ, melancholic = IP, sanguine = EP, Phlematic= IJ ? If yes, then how can there be temperament mixtures that wouldn't make sense using the original two subtypes (such as Phlegmatic-melancholy [IJ+IP ], for instance)? With the DCNH subtype system maybe they would?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xkj220 View Post
    Is this supposed to correlate with the temperaments of socionics? E.g. choleric = EJ, melancholic = IP, sanguine = EP, Phlematic= IJ ? If yes, then how can there be temperament mixtures that wouldn't make sense using the original two subtypes (such as Phlegmatic-melancholy [IJ+IP ], for instance)? With the DCNH subtype system maybe they would?
    They're described a bit differently in Socionics. Didn't I already say this?

They're basically not supposed to be type-related, but in a more internal sense of the Socionics temperaments, kind of an intuitive and abstract concept of them, with some main themes and points to go along, they are type related.

For instance, my EII friend has easily tested as high Choleric and low Phlegmatic, yet I have no real reason to doubt he's a Socionics Phlegmatic, which can be seen in one light as a balanced, calm and methodical introverted person. It wouldn't technically make sense for him to be a dominant Choleric if he's obviously introverted. But yes, he tests as traditionally dominant Choleric, in a way I can see it, and that doesn't seem to be type related, and it also seems to waver more so from time to time than the temperaments do. Noted in his past he has been a lot more Phlegmatic, and when I say I'm a Melancholic IP, shouldn't mean that I'm traditionally Melancholic, but I'm known for it in a more natural sense. Out of those descriptions I'm the most Melancholic with secondary Phlegmatic.

I'm not OCD. I think melancholic-pragmatists are rather the most likely of the IPs to be OCD, aka SLIs. Otherwise, my LII friend is more OCD then they are, IJ OCD > IP OCD. Seems like a lot of description for Melancholic goes with the IP but not some things, not always, but could be depending on the person. All in all, I'm not trying to change your traditional outlook and convince you of being Melancholic if you're an IP, because the concepts are different.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here I found some more descriptions, these ones I liked and are from wikipedia: (the only thing I'd say is some need a bit more alteration, such as the phlegmatic has lots of friends, might not always really be so true (certainly more true in general however, no doubt), or in another case they make sanguine sound altogether too crazy and don't give them time to breathe, which is not an impossible phenomenon, but isn't inclusive. still, not bad.)

Sanguine

A person who is sanguine is generally light-hearted, funloving, a people person, loves to entertain, spontaneous, and confident. However they can be arrogant, cocky, and indulgent. He/She can be day-dreamy and off-task to the point of not accomplishing anything and can be impulsive, possibly acting on whims in an unpredictable fashion. The humour of Sanguine was once commonly treated with leeches.

Choleric

A person who is choleric is a doer. They have a lot of ambition, energy, and passion, and try to instill it in others. They can dominate people of other temperaments, especially phlegmatic types. Many great charismatic military and political figures were cholerics. On the negative side, they are easily angered or bad-tempered.

Melancholic

A person who is a thoughtful ponderer has a melancholic disposition. Often very kind and considerate, melancholics can be highly creative – as in poetry and art - but also can become overly pre-occupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world, thus becoming depressed. A melancholic is also often a perfectionist, being very particular about what they want and how they want it in some cases. This often results in being dissatisfied with one's own artistic or creative works and always pointing out to themselves what could and should be improved. They are often loners and most times choose to stay alone and reflect.

Phlegmatic

While phlegmatic are generally self-content and kind, their shy personality can often inhibit enthusiasm in others and make themselves lazy and resistant to change. They are very consistent, relaxed, rational, curious, and observant, making them good administrators and diplomats. Like the sanguine personality, the phlegmatic has many friends. However the phlegmatic is more reliable and compassionate; these characteristics typically make the phlegmatic a more dependable friend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phlegmatic?
    ﴾ لَهُمْ دَارُ السَّلاَمِ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَهُوَ وَلِيُّهُمْ بِمَا كَانُواْ يَعْمَلُونَ ﴿
    "When you see an evil act you have to stop it with your hand.
    If you can't, then at least speak out against it with your tongue.
    If you can't, then at least you have to hate it with all your heart.
    And this is the weakest of faith."

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm probably about 60% Choleric and 35% Sanguine.
    Last edited by Joy; 11-10-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I know some EIEs for that matter who come in various colors and personalities, but they all seem to be Choleric. It's a popular EJ thing. I'd say the description I just posted is one of the better fits.

My music professor is a hot-tempered, opinionated, emotionally hostile, challenging EIE. He's an intense old man to be around and even listen to in a giant classroom. Tries to get people to come out of their shells, and has a lot of bad days, and likes to go animated and fake emotions of laughter and disgust. Tells a lot of life-changing stories of fiction and nonfiction, very fluidly, extremely good-hearted person who urges to help people he doesn't like. You would have never thought he'd be this way when he was young though, from his point of view. He used to be very introverted, and has been through a life of struggle. Wife died of extreme alchoholism.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm as sanguine as you can get.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast