Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: the interaction of the 2nd and 6th functions in duality

  1. #1
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default the interaction of the 2nd and 6th functions in duality

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    2: "What you do"; a tool you use in conjunction with your first function. You like seeing others use this and encourage them to do so. You like doing it, but you don't want someone to be completely dependent on you for it all of the time.

    6: "What you want"; while you're attracted to this function in others, what you most want is for outside sources to encourage you to use it and to make you feel like you're good at it.
    This has been a subject that's caught my interest recently. Any thoughts on it. I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who have witnessed dual couples that have been together for a very long time.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  2. #2
    Marie84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    TIM
    EII
    Posts
    2,359
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wouldn't this work similarly to Gulenko's theory of the Erotic Roles....Caregiver (Si)+ Infantile(Ne) and Aggressor(Se)+Victim(Ni)?
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

  3. #3
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    Wouldn't this work similarly to Gulenko's theory of the Erotic Roles....Caregiver (Si)+ Infantile(Ne) and Aggressor(Se)+Victim(Ni)?
    No?

    I mean, from what I can see they're two totally separate aspects of the theory.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  4. #4
    not a bumblebee octo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I see it as a sort of Master-Apprentice relationship. After the pair are comfortable with each other, the Apprentice (the partner with the IM as their HA) will start showing the Master (the partner with the IM as their creative) their The Master will compliment the Apprentice when they use the function, and will offer assistance and suggestions. With the 1st/5th functions the partners will laugh at the others' attempts and rush in to save the day, but with the 2nd/6th functions there's less teasing and more concerted efforts to help the other improve.

    My parents are ESE-Si (mum) and LII-Ne (dad). My mum is the caretaker of the house - cooking, sewing, etc. - but every once in a while my dad decides to cook for everyone, or fix his own clothes, or buy us clothes (yeah, LII father trying to buy his teenage daughters jeans - NOT GOOD). My mum will take us quietly aside and tell us to be supportive, even if it's really bad, because otherwise my dad's feelings will get hurt.

    I can't think of an Ne example at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    I see it as a sort of Master-Apprentice relationship. After the pair are comfortable with each other, the Apprentice (the partner with the IM as their HA) will start showing the Master (the partner with the IM as their creative) their The Master will compliment the Apprentice when they use the function, and will offer assistance and suggestions. With the 1st/5th functions the partners will laugh at the others' attempts and rush in to save the day, but with the 2nd/6th functions there's less teasing and more concerted efforts to help the other improve.

    My parents are ESE-Si (mum) and LII-Ne (dad). My mum is the caretaker of the house - cooking, sewing, etc. - but every once in a while my dad decides to cook for everyone, or fix his own clothes, or buy us clothes (yeah, LII father trying to buy his teenage daughters jeans - NOT GOOD). My mum will take us quietly aside and tell us to be supportive, even if it's really bad, because otherwise my dad's feelings will get hurt.

    I can't think of an Ne example at the moment.
    Hey, I'll trade you some of my Ni for some of your Ti. How does that sound?

  6. #6
    jughead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default ?

    "With the 1st/5th functions the partners will laugh at the others' attempts and rush in to save the day" What do you mean by this?
    Does this mean if I saw a Se Dominant type failing at Ni I would laugh at them and take over the situation?

  7. #7
    not a bumblebee octo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jughead View Post
    "With the 1st/5th functions the partners will laugh at the others' attempts and rush in to save the day" What do you mean by this?
    Does this mean if I saw a Se Dominant type failing at Ni I would laugh at them and take over the situation?
    I'm assuming you're ILI?

    In my experience, if there's a prior relationship, then yes. It's not cruel laughter - it's a mutual acknowledgement that that particular area is solely within the realm of the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

  8. #8
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's like when you see a little kid trying to lift something that's way too big for them and you're like "awww, let me do that for you". It's super easy for you (it's not even work!), and it's cute that they were struggling a lot with it.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •