Thread: Would you want to change your Enneagram type?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Would you want to change your Enneagram type?

state your e-type and what you'd like to switch it to, and why.

Me? I'm E4w5 and I'd like to be a 7w8. Because they're FUN and powerful and able to do anything, including leap tall buildings in a single bound.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Creepy-male

I know I was recently running around claiming myself Master Guru of E6, but I'm back to thinking I'm 9w1.

9w1 is pretty sweet. I guess it's a mixed blessing and curse that I'm currently in a state where things aren't really mentally registering with me. I wouldn't mind 9w8, so I can actually get things done and not be such a permeable doormat, and similarly 3 could be interesting, in terms of getting things done and whatnot, but it seems pretty lonely.

So, in short, I can see the downsides of being a Nine applying to me, but I don't really see them as negatively affecting me. None of the other styles seem really all that appealing, either.

EDIT

Case study of "Why being a Nine can be a bad thing".

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Would like: 7, 9
    Okay: 1, 4, 6, 8
    Would not want: 2, 3, 5

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Would like: 7, 9
    Okay: 1, 4, 6, 8
    Would not want: 2, 3, 5
    same! but I think I'd rather have 5 than 1.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nah i'm cool, guess wing 8 could be better than wing 6 though
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very happy with my 4w3-or-maybe-3w4-ness. I thought it would be cool to be a 5, but after thinking about it, that doesn't sound super-exciting. Being a 9 or a 1 would be annoying. Being a 2 would actually be OK for me; I wouldn't mind that. At least they're helpful. Being an 8 is WAY too much work for me. Being a 7 would be fun. I don't know about 6.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd try out 7 and 9.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4, 9, 5. But not 1 or 8.

Creepy-male

Lol, everyone wants to give Nine a spin.

It's a mire disguised as a garden, guys

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way. If I was forced to change, I'd choose type 9.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

being a 4 could be interesting, but I don't know if I could go for more than a day.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I think you can change your E-type, and really, once you get to the healthy levels, it hardly makes much difference.
    Enneagram Gurus always said that your E-type is set for life, there is no change... personally I would think changing Socionic type would be easier than Enneagram type; but leaning that both probably can't be changed.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know. There's such a focus on deficiencies and issues with E-types that it seems like it becomes something that limits people. They lock themselves into destructive behavior and then justify it. I think overall it's not a great system, and buying too much into it isn't especially useful. If you notice the destructive habits of your E-type, and work to change them, haven't you in effect, changed your type?
    No. Because all that is is just that it changes you Level of healthiness. You still exhibit the "Instinctual" core of Enneagram behavior. If "instinctual" is the right word here, because, and I might be wrong about this, that I think Enneagram is more about how you react instinctively and Socionics is more about how you take in information from reality? and Enneagram always stress about your virtue, your basic fear, and your desire etc... I do agree that the Enneagram system can be very negative, when I first read the Meyers Briggs, almost all the description sounds so "god like", maybe that why it is so popular in the first place, because people like the description of what it is written about their type in the Meyers Briggs.

1)

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your type have negatives on lower levels and more positives on healthier levels. E-types have weaknesses and strengths so I don't know why getting rid of negative aspects of a type you loose your e-type altogether. In my opinion the focus on negatives is in order to highlight the need to grow. As for it being flawed etc. thats the same with socionics or other pseudoscience things, it will always be flawed. so yeh buying too much into it is probably a good thing, as long as it helps in some way and not limits you Id say any mumbo jumbo is a positive thing, at least for me.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The healthy attitudes and behaviors of each type don't seem to look all that different from each other though. You can hardly tell one from another.

I dislike the enneagram, and I really really don't want to be a 1, especially in the unhealthy levels. I'm scared to go there again. I'd much rather believe that I can prevent myself from being a 1, that I can, through effort, change that orientation. That's who I most do not want to be, and I can't believe that I have no choice in the matter.
    , I understand. Some types do have harder lives and don't fit to this society in their natural mode. I hate to be a three also. We just have to work with what we got, at least try to get the best out of it. All types looks good when they are in Level 1 in healthiness, but you gotta mesh with people who would appreciate you at the core; healthy or unhealthy.

1)

2)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akra View Post
    Yes and no.

On the one hand, it'd be a hell of a lot easier and clear-cut about my socionics type if I was a more "traditional" for an EII (such as 9w1, from what I understand?) 4 is more traditionally IEI, and it confuses the issue (Beta vs. Delta helps as a distinction, and just the pure function valuing.)

Being a 4 makes it hard for me to stay in the present where I should theoretically excel, and I don't have the function "backing" to feel I really do well in the past/future spheres. Then I feel like a failure constantly, probably interacting with an EII's want for perfection of self and the 4's tendency to perceive themselves as different/isolated. Greenhouse effect, really--I've never been a healthy 4 and struggle to stay even in average levels in my life. Which would be fine if I hadn't already put so much work into healing myself, but when you've already gone through 2.5 years of weekly therapy and you realize you're still so messed up, it's discouraging.

On the other hand, even if I'm nowhere near close, if I can rise to become a healthy 4 I should theoretically have a really well developed sense of most of the functions (even my weak/non-valuing ones). There's SO much potential, I can almost taste it. But I can't find my way to it, or at least haven't been able to thus far...

It's like anything in life--a mixed bag.
    Nah, EII 4's are cooler version than the rest IMO.

1)

2)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why?
    Maybe I can relate to their 4 uniqueness, I have known another INFj 6, she was ok. but I feel that a Beta NF would most likely sympathize with an INFj or Delta NF if they share share the same enneagram as well. One specific thing I like about them is their understanding; it seems like that their understand has a lot in common to me or even other Beta NF, to an extend that if I have never learned Socionic I don' think I would know they are in an opposing Quadra.

See come to think of it, the Socionic description of Contrary really holds true. When I am alone with an INFj, conversation seem to flare up a lot of inner thoughts and reflection which make us appreciated each other. When in groups, interaction does changes and because we use Hidden agenda more often in groups, the relationship, (contrary) which has both of the hidden agenda and Polr reversed,would caused the introvert partner to suppress the extrovert one. It is why I think Contrary isn't a bad relationship until Polr/Hidden agenda differences strikes. but when it is only one on one, you kinda use your first and second function more which is well accepted by your contrary, and especially with temperament match.

1)

2)

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

There's such a focus on deficiencies and issues with E-types that it seems like it becomes something that limits people. They lock themselves into destructive behavior and then justify it. I think overall it's not a great system, and buying too much into it isn't especially useful.
    I disagree, I think enneagram is better for self-improvement and is a great system for that area. (But I think socionics describes our relationships with others much much better) I don't see people locking themselves into destructive behavior and trying to justify it, do you have any evidence of that? I just think focusing in on ANY type of psychology, or taking it too much to heart, is unhealthy and makes one neurotic.

If you notice the destructive habits of your E-type, and work to change them, haven't you in effect, changed your type?
    This just doesn't make sense at all. The whole theory of integration pretty much negates what you're saying.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That makes a lot of sense. I liked it best when we'd talk one-on-one (like chatbox mostly), and to a lesser extent in stickam if the conversation would shift to a one-on-one atmosphere within in a smaller group of people. But when there was a LARGE group in stickam it was harder to relate to you. (Then again, at the time when there was a large group in stickam it got really Beta, so that kind of biases things.)

Actually, that really applies to Betas in general for me--I do much better talking to you all one-on-one. Maybe it's because Betas are so much more large group oriented, and Deltas aren't so much...
    yea...

1)

2)

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I disagree, I think enneagram is better for self-improvement and is a great system for that area. (But I think socionics describes our relationships with others much much better) I don't see people locking themselves into destructive behavior and trying to justify it, do you have any evidence of that? I just think focusing in on ANY type of psychology, or taking it too much to heart, is unhealthy and makes one neurotic.

This just doesn't make sense at all. The whole theory of integration pretty much negates what you're saying.
    I agree with this.

Enneagram is a great tool in discovering yourself, probably more so than socionics. The reason it seems to focus on the negatives is because the types exist as a way to cope with natural stressors.The less problems we have, the less the type shows itself. Enneagram helps you understand the root of that.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dislike the enneagram, and I really really don't want to be a 1, especially in the unhealthy levels. I'm scared to go there again. I'd much rather believe that I can prevent myself from being a 1, that I can, through effort, change that orientation. That's who I most do not want to be, and I can't believe that I have no choice in the matter.
    Becoming perfect through effort? Sounds like a 1 attitude
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm quite happy with 3w2, now that I know I am one. It's like I've given myself permission to stand out from the crowd now--something I've always been afraid to do.

but if I wanted something else, I wouldn't want 9, 5 or 4.
    I'd give 1w9, 8w9, or 7w8 a try.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being a 3 is pretty great, but I would like to try being a 7w8 so/sx.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think I'd most like to be a 7 or 8 and least like to be a 4.

1: I admire them for being able to stand up for what they believe in and in having firm beliefs. On the other hand they can be real sticklers for the rules and inflexible. I don't think I'd want to be this type.

2: I admire their people skills and the ability to make others feel good about themselves. However, they can be too emotional, too manipulative, too neglecting of their own needs. I wouldn't want to permanently be this type but it might be fun to try it on for a short while since it's so different from who I am.

3: I admire their ability to get things done and appear successful in the eyes of others, yet I get the impression the 3's aren't necessarily satisfied with their own level of success. I also wouldn't feel comfortable with sacrificing myself for success like some of the 3's do. So no, I wouldn't want to be this type.

4: I admire their creativity, originality, and ability to feel things deeply. However, this is the type I'd least like to be because of the melancholy and pain and envy that so many fours feel.

5: As a type five, what I like best about it is the intellectual orientation, and the objectivity. What I like least about it is the withdrawn orientation and not always having the best social skills. For the most part, I'm okay with being this type.

6: I respect their loyalty, their realiability, and their courage. I dislike the overly sceptical attitude, their uncertainty, and the anxiety. I would not want to be the phobic version. On the other hand, I would be okay with being the counterphobic version- the courage to face their own fears. That's a very admirable quality in my book.

7: This is probably the type I most wish to be. I like their lighthearted and carefree nature, their optimism, and their sense of fun. I dislike their flightiness and unreliability that sometimes comes from planning to do more than they can realistically undertake.

8: This would be my second choice. I like that they are strong, don't take crap from others, and are sure of their ground regardless of what others think. I am put off by their overly aggressive and blunt natures at times. This type seems to be strong in alot of areas I feel weak in.

9: I admire their easygoing nature, their tolerance, their flexibility, and their kind natures. I can see why many would choose to be this type. I don't think I would choose this type because of their passivity, tendency to procrastinate, and in some ways they just blend in too much without standing out- so they seem more dull and less interesting.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

6 is probably one of the worst types to be in average or unhealthy lives but healthy/integrated 6s are probably the best of all types so *shrug*. I like being a 6.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I like being my type for the upside, but the downside really is crippling. I would think that the downside of all types suck, so why would I want to be something different? E types are things to be transcended. They merely represent fixations or blockages in clear healthy functioning. So by asking "Do you want to change your enneatype?" you're asking if I want to trade chicken pox for the flu. The answer is I don't want either, I want to transcend both.

However based on the some positive qualities associated with the types, I wouldn't mind trying out 4, 5 or 7 for size (at times where I am not an optimally functioning 6, and feel lacking in some regard).

It's sort of moot though because when I'm at my best and optimally functioning, I don't feel I'm missing or lacking anything and feel totally content and at peace with who/what I am.

Krae once linked me this site which touches on some really nice things. Scroll down to where it talks about the "liberated" versions of each type.

Lissa Friedman, Ph.D. Art Therapy, Enneagram of Awakening Consciousness Workshops:Articles

When you're on such an optimal level of functioning I feel like duality ceases to exist and all the types become one essentially, so there really isn't any missing out on the qualities of the others. Think of the arrows in the enneagram. When you're at that transcended level, the energy isn't blocked or "fixated" at one, it keeps flowing through all of them

(the reverse direction of these arrows):

Creepy-male

Cyproterone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Suppression of adrenal function and reduced response to ACTH have been reported."

For anyone wishing to try out being a Nine. I'll have fun letting you all wonder to yourselves why exactly I'm on those pills

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    I think I'd most like to be a 7 or 8 and least like to be a 4.

1: I admire them for being able to stand up for what they believe in and in having firm beliefs. On the other hand they can be real sticklers for the rules and inflexible. I don't think I'd want to be this type.

2: I admire their people skills and the ability to make others feel good about themselves. However, they can be too emotional, too manipulative, too neglecting of their own needs. I wouldn't want to permanently be this type but it might be fun to try it on for a short while since it's so different from who I am.

3: I admire their ability to get things done and appear successful in the eyes of others, yet I get the impression the 3's aren't necessarily satisfied with their own level of success. I also wouldn't feel comfortable with sacrificing myself for success like some of the 3's do. So no, I wouldn't want to be this type.

4: I admire their creativity, originality, and ability to feel things deeply. However, this is the type I'd least like to be because of the melancholy and pain and envy that so many fours feel.

5: As a type five, what I like best about it is the intellectual orientation, and the objectivity. What I like least about it is the withdrawn orientation and not always having the best social skills. For the most part, I'm okay with being this type.

6: I respect their loyalty, their realiability, and their courage. I dislike the overly sceptical attitude, their uncertainty, and the anxiety. I would not want to be the phobic version. On the other hand, I would be okay with being the counterphobic version- the courage to face their own fears. That's a very admirable quality in my book.

7: This is probably the type I most wish to be. I like their lighthearted and carefree nature, their optimism, and their sense of fun. I dislike their flightiness and unreliability that sometimes comes from planning to do more than they can realistically undertake.

8: This would be my second choice. I like that they are strong, don't take crap from others, and are sure of their ground regardless of what others think. I am put off by their overly aggressive and blunt natures at times. This type seems to be strong in alot of areas I feel weak in.

9: I admire their easygoing nature, their tolerance, their flexibility, and their kind natures. I can see why many would choose to be this type. I don't think I would choose this type because of their passivity, tendency to procrastinate, and in some ways they just blend in too much without standing out- so they seem more dull and less interesting.
    Awesome description.

1)

2)

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm a 4w5, and this is a HUGE negative, it makes me kinda happy to want to aspire to be my own person, but it does have huge responsibilities because I tend to go against what everyone wants me to do, like I've unplugged myself from the Matrix.
    I would prefer to be a 1 or 3 because they seem to do well in life.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes when I see 7 I think "I wish I had your problem". That's probably because it isn't a problem to me and I wouldn't be able to fixate on it then and so I would be expelled from the high-energy chasing everything in the universe at once so I can never stop and face/see/be with myself-ness.

Creepy-Diana

Creepy-male

Pretty much everyone hates 1s at anything besides the very highest, healthiest levels though.
    Except for other Ones!

Anyway, they can be weird in a way that makes you smile like that old lady from Patch Adams when Robin Williams swung down from that street light.

I disagree. My tutor was a 1wSomething. Really chill guy, unbelievably. My main complaint is that he didn't know quite how to sell all his visionary idealism, which was always a pity.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much everyone hates 1s at anything besides the very highest, healthiest levels though.
    That's because too many people associate 1s with self-righteous jackasses and know-it-all assholes that may or may not be 1s.

true, unhealthy 1s will be that way, but anyone who is closed-minded will act that way too. The truth is that most people are on the healthy side of their type for the most part.

All competent types strive for objectivity meaning that healthy 1s are more likely than most to be objective, but will, just as other competent types, abandon objectivity at unhealthy levels.

No one is going to like anyone who is unhealthy. Saying this specifically about 1s is just showing bias or at least misunderstanding.
    Last edited by Azeroffs; 11-04-2009 at 04:04 AM.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggested 1w9 for Krig the Viking, so I don't think Diana is the only 1 on this board.

I have a 1w2 in my trifix, which means all my moralizing is done underneath a smooth 3ish veneer (my core type is 3). I tried to repress it when I was younger because it's not very "hip" to be morally superior, but I'm sorta coming to terms with it. It's where a lot, if not all of my strength comes from.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He said, "but you gotta mesh with people who would appreciate you at the core; healthy or unhealthy." That is what I was responding to. And I'm obviously referring specifically to 1s, because that's my E-type.
    Well, it's very hard to mesh with people that are unhealthy because if you are unhealthy you are separating yourself. Once you reach the unhealthy levels you put the fixation before everything else including those close to you. It doesn't matter what type you are.

Don't sell yourself short as a 1, that's all I'm really trying to say. 1s are no better and no worse than any other type.
    3w4-5w6-9w8