Thread: Socionics is true or not?

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Socionics is true or not?

I was once told that P types usually have a hard time accepting socionics and other personality typologies. P types tend to think socionics is too constricting to really place a label on all people while J types tend to be more accepting of such systems.

I am a J type, and I fully accept the validity of these systems. I realize that not all of it is necessarily true, but the notion of all people being able to fit into a limited number of types seems plausible to me.

any thoughts?
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a P type, and I don't accept your theory.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm... I believe that socionics is a relatively accurate approximation of reality (like everything else is to a greater or lesser degree). But I would not be OK with the idea of socionics perfectly capturing the reality of cognition. But, of course, since no one seems to be able to quite settle on exactly what the IMs are in a satisfactory manner (thank goodness, because if someone could, there would be much less to talk about), that's not a concern.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    I was once told that P types usually have a hard time accepting socionics and other personality typologies. P types tend to think socionics is too constricting to really place a label on all people while J types tend to be more accepting of such systems.

I am a J type, and I fully accept the validity of these systems. I realize that not all of it is necessarily true, but the notion of all people being able to fit into a limited number of types seems plausible to me.

any thoughts?
    perception is knowing what is actually going on in the reality, whereas judgement is making decisions. you cannot do both at the same time. hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge.

There is an old saying that goes something like this:

The plan fails the moment the fight begins.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so we agree. It's shit
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

P types tend to think socionics is too constricting to really place a label on all people while J types tend to be more accepting of such systems.
    That isn't true. I'm a p type and I think socionics is *extremely* useful, as long as you understand the limitations. Rick and Expat already talked beautifully at length about this, so read what they wrote about it. =D

You just have to have a clear conceptual understanding of what socionics says, and what it doesn't say. What it can do for you, and where the limitations are. Take this easy to understand example for example: You can be duals with somebody that speaks a different language than you! You don't understand the language that they're speaking, so realistically a relationship can't work out even if you love each other to death! Would you try to learn a whole new language just for this person? Probably not lol. Also what if you're duals with somebody whose race/skin color turns you off? I never found asian men attractive, so if an ESTp gay asian man came along- I'd look the other way.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Labels are good for people.

SAY FOR EXAMPLE. You have two jars of peanut butter, unmarked. One brand of peanut butter has a chemical in it that you are deathly allergic to, the other- is fine for you. You need the label to accurately represent what you can and can't eat, what you should and shouldn't have. The label just has to be accurate, but labels in and of themselves aren't the problem. ;p

This goes without saying but it annoys me when people are all 'YOU CAN'T LABEL THINGS!! DON'T LABEL IT.'

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

any thoughts?
    I'm inclined to agree with you but I do want to add that there is still plenty of variation even within people of the same type.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Labels are good for people.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any thoughts?
    I'm P and I fully accept socionics.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waddlesworth View Post
    Chunk of wood that I have half a mind to burn.

*labels "chicken noodle soup"*

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I reject socionics, but find that it describes certain structures that are real and makes claims that are close to the truth.