Thread: Who acts like this: ISTj or ISTp?

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Who acts like this: ISTj or ISTp?

Who would be most likely to be surprised and disappointed if things don't go as planned, an SLI or an LSI? Like if something doesn't turn out the way they had imagined, which happens often.

Example 1: they get really excited about decorating their room a certain way, put a lot of work into it and are extremely disappointed and depressed when the result doesn't match their expectations

Example 2: they make plans to do something special with a significant other, plans fall through due to poor scheduling, they become irreversably disappointed ("the night is ruined"), proceeds to act cold and unresponsive

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSI. Probably. I can't imagine an SLI getting annoyed about anything like that.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    LSI. Probably. I can't imagine an SLI getting annoyed about anything like that.
    agreed.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could this be related to lack of foresight, first and foremost? Especially the part about being so shocked that things could've turned out this way. It seems to me like an inability to foresee things accurately, which creates an incorrect idea that will inevitably bring disappointment once realized. It does seem like somewhat rigid thinking, though I find it quite endearing because to me it shows that they actually care and I can then make them feel better about it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's general S.

no offense.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    it's general S.

no offense.
    S as in Sensor? or as in Shit?

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't imagine an SLI getting annoyed about anything like that.
    Why?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Why?
    would you?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband wouldn't be bothered by plans falling through. He'd be miserable being married to me. LOL.

LSIs I've known have HATED about me how I have trouble keeping with plans. The poor scheduling thing. They want things to happen as planned.

Ne makes people have trouble staying on one course. If you value Ne, it doesn't bother you when the course changes, but if Ne is not a valued function, you might very well not like that.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if it's so much about plans falling through per se. It's more like he gets excited about the idea in his mind and when it doesn't happen the way he pictures, he has difficulty getting past it.

He's very open to moving things around beforehand though. If I suggest rearanging things, he's usually pretty willing to go with it. We've cancelled plans at the last minute or just decided not to follow through plenty of times before and it hasn't been an issue. The only time it seems to bother him is when he has idealized the plan in his mind, but not when it's just an obligation.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    My husband wouldn't be bothered by plans falling through. He'd be miserable being married to me. LOL.

LSIs I've known have HATED about me how I have trouble keeping with plans. The poor scheduling thing. They want things to happen as planned.

Ne makes people have trouble staying on one course. If you value Ne, it doesn't bother you when the course changes, but if Ne is not a valued function, you might very well not like that.
    Changing direction and adjusting to new possibilities does not bother me, but if I set my hopes and expectations on something specific (doesn't have to be anything concrete though, it can just be a conceptual idea/goal) and fail to reach it, I can easily get disappointed.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    Could this be related to lack of foresight, first and foremost? Especially the part about being so shocked that things could've turned out this way. It seems to me like an inability to foresee things accurately, which creates an incorrect idea that will inevitably bring disappointment once realized. It does seem like somewhat rigid thinking, though I find it quite endearing because to me it shows that they actually care and I can then make them feel better about it.
    I'm sure there's a lack of Ni in there, but:

Spot on, basically. I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    it's general S.
    Nahhhh. As an SLE, I'd adapt. Probably. I sometimes experience this phenomenon, but it's only a niggling annoyance; nothing serious. And I really don't see how a Delta ST would get annoyed, given their openness to Ne.

It would run like:

IEE: sorry, it's turned out totally different!
    LSE: I did not plan this.
    IEE: hey, there are many possibilities, remember? There is not one path.
    LSE: very true. I love you now.
    (LSI: FUCK YOU, BITCH. I AM OFF MY PATH. MY PLAN IS FUCKING RUINED.)

I don't know if it's so much about plans falling through per se. It's more like he gets excited about the idea in his mind and when it doesn't happen the way he pictures, he has difficulty getting past it.
    Yeah, it's Ne devaluing.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEE: sorry, it's turned out totally different!
    LSE: I did not plan this.
    IEE: hey, there are many possibilities, remember? There is not one path.
    LSE: very true. I love you now.
    (LSI: FUCK YOU, BITCH. I AM OFF MY PATH. MY PLAN IS FUCKING RUINED.)

Yeah, it's Ne devaluing.
    Hmm...

Creepy-male

Yeah, it's Ne devaluing.
    I'm not sure. When I get really super-stressed, "imagination" turns into "planning".

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    I'm not sure. When I get really super-stressed, "imagination" turns into "planning".
    Yes, but are your plans always open to being changed? At the last minute? With little warning? That's the part LSIs don't like.

OK so there's this LSI I know, she runs in the same mom crowd as I run in. And a bunch of us talked about how we'd meet at the library with our kids once a week, but after a while it was usually just her and her daughter and me and my daughter. So she asked me if I would be there the next week, and I said, "I plan to", which to me means that at that moment I plan to but my plans might change. And my plans changed and I wasn't there the next week and she got pissed off.

And there's this LSI librarian I was volunteering for, and she would set up a really rigid schedule for us, and it bugged me because I was just a volunteer and I don't think, as a volunteer, I should have to conform to a rigid schedule. And I had to do something else one week when I was supposed to be there, and she got pissy and gave me a list of people I could call to find a substitute.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fwiw I do that, and I'm Ne valuing. I manage to get over it, but it's irritating. However, I do think about what could happen beforehand, so it's more of me getting surprised that I didn't predict that possible outcome. I want to say that Ij's are like this, considering that they like "charting the course."

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Example 2: they make plans to do something special with a significant other, plans fall through due to poor scheduling, they become irreversably disappointed ("the night is ruined"), proceeds to act cold and unresponsive
    My LSI friend used to be just like this. I mean, he also grew up and got over it, but he used to do things like that. I can sympathize. I hate it when a good plan falls apart.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S as in Sensor? or as in Shit?
    sensing.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but are your plans always open to being changed? At the last minute? With little warning? That's the part LSIs don't like.
    Yeah, Coolanzon, and that's why you supervise them. You can deal with it. You'd be the annoying little Alpha who tells the LSI "lighten up mate, as if it matters..." and they'd rip your head off in a fit of fury. It would bring true meaning to the supervisor being "surprised by the recipient's sensitivity and [not knowing] what to do about it".

OK so there's this LSI I know, she runs in the same mom crowd as I run in. And a bunch of us talked about how we'd meet at the library with our kids once a week, but after a while it was usually just her and her daughter and me and my daughter. So she asked me if I would be there the next week, and I said, "I plan to", which to me means that at that moment I plan to but my plans might change. And my plans changed and I wasn't there the next week and she got pissed off.

And there's this LSI librarian I was volunteering for, and she would set up a really rigid schedule for us, and it bugged me because I was just a volunteer and I don't think, as a volunteer, I should have to conform to a rigid schedule. And I had to do something else one week when I was supposed to be there, and she got pissy and gave me a list of people I could call to find a substitute.
    Did you tell any of them in advance, or just not turn up?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I told the librarian in advance. I didn't tell the other mom at the library, because it was never a scheduled type thing, it was something where people just kind of showed up. And when I said, "I plan to be there" I didn't know she'd take that as that I would for sure be there.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And when I said, "I plan to be there" I didn't know she'd take that as that I would for sure be there.
    Speaking for my father (IEI) and myself, we would've taken that to be surety as well. Must be a non-Ne vs. Ne thing.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking for my father (IEI) and myself, we would've taken that to be surety as well. Must be a non-Ne vs. Ne thing.
    No it's not, I do that all the time if someone tells me that they will do something. It takes a little bit of a cynical attitude to know that people usually don't follow through in long term planning.

EDIT: Well, maybe Ne valuing has some effect too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. If I commit to a specific time, date, and location, I will move heaven and Earth, but If I say "probably," or "planning to..." Kiss me good bye because I probably won't be there. That seem so clear to me.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but If I say "probably," or "planning to..." Kiss me good bye because I probably won't be there. That seem so clear to me.
    ...actually... I'm that way too. Maybe it's 'cause I grew up with an IEE mom (who, for the record, is late for things so often that there's a whole tradition of family jokes about it. On the other hand, if she says she'll be there, she almost always shows up... eventually.)
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    Yeah. If I commit to a specific time, date, and location, I will move heaven and Earth, but If I say "probably," or "planning to..." Kiss me good bye because I probably won't be there. That seem so clear to me.
    I can relate to this. And when I say things like "probably" or "planning to..." I will try to and might actually make it, since I usually mean what I say and say what I mean word for word. So if I say "I'm planning to" then I'm really planning to, which doesn't mean that my plans won't change etc... but I do try to be consistent and act in accordance to what I say. Most often though, my words reflect my present thoughts and feelings rather than my actions (or long term decisions) which I mostly try to avoid talking about anyways.
    Last edited by Park; 10-20-2009 at 12:25 AM.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, and I really was planning to go when I talked to her, but I purposely said, "I plan to" instead of "Yes I will be there" because I knew that my plans could possibly change and I didn't want to promise.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, and I really was planning to go when I talked to her, but I purposely said, "I plan to" instead of "Yes I will be there" because I knew that my plans could possibly change and I didn't want to promise.
    Well the distinction is perfectly clear to me, so I don't get why someone would misread that.

Creepy-male

Well the distinction is perfectly clear, so I don't get why someone would misread that.
    Different assumptions.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different assumptions.
    How about "don't make any fucking assumptions"? and just fucking hear the words I say?

(...ugh, I HATE assumptions...)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sister (EII) always calls me the morning of anything to see if I'm still planning to do something. And at that point, if I say I'm planning to go and I can't, I do call, because a plan the day of is more set than a plan a week before. But this library thing was a week before, and really anything can happen in a week. I can be pretty sure about something like a doctor's appointment, but a storytime at the library? I'm not promising about that.

Funny how both issues involved libraries.
    -Mark Twain

Creepy-male

How about "don't make any fucking assumptions"? and just fucking hear the words I say?

(...ugh, I HATE assumptions...)
    I don't think that's possible. Everyone has this set of implicit understandings in their head that colour any and all incoming information.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It's hard for me to imagine a SLI getting stroppy in the case of Example 1 - I tend to think that if they were doing a personal project like that, they would have ironed out all the potential problems before had and got everything exactly as they wanted it. Of course I suppose a LSI would be the exact same way - I just see LSIs as more likely to throw a strop at the end of everything if it doesn't work out.

eh, Example 1 reminded me of the time and patience that Lewis Hamilton puts into knowing his Formula 1 car inside out, so that he's basically one with the machine - I think perhaps a LSI would be more detached from that process... so if a screw comes slightly loose, they might not notice or it might not seem like a part of them that needs dealing with...and if that inattention leads to everything falling apart, then naturaly, they would be extremely pissed and maybe not quite know why.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(room decorating fail)
    Example 1: I can see a SLI being disappointed if this happened -- like let's say the paint they bought didn't shine the way it was suppose to, etc. But they'd probably then focus on a solution to that problem and correct whatever wasn't "working."

(changed/cancelled plans)
    Example 2:I think there are situations where an SLI would care -- let's say they planned a trip to the best ski slope ever and want to use their new ski gear stuff. But they don't get to do that and have to stay home. They would definitely be bummed. But if it was a regular night, then think of something else fun to do. Unless the poor planning meant not getting together at all, in which case I'm sure they would also be sad).

My ENFp friend and I were just talking about this and we're actually both planners, in that we want to have at least the basics decided. Especially dates. We just want a time and a place to meet up, and then are open to doing whatever.

Though I'd prefer to keep things less set in stone, I am very clear about what I'm committing to and what I'm not. Most of my friends are super organized so I don't say I'm going to something and then bail (as that pisses people off and I don't think I'd have many friends doing that). If I'm not 100 percent, I'll say that I'm not sure if I can go yet and will let them know by whatever day. Or I might even say I'm likely not going, but may end up there if xyz happens. I just like people to have an expectation set so they aren't dissapointed.

Now, after I show up at the specified time/place, then I don't really care if the plan changes, or what specifically happens. If I'm hanging out w/ someone and we had plans to get lunch at one place, and it's closed, who cares. Or if we end up doing something different, whatever -- so long as other people weren't expecting us to go to something.'

I don't think this has much to do with functions or socionics but more with how you're raised (as far as planning) and the expectations of the people in your life.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that's possible. Everyone has this set of implicit understandings in their head that colour any and all incoming information.
    Fuck OFF, supervisor!!!

j/k

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    It's hard for me to imagine a SLI getting stroppy in the case of Example 1 - I tend to think that if they were doing a personal project like that, they would have ironed out all the potential problems before had and got everything exactly as they wanted it. Of course I suppose a LSI would be the exact same way - I just see LSIs as more likely to throw a strop at the end of everything if it doesn't work out.

eh, Example 1 reminded me of the time and patience that Lewis Hamilton puts into knowing his Formula 1 car inside out, so that he's basically one with the machine - I think perhaps a LSI would be more detached from that process... so if a screw comes slightly loose, they might not notice or it might not seem like a part of them that needs dealing with...and if that inattention leads to everything falling apart, then naturaly, they would be extremely pissed and maybe not quite know why.
    Yeah, that makes sense.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that makes sense.
    How far can you "throw a strop?"
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    How far can you "throw a strop?"
    A couple of yards.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of those situations would bother me more than .1 seconds.