Thread: not getting that it's a joke

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default not getting that it's a joke

Or, more often, getting it but still responding as if it was said in seriousness. Is this a Te ego thing?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Or, more often, getting it but still responding as if it was said in seriousness. Is this a Te ego thing?
    If so, I am highly guilty of it as well. It's a nice way of turning the joke around on the other person.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're messing with them though, then you're playing into the joke... you're just turning it around on them. I'm talking about something like... An SLE I know told me to check out his "new tattoo". It was something some girl had drawn on his hand. I said it if it was a real and done that day, it would be all red around it. And if it was recent it would have a scab. He was like, "It's a joke."
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do the second a bit, but I usually make it pretty clear that I know what's up.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I do this too, just for the sake of arguement cause in all reality there is a lot of truth in humor, so if I respond seriously don't get offended. I don't laugh easily, I have to be in the right mood for humor.

Creepy-male

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!

see what I did there?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just reminds me of extremely serious and dull people, whoever they may be. I am one of these people. Probably a lot of Gamma NTs.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I dated an LSI, it took her quite some time to notice I am joking or not, even when I would say something absurd she would sometimes say "Really??? Can't be!!!", . Eventually she learned to notice my jokes though.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's something about Fe and "reading between the lines" that Expat posted a while ago that explains somewhere in the thread how being Te/Fi valuing might confirm some form of this sort of "not getting that it's a joke" and having to ask if one is serious as if they think it so, and still treating the situation seriously even when it is a joke. I'm good at telling these sort of jokes where I am being unserious and telling people a fallacy, and my ENTp friend and my dad are able to see through it just like that, but if it were turned on me, I would be confused. When turned on me I would also be more likely to see it as funny when all things were cleared up, and those guys would view it as stupid and not even treat it as a joke in the first place, probably because those certain jokes of mine are pretty pretend-serious, and they don't see the humor in such carefully plotted zaniness. Not even the same thing! My ENTp friend finds every day idiotic things hilarious, but then when I go all out on a crazy fallacy, he dislikes it and calls it stupid. So there you have a difference in types of stupid in humor. I don't have their humor.
    Expat's thread: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-question.html

Creepy-male

At first glance I would say "not getting that its a joke" is a matter of weak facility.

types should be able to pick up the humor from the person seemingly natural and with ease.

Other types may be disconnected from this and struggle to zone in on it.

This is different than ones taste in humor though... even if an type gets that a person is telling a joke, they may choose not to laugh because its not their taste in humor. Either that or the type may find it offensive or sad and react to it with animosity. But regardless governs the awareness that a person is joking, not nessicarly that the person finds it funny.

Now for non- types. Sometimes their is developed enough to realize that a person is joking, but they may choose to not respond to it emotionally - being more focused on their base function by choice. Also I think its unrealistic to say non- types lack a sense of humor. Anyone can develop a strong sense of humor by exposure to comedies/stand up/etc for entertainment. The process of being exposed to comedy will heighten your taste for humor no matter what type you are; the only difference is types will pick up on the emotional expressivity of the comedian a bit stronger than non - types.

So in short I think the only role plays in this is the ability to pick up that a person is joking. Function can't however determine what your taste in humour is, and it can't determine how developed your sense of humour is, and it can't determine if a person laughs at another persons joke. I think taste in humour is ultimately a matter of a person's unique character and not type (although type can play a minor effect in ones taste... Ti/Te tends to be drier or wittier.... and Fi/Fe tends to be more outrageous and slapstick); in the same way type can't tell you who likes chicken and who likes beef. I think how developed a person's sense of humor is a matter of how much comedy they've been exposed to, and not type (though leading Fe types will "get" the comedy faster than other types).

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do this. I'm pretty comfortable with responding to anything that can possibly be taken as serious as serious, because if it isn't serious, then I'm just continuing the joke.

This doesn't work when others start taking it as a nasty piece of misinformation though...

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno, I almost always get the joke. Not 100% of the time, but probably 95% of the time.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The SLE I mentioned won't get the joke if you say it in a totally deadpan way. An LIE I know tricks him like this. However, if he knows it's a joke, he'll play along with it. I guess I usually don't. Even when I know it is a joke I'll respond seriously. I can tell the SLE thinks I'm too serious and doesn't understand why I don't play along with jokes.

I do this to Peter too, actually. He's say "what if..." and inserts some really crazy thing, and I'll respond with what would actually happen if that DID happen. He thinks my responses to his jokes are funny though.
    SEE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do this to Peter too, actually. He's say "what if..." and inserts some really crazy thing, and I'll respond with what would actually happen if that DID happen. He thinks my responses to his jokes are funny though.
    I think that can be funny too, actually.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he thinks it's funny that I don't usually act like I think it's funny... even if I actually do. (I guess that's a way of playing along even if I'm not actually playing along, lol.)
    SEE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he thinks it's funny that I don't usually act like I think it's funny... even if I actually do. (I guess that's a way of playing along even if I'm not actually playing along, lol.)
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very anti-joke when it comes to serious things or matters of business. Sometimes I am just not interested or such things have no impact on me, and people wonder why I don't respond favorably to them. I wonder why people aren't focusing on doing the job at hand.

But outside of stuff like that, it depends on how aware of facts, the context, and the person's humor style. Sometimes it happens to me, sure. But it happens to F types as well, if you make a joke about something ethical that they care about or something they think hurts someone else's feelings, etc.

It depends on the joke.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm horrible at getting jokes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually I don't get jokes from the serious types. Actually Fi types can say some really upsetting things to me and when I have a bad reaction, they just say "it's a joke" and expect that to work like an "undo" button, so I just give them a blank stare. Te jokes usually fall flat. I usually know they meant it as a joke, but I had no reason to laugh.
    The saddest ESFj

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know INFj-Ne who usually reacts that way. There's also this one ISFj who usually responds as if it was said in seriousness, but, as opposed to INFj, he doesn't get it. The same goes for ISFp.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're messing with them though, then you're playing into the joke... you're just turning it around on them. I'm talking about something like... An SLE I know told me to check out his "new tattoo". It was something some girl had drawn on his hand. I said it if it was a real and done that day, it would be all red around it. And if it was recent it would have a scab. He was like, "It's a joke."

joy you're such an LIE. you didn't get that was a joke?

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If I like the joke, I laugh. If I don't, I logically explain why it's stupid.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm horrible at getting jokes
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only type of humor that I really don't get is the one where you just lie about something which can be true (this one actually bothers me). Other than that, I can pretty much tell when someone is joking or not, since I don't take people that seriously.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think it may depend somewhat on the relationship between the joke teller and the recipient. I'm more likely to get jokes from those in my quadra, than those outside of it, for example.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    joy you're such an LIE. you didn't get that was a joke?
    I knew he wasn't actually trying to convince anyone that it was a real tattoo. I don't know why I responded the way I did. He was obviously looking for "hey, cool tat!" or something.
    SEE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew he wasn't actually trying to convince anyone that it was a real tattoo. I don't know why I responded the way I did. He was obviously looking for "hey, cool tat!" or something.
    lol. he prolly just wanted you to laugh, no? like, you idiot, nice "tatoo"?!

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm great at getting jokes, but horrible at telling them (probably because I don't pay attention to the details, so as soon as I begin, I realize I don't remember most of it afterall).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe of an Fe devaluing thing?

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NSFW

Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    lol. he prolly just wanted you to laugh, no? like, you idiot, nice "tatoo"?!
    idk... definitely something other than how I responded though
    SEE

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed this on both sides. First, the Logical type will be too literal and think someone is serious when they're joking.

I've also seen logical types attempt a joke and be taken completely seriously since the way they are saying it sounds so dry and matter-of-fact.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes it happens to me because my Ni goes a bit wonky and thinks it was something totally different than what it actually was.

Actually.. this happened yesterday
    It was during outdoor climbing and I was on top of the rock ledge and cautiously leaning forward to see down to the base of the rock. The person I'm with tells me to go forward so I can get a better view and it sounded so matter of fact and reasonable LOL so i did it.

TIM
    LII/INTj-N
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always get when something's a joke, but my responses can be semi-joke, semi-serious, confusing people into thinking that I didn't get it, which then frustrates me because they didn't realize I was half joking.