Thread: I'm throwing myself in the well

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I'm throwing myself in the well

A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well, and his guide says, "On any day except Tuesday, you can shout any question down that well, and you'll be told the answer." The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down: "Why not on Tuesday?" The voice from in the well shouts back: "Because, on Tuesday, it's your day in the well."
    I'm not going to make a long intro.

If you want to get to know me, ask me questions, and I'll answer them.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post

Do you seek happiness?
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    Do you seek happiness?
    I do. Whether or not I feel like I'm going about it the right way is another story.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do. Whether or not I feel like I'm going about it the right way is another story.
    Sounds like a good story.... What would give you long-term happiness?
    ISTp
    SLI

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think people around you (as in real life) know who you are?
    Do you know who you are?
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I know what to ask you?
    The saddest ESFj

Creepy-male

is stuffed crust pizza better than normal?

is deep dish better than regular?

Is BBQ chicken pizza an invention from the gods or an abasement for all that pizza stand for?

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    Sounds like a good story.... What would give you long-term happiness?
    I've been thinking about how to answer this question for the past several hours. The short answer is I don't really know, or I don't feel like I've been made aware of what it is. The things I commonly hear as responses to this question, for instance, a wife, a family, a good paying and secure job, some answer involving a lot of money, living life to the max with no regrets, etc., are things that don't really... captivate me. In other words, they don't push me or motivate me or intrigue me, otherwise I would be pursuing something along those lines.

My life at this point can either be viewed as some sort of sleepwalk where I'm just sort of finding my way through each day with minimal risks and minimal catalyzation dabbling in a little of this and a little of that but never feeling completely immersed or completely enthralled with what I choose to do, or it can be viewed as some sort of weird contentment where I'm able to sustain myself but in a very ... inefficient and/or unhealthy way. Because of that, I'm finding it difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is that will grant me long-term happiness.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Why is my mouse pad wrinkled?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmall View Post
    Do you think people around you (as in real life) know who you are?
    The people that I interact with on a day to day basis, I would say no. Something minor that constantly happens, and granted is a part of life and something that I just have to live with, is recognizing when someone is casting me in a way that I don't feel is representative of who I am. Like, as one example, when people make assumptions about what I do in my spare time or how I live or the things that interest me based on an association (the kind of work that I do, some performance that I do, etc). I mean, granted, it's not as severe and single-minded as that. People learn who I am over time, and in a few cases rather adequately. But, in a huge majority of the people I know, I feel like I've only been able to get through or been able to talk about only bits and pieces of who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmall View Post
    Do you know who you are?
    I would say that I feel reasonably sure of who I am and the kind of person that I am.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep View Post
    How do I know what to ask you?
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    is stuffed crust pizza better than normal?

is deep dish better than regular?

Is BBQ chicken pizza an invention from the gods or an abasement for all that pizza stand for?
    I like both stuffed crust and normal crust pizza. Stuffed crust pizza sort of feels like a luxury to me though (mainly because of the extra cost), so I tend to choose normal crust pizza if I order it.

I like both deep dish and regular crust rather equally actually.

BBQ chicken pizza is fine. So is buffalo chicken pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Why is my mouse pad wrinkled?
    If I had to speculate I would say either because of overuse, or because the material the mousepad is made out of lends itself to being creased or wrinkled. Like those really flimsy almost plastic-like mousepads that can crease when you fold them. That might be why.

Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post
    I have no burning, existential question, but, I am curious:

If I recall correctly, you hold a degree in electrical engineering. What prompted you to choose this field of study? Thinking back to the time you made the choice, was there any other field of study or career you would have preferred to undertake?
    When I was considering what to major in when I was turning in applications for college, my original plan was to go as a Computer Science major. The driving factor in that was for a couple of reasons. My interest in computers and some success that I had had at academic meets in Computer Science in high school. It seemed like something I would enjoy.

There was a bit of administrative confusion on my part in the application process for UT because for some reason my understanding was that UT did not accept Computer Science majors as freshmen. I didn't really think it through or get more information about why (because of the obvious gap of reasoning -- why don't they accept CS majors as freshmen if there are lots of CS majors going to UT?), because if I had followed the trail, I would have surely been told that UT had a Pre-CS program that freshmen and I think sophomores had to do before "declaring" as a CS major. But, because I didn't think it through, my decision was to declare as a different major.

I chose electrical engineering for a couple of reasons. My interest in computers, and because I was always strong in math and science through elementary school and high school. I remember when I was in 3rd grade and someone had asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. So I asked "What jobs to people that are good in math and science do?" And someone told me engineers do, so I said "Ok, I want to be an engineer." Remembering that helped as well.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Creepy-male

I've been thinking about how to answer this question for the past several hours. The short answer is I don't really know, or I don't feel like I've been made aware of what it is.
    Growing as a person so you can best serve your fellow human beings and improve their quality of life? Important connections and friendships?

Well, I know what makes me happy; but as a side-effect of putting the time in to figure that out, I lack any ability to leverage it. As it stands, it looks like I'll be taking the slow train to my lifestyle of choice.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thinking about how to answer this question for the past several hours. The short answer is I don't really know, or I don't feel like I've been made aware of what it is. The things I commonly hear as responses to this question, for instance, a wife, a family, a good paying and secure job, some answer involving a lot of money, living life to the max with no regrets, etc., are things that don't really... captivate me. In other words, they don't push me or motivate me or intrigue me, otherwise I would be pursuing something along those lines.

My life at this point can either be viewed as some sort of sleepwalk where I'm just sort of finding my way through each day with minimal risks and minimal catalyzation dabbling in a little of this and a little of that but never feeling completely immersed or completely enthralled with what I choose to do, or it can be viewed as some sort of weird contentment where I'm able to sustain myself but in a very ... inefficient and/or unhealthy way. Because of that, I'm finding it difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is that will grant me long-term happiness.
    I can relate to this! It's an SLI habit to remain dormant until motivated. We have a good tolerance for this, but you may be needing a catalyst to get you out of your rut. That usually means, sad to say...people.
    ISTp
    SLI

Creepy-female

Hello tereg. I didn't know where to ask this, so I'll put it to you:

Why is a google spider viewing the caffeine thread?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The key to happiness is really the same for everybody.

The key for happiness is simple, live fully and don't have any expectations. Then things can surprise you. Don't get your hopes up about anything, or 'strive toward' anything. Just whatever you do, keep any projection or idealization out of it. (Lots and lots and lots of meditation really helps with this.) This goes for being unnecessarily negative as well. You will realize some of your darker impulses this way but that's okay. That you're not the perfect little delta humanitarian that you thought you were, that although you had good ideas, your primary motivations are mostly violent and sexual.

Also do not overwork yourself or extend yourself too much, but more importantly, learn how to delay your gratification. It makes you feel grateful and appreciative. It sounds like you're not so mad at having to work and get a normal job, you're upset that you are mind controlled to be a consumer with your hard work, but you don't really have to cave into that. Buying things is just a band-aid for everlasting happiness. It's better to use your money go travel or improve a skill.

You can have a piercing insight. You can see things exactly as they are 24/7. You don't have to go through your life with a fuzzy brain. You don't have to be so wishy washy, so teeter-tottery. It isn't hard. It just takes a lot of concentrated effort.

It's also important not to engage in absolutist thinking. Have many things to try out, not just one thing. The mind thinks it finds itself in a vacuum or 'one pure experience' however that's not true, the ego is the shadow eclipse to find out what you're good at. But you can't find it, it's like do you find light and holiness looking directly at the sun? You'd just go blind.

I feel sheepish, as I know you already know this. But it seemed like you were a little down, so I hope I could help.

You ever have one of those days where you worked hard, didn't see the point but then when you got up the next morning you were all blissful, and renewed? It sounds like maybe that's what you need to experience more. Get yourself out of the rut, etc. You don't need an actual job or a purpose or somebody telling you what to do either, because then you'd just get ornery and upset at them and feel like they are controlling you.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Happiness is just happiness.... maybe you just want to sulk instead. What's so bad about that?

Chances are the harder you work the more you will look around and you will still see that life isn't exactly the way you want it.... the time don't seem to ever fit the crime.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    The key to happiness is really the same for everybody.

The key for happiness is simple, live fully and don't have any expectations. Then things can surprise you. Don't get your hopes up about anything, or 'strive toward' anything. Just whatever you do, keep any projection or idealization out of it. (Lots and lots and lots of meditation really helps with this.) This goes for being unnecessarily negative as well. You will realize some of your darker impulses this way but that's okay. That you're not the perfect little delta humanitarian that you thought you were, that although you had good ideas, your primary motivations are mostly violent and sexual.

Also do not overwork yourself or extend yourself too much, but more importantly, learn how to delay your gratification. It makes you feel grateful and appreciative. It sounds like you're not so mad at having to work and get a normal job, you're upset that you are mind controlled to be a consumer with your hard work, but you don't really have to cave into that. Buying things is just a band-aid for everlasting happiness. It's better to use your money go travel or improve a skill.

You can have a piercing insight. You can see things exactly as they are 24/7. You don't have to go through your life with a fuzzy brain. You don't have to be so wishy washy, so teeter-tottery. It isn't hard. It just takes a lot of concentrated effort.

It's also important not to engage in absolutist thinking. Have many things to try out, not just one thing. The mind thinks it finds itself in a vacuum or 'one pure experience' however that's not true, the ego is the shadow eclipse to find out what you're good at. But you can't find it, it's like do you find light and holiness looking directly at the sun? You'd just go blind.

I feel sheepish, as I know you already know this. But it seemed like you were a little down, so I hope I could help.

You ever have one of those days where you worked hard, didn't see the point but then when you got up the next morning you were all blissful, and renewed? It sounds like maybe that's what you need to experience more. Get yourself out of the rut, etc. You don't need an actual job or a purpose or somebody telling you what to do either, because then you'd just get ornery and upset at them and feel like they are controlling you.
    Excellent writing B & D.
    ISTp
    SLI

Creepy-Cyclops

There's a co-worker who I find somewhat attractive, should I see if she'll let me have sex with her?

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Hello tereg. I didn't know where to ask this, so I'll put it to you:

Why is a google spider viewing the caffeine thread?
    I will use this page to answer the question

HowStuffWorks "How Internet Search Engines Work"

Before a search engine can tell you where a file or document is, it must be found. To find information on the hundreds of millions of Web pages that exist, a search engine employs special software robots, called spiders, to build lists of the words found on Web sites. When a spider is building its lists, the process is called Web crawling. (There are some disadvantages to calling part of the Internet the World Wide Web -- a large set of arachnid-centric names for tools is one of them.) In order to build and maintain a useful list of words, a search engine's spiders have to look at a lot of pages. How does any spider start its travels over the Web? The usual starting points are lists of heavily used servers and very popular pages. The spider will begin with a popular site, indexing the words on its pages and following every link found within the site. In this way, the spidering system quickly begins to travel, spreading out across the most widely used portions of the Web.

"Spiders" take a Web page's content and create key search words that enable online users to find pages they're looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    There's a co-worker who I find somewhat attractive, should I see if she'll let me have sex with her?
    As long as you are thinking with your brain and not your penis, then you should be just fine.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Creepy-Cyclops

As long as you are thinking with your brain and not your penis, then you should be just fine.
    Good advice, this is why I decide to hesitate on the side of caution for now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We would need to know her name and address to answer this correctly.
    ISTp
    SLI

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth to you Tereg. I get the sense that you are an important person in the scheme of things (not a vibe often sensed by ST types). Don't give up. You just haven't found your purpose yet. when you do, I see greatness in you.
    ISTp
    SLI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well, and his guide says, "On any day except Tuesday, you can shout any question down that well, and you'll be told the answer." The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down: "Why not on Tuesday?" The voice from in the well shouts back: "Because, on Tuesday, it's your day in the well."
    haha, thats so funny!

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so you're eii now.
    how's that typing working for you?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you have self image problems and how often do you masturbate?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't shit where you eat d00d

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&D, once again, I love what you've written in this thread. I need to copy and paste it into my brain.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    so you're eii now.
    how's that typing working for you?
    The typing seems fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratXII View Post
    do you have self image problems and how often do you masturbate?
    First question yes, second question who cares.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The typing seems fine to me.

First question yes,
    Yup, you must be EII