Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Law & Order: CI

So I was watching Law & Order: Criminal Intent last night, I watched like...5 episodes. Anybody ever seen that show?

Anyways I really liked it, I was surprised. There was this one bitch that was evil like named Leslie Lazard. The episode is called 'Smile.' Anyway I wish you could see that exact episode cause that's who I want you to type....she was so stereotypical evil but also in a kind of surprising way.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    So I was watching Law & Order: Criminal Intent last night, I watched like...5 episodes. Anybody ever seen that show?

Anyways I really liked it, I was surprised. There was this one bitch that was evil like named Leslie Lazard. The episode is called 'Smile.' Anyway I wish you could see that exact episode cause that's who I want you to type....she was so stereotypical evil but also in a kind of surprising way.
    i don't know much aobut typings on the show cause i don't know who plays on it currently, however whenever i watched the show i always thought it had cool plots but the resolution was always gotten to in a dumb way, like the guy just suddenly peers into someone's soul, and knowing every fact about everything that has ever existed he solves the crime. very much like sherlock holmes stories but with a character who uses telepathy rather than logical deductions.
    asd

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah I agree Goren's insight is on the unrealistic side. But it's tv, so I think the emotional effect is more important than complete factual accuracy which would probably bore me.

This is also to attract a wider variety of audience to. Maybe some feel that it's 'dumbing down the show' to attract more viewers. I don't know how I feel yet, I like hearing about the detectives personal lives, to an extent- but it seems like lately most of the stories focus on them and not the people they are supposed to be saving. It was a criticism I had of Buffy, it was just about the personal fuck-ups of her friends and it got to feel draining.

Creepy-bg

I avoided these shows for the longest time but from time to time I'd pass through the room while my mom was watching and eventually got interested enough to watch them myself. It's a good show imo and I enjoy watching it. But on the downside, the non-regular actors (perps, witnesses, family, etc... all the people on the "trail" for that week) are hit and miss. Sometimes they're pretty good and convincing, sometimes they suck. When they suck it can get in the way of following along the trail with the detectives because their shitty acting is giving you the wrong signals (twitchiness, obviously telling a story that isn't real, and just being unbelievable to various degrees). Another thing that can get in the way of being able to immerse yourself in the story is that the writers can go over the top in their portrayals of stereotypical low lifes and segments of society. (I saw one recently that dealt with a rap superstar, his character totally felt like it was written by the moms at the local PTA or something).

I get what you guys are saying about Goren's magical insites and random deep knowledge about whatever the area of the crime is in. However I take that as just part of the character. He's a bit like Mulder from X-files in that way. A geek. At least they do sometimes show him at his desk sinking into some book etc to research or brush up on things he needs to know. My favorite part about his character (and what makes him the reason really that I enjoy watching it) is his skill at getting into peoples heads. He probes them with body language, invading their space, mirroring their state of mind, and antogonizing them in subtle ways in order to crack the surface of their story. That also leads to him sometimes putting himself into positions where he's identifying with the perps and having honest compassion for them (beyond good-cop/bad-cop play drama) sometimes even to the point of manipulating the interogations/admissions of guilt in ways that force the DA's into having to give pleas or less harsh sentences.

I like that from that angle, their tactics, the role of the detectives is more realistic to my experience of how police work. They don't just ask questions and have "fluffy" straight up interogations that ask the same questions over and over until somebody cracks. They stage things and fuck with people, they lie and manipulate, they play loose with what they have and don't have in order to draw out evidence and confessions that make a case.

Also, Detective Eames is cute. She's got that kind of frumpy thing going along with an understated confidence and hard-assness. In the immortal words of Cracka, I'd hit that.
    Last edited by bg; 10-07-2009 at 09:06 AM.

The man with the plan MasterfulMischief's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This show is my favorite example of IEE-SLI duality (Goren and Eames).

Good show, however the seasons without Goren are not worth watching.