Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Motivation

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Motivation

    What keeps you motivated?

    Intrinsic motivation

    Laziness

    External motivation

    A typhoon hits your country, everyone is helping out, but you're too lazy to do the same. Why? You are not motivated. Don't you care about those people? You do, of course. But apparently that's not enough to get you going.

    Everyone is helping out. Why is it so easy for them to decide to do so and actually do it? Why do you get tired just thinking about it?

    Holy shit I am evil and I deserve to die.

    I'm just throwing some words out there. Discuss.

  2. #2
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have poor motivation and I claim this to be the fault of Introversm.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Having a goal is what keeps me motivated.

  4. #4
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matilda View Post
    What keeps you motivated?

    Intrinsic motivation

    Laziness

    External motivation

    A typhoon hits your country, everyone is helping out, but you're too lazy to do the same. Why? You are not motivated. Don't you care about those people? You do, of course. But apparently that's not enough to get you going.

    Everyone is helping out. Why is it so easy for them to decide to do so and actually do it? Why do you get tired just thinking about it?

    Holy shit I am evil and I deserve to die.

    I'm just throwing some words out there. Discuss.
    Fear....

    generally speaking, I actually want to make something of my life because I fear I'll die and the opportunity for enjoying life will pass me by.

    and in specific..... I always jump into action when I feel their is a sense of urgency that is rooted in fear... but otherwise I just lay around being lazy.

    If a typhoon hit a country, I probably wouldn't put too much effort into helping the people unless I was worked as a rescuer then I'd jump into action out of concern that my failure to act would cost others their lifes. Usually I just ignore donating or volutineering because I don't feel a sense of urgency that if I don't act people will die, if I did, I'd probably be more likely to volunteer than donate.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xkj220 View Post
    Having a goal is what keeps me motivated.
    Are you an extrovert, by any chance? The thing is, I have goals too. Damn

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I have poor motivation and I claim this to be the fault of Introversm.
    Could it be Ni? Or just plain introversion?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    Fear....

    generally speaking, I actually want to make something of my life because I fear I'll die and the opportunity for enjoying life will pass me by.

    and in specific..... I always jump into action when I feel their is a sense of urgency that is rooted in fear... but otherwise I just lay around being lazy.

    If a typhoon hit a country, I probably wouldn't put too much effort into helping the people unless I was worked as a rescuer then I'd jump into action out of concern that my failure to act would cost others their lifes. Usually I just ignore donating or volutineering because I don't feel a sense of urgency that if I don't act people will die, if I did, I'd probably be more likely to volunteer than donate.
    Yes.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matilda View Post
    Are you an extrovert, by any chance? The thing is, I have goals too. Damn
    I guess I could be called that under socionics' definition of extroversion, but I'm not very gregarious, really. Having goals is good because it keeps you busy. Do you feel like you have to be busy in order to be motivated?

  8. #8
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xkj220 View Post
    Having a goal is what keeps me motivated.
    very true.

    in a mental sense this works incredibly as also in a physical sense, like running / exercising.

    I guess having a goal and having motivation is very strongly correlated.

  9. #9
    Marie84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    TIM
    EII
    Posts
    2,359
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Endless possibilities and that good things and experiences can occur
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xkj220 View Post
    Do you feel like you have to be busy in order to be motivated?
    thinking about it now, having goals = pressure. this translates to either or .

    On the other hand, the act of getting my shit together and actually doing stuff (being busy), yes, this does get me motivated.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd also add: people's opinions of me. More specifically, people I don't know that well/people I want to impress.

  12. #12
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Motivation feels like it comes and goes to me... It feels like it's out of my control for the most part because when it's not there I don't know how to get it and I feel stuck in some stagnant pool. When it comes back I don't want to stop it because I'm afraid it will leave again, and I don't know how long it will be away.

    With general things in life, I use time as a motivator... or rather the fear of consequences if I don't get something done by a particular time. If I'm really undermotivated though, not even that is a strong enough motivator. I've also found that interest/curiosity and desire can be motivators, but I often don't know what I want and that's what I'm trying to determine.

    I think that I would be really motivated if a typhoon hit somewhere where I was and I was okay. That happening would be so huge it would probably motivate me for a while (I'm not sure how long a while is), but crises in general (in the past) have motivated me quite effectively because something is actually happening. Also, I would hope that were I injured in such a situation that someone would help me because I don't want to die... and I would help others for the same reason, because I can and it needs to be done, and I wouldn't want to leave them to die in the way that I wouldn't want to leave myself to die. Maybe the motivator there is that I perceive something as "needing to be done" and I know that I being uninjured am capable of at least doing something and I feel that I would make good decisions about what to do (or not do). Maybe I would see it as a problem that needs to be solved. I don't know.

    PS. I know what it's like to have absolutely no motivation and I don't think that makes one a "bad person" or anything like that.

  13. #13
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Motivation feels like it comes and goes to me... It feels like it's out of my control for the most part because when it's not there I don't know how to get it and I feel stuck in some stagnant pool. When it comes back I don't want to stop it because I'm afraid it will leave again, and I don't know how long it will be away.

    With general things in life, I use time as a motivator... or rather the fear of consequences if I don't get something done by a particular time. If I'm really undermotivated though, not even that is a strong enough motivator. I've also found that interest/curiosity and desire can be motivators, but I often don't know what I want and that's what I'm trying to determine.
    this is so me.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  14. #14
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  15. #15
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Uhm, I think happiness keeps me motivated. If I know that an activity will make me happier, or if I think that an activity might make me happier, I'll do it.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  16. #16
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Uhm, I think happiness keeps me motivated. If I know that an activity will make me happier, or if I think that an activity might make me happier, I'll do it.
    Yes, sounds like Freuds 'pleasure principle'

  17. #17
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    If everybody is helping out, then you don't need to either. 'Working hard' and 'productivity' is overrated. If you are not....emotionally lined up with whatever you're doing, then it's not a good idea, and in the long run you probably are damaging things. It's like working at a power plant that pollutes the earth. In society's eyes, you have a job so you are 'Okay', but in the long scheme of things you are contributing to something that is destructive to the whole. You can't make people better or good, they have to want it for themselves.

    Some people are wired to think the world is fine, and that you just have to suck it up and perform what everybody else is doing, others are wired to see the world as something that needs changing. I personally am of the latter. *shrug* Some people see the systems from the outside-in rather from the inside-out, if you catch my drift.

    Are you really guilty or are you only guilty because you think you should feel guilty (way to mentally play with yourself there), but you do not? I sense you don't *really care.*

  18. #18
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Don't you care about those people?
    No, I don't care about those people. Just like they don't care about me. If, everybody in Malaysia was bombed right now -- I wouldn't give a shit. Because I don't personally know anybody in that country, I could care less- now if one of my good friends whom I was very close to died, then yes I would care, a great deal.

    I don't mean to preach/nag/whatever, but it seems to go without saying, right?

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You basically said what I've been wanting to say. i think i love you..

  20. #20
    sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matilda View Post
    What keeps you motivated?

    Intrinsic motivation

    Laziness

    External motivation
    Intrinsic motivation is the only motivation that work well on long term.

    Dan Pink on the surprising science of motivation | Video on TED.com
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

    I chose Love

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    Intrinsic motivation is the only motivation that work well on long term.

    Dan Pink on the surprising science of motivation | Video on TED.com
    I agree. A question: would you say that intrinsic motivation seldom yields external/practical rewards?

  22. #22
    sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matilda View Post
    I agree. A question: would you say that intrinsic motivation seldom yields external/practical rewards?
    Far from it! Intrinsic motivation yields results.
    Now, let's consider this simple idea: The amount of rewards in this life is in direct proportion with the amount of service that you put out. Intrinsic motivation yields more service, if this is the goal of a person, and automatically more rewards.
    Service can produce 2 types of rewards:
    - internal, eternal, the type that cannot be taken away from you
    - external, temporary, the type that can easily be lost at the turn of the tide.

    With proper attention, you can get both types of rewards.
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

    I chose Love

  23. #23
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    As far as humans are concerned, it's really all an inside/internal job.... internal thoughts always lead to real places no matter what...

  24. #24
    crazedrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    moon
    Posts
    4,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    generally, i can either be drawn to do something out of desire or coerced into doing something out of fear of loss.
    INTp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •