TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default ......

edited for gayness
    Last edited by The Exception; 07-21-2010 at 04:42 PM.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evanovich should burn in hell along with James Patterson, Tom Clancy, Nora Roberts, Clive Cussler, et al. for shaming modern literature will their unimaginative, meaningless bullshit.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Evanovich should burn in hell along with James Patterson, Tom Clancy, Nora Roberts, Clive Cussler, et al. for shaming modern literature will their unimaginative, meaningless bullshit.
    Seriously, dude, is the internet's anonymity going to your head, or did your mother just never teach you any manners?

I'm afraid I haven't read the series, Ms Librarian, or I would offer my respectful and polite opinions, even if I didn't care for the story.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Going thru the books and her characters in wikipedia, she will be in all probablity be a forgettable author of successful pulp.

She's no Dashiell Hammett for sure.

With her first 15 sentences off this excerpt, she's already assured the likelihood of litary obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane
    When I was a kid I was afraid of spiders and
    vegetables. As an adult I’ve eliminated vegetables from
    my fright-o-meter, but I’ve added a whole bunch of
    other stuff. Homicidal maniacs, serial rapists, cellulite,
    Joe Morelli’s Grandma Bella, rabid bats and any form of
    organized exercise. Fortunately there are also good things
    in those shadows. Joe Morelli without his Grandma
    Bella, fellow bounty hunter Ranger without his clothes,
    my crazy family, my hamster Rex …and Lula. Lula
    actually fits somewhere between the rabid bats and the
    good stuff. She’s a former ‘ho, now working as the
    office file clerk and apprentice bounty hunter.
    Going thru some excerpts terms such as "fright-o-meter", serial rapist, cellulite, "stuff", "'ho". She pulls her works from the canvas of local news, reality tv and comfortable familiarity.

Writing in first person is a diffucult task and she fails at it, she tells not shows. It's easy to understand pulpy garbage, it sells. It's a noir for girls. But how worthy a work is it literary-wise? It fails from the begining and will survive no more then the context and cliches she so easily put out to capture the readers attention. Stephanie is still a 'ho, still selling the window dressing and cheap thrills.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashiell Hammett
    Samuel Spade's jaw was long and bony, his chin a jutting v under the more flexible v of his mouth. His nostrils curved back to make another, smaller, v. His yellow-grey eyes were horizontal. The v motif was picked up again by thickish brows rising outward from twin creases above a hooked nose, and his pale brown hair grew down-- from high flat temples--in a point on his forehead. He looked rather pleasantly like a blond satan.

He said to Effie Perine: 'Yes, sweetheart?"

She was a lanky sunburned girl whose tan dress of thin woolen stuff clung to her with an effect of dampness. Her eyes were brown and playful in a shiny boyish face. She finished shutting the door behind her, leaned against it, and said: "There's a girl wants to see you. Her name's Wonderly."

"A customer?"

"I guess so. You'll want to see her anyway: she's a knockout."

"Shoo her in, darling," said Spade. "Shoo her in."

Effie Perine opened the door again, following it back into the outer office, standing with a hand on the knob while saying: "Will you come in, Miss Wonderly?"
    As far as introduction goes, compared to Mr. Hammett her failure is miserable. It's not worthwhile to pick up every pulp novel with a sassy lead chewing up some scenary. As a former writer of romance novels, Ms. Evanovic is certain to know her audience. Lonely powerless females who need a bit of something in their life, painkiller by words, narcotic fiction. It sells in quantity to the effect it generates, a vague sense of empowerment, euphoria, bliss in medocrity. "Take a hit, it's good for you.." the story said. And the bitches snort it up like white powder, smug in their consumption.
    Last edited by mu4; 10-02-2009 at 07:35 AM.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, you guys sure do have an irrational dislike of an author whose books you've never read...

Seriously though, what point exactly are you trying to make? That warrior-librarian is somehow wrong to like Evanovich's work? What, did you major in "pretentious snobbery" in college?
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    Wow, you guys sure do have an irrational dislike of an author whose books you've never read...

Seriously though, what point exactly are you trying to make? That warrior-librarian is somehow wrong to like Evanovich's work? What, did you major in "pretentious snobbery" in college?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior-Librarian
    I read to be entertained, plain and simple. What's so wrong about that? Not everything I read has to always be profound, not everything I read has to be lifechanging or result in some major paradigm shift. Why should I have to feel guilty for that? That's not to say I don't read things considered more 'literary'. I do, but I'm not going to pick something up just because it's 'literary' any more that I'm going to pick something up that's more 'popular'. I choose the books I read based on the premise or themes. If they sound interesting, I read it. If not, I don't. Popularity is irrelevant.

I love her series because I like mysteries in general, especially those with some humor mixed in and there is a lot of humor in these books. Well, to me anyway. Many of the characters are rather eccentric but still likeable. This is another reason why I enjoy the series. And I do think she does a good job of narrating in first person, it makes me identify with the main character more. Again this is a matter of personal taste.
    I obviously did read her book, enough to form a initial opinion. I had problems going further then page 10.

I read Wikipedia to cut to the chase and see if her work bears out the opinion and I think my initial impression is substantiated.

I like drinking a bit of whiskey and some pulp too but my tastes have become more discerning. And as far as "pretentious snobbery", I wasn't comparing her to Norman Mailer or such other such esteemed figure of high literature. Dashiell Hammett is a crime writer, a pulp writer, a writer for entertainment as well.

Her work is what it is.. She knows it. I respect her honesty.

If you want to cry, you're not going to like my books,'' she says briskly. ''If you want a really good plot, you're not going to like my plots. My books have pizza and cussing and sexy guys.'' Evanovich, 63, can't recall the last time she herself read a literary novel
    As for anyone who wants to knock her focus on the middlebrow reader, forget it. Janet Evanovich doesn't have time for such pretensions. She's found her formula and damn if she'll stray. ''I don't want to go beyond their comfort zone,'' she says of her readers. ''I'm their feel-good read.'
    I cultivate within myself a love for pulp, cheap narcotics, amongst other vices like a pristine cup of coffee. But what she said, "I don't want to go beyond their comfort zone..." How telling! Even she doesn't think much of her readers.