Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Feeling protective towards ones supervisee

I was wondering mainly how people feel about their supervisees, which I know is a really general question, and has probably already been covered. But what I was mostly wondering is if it would actually be typical to not go the way of somehow despising your supervisee because their PoLR is your lead function and they ignore all of your input, but instead valuing them because you agree that their lead function is terribly important (just not quite as important as they seem to treat it as, but close enough), and then feel protective of them regarding their "weakness" (your leading IME) and able to accept that it just isn't a strength and they don't value it (and that's okay) because you do feel "aligned" with them in a subtle sense regarding your creative function. And then perhaps the people who not only disregard your leading function but don't share any quadra values with you end up becoming the greater "annoyance" when you have to be in close quarters with them because you can find no common ground whatsoever, where as with your supervisee you at least know you can rely on them to address and cover half of your quadra values... so then why feel that different about them than you would of your business relation, just with the exception that they suck at and devalue your leading IME even more than your business partner who at least can sort of address it as a great pain in the ass in their existance. (though of course the temperament clash would apply with the supervisee)

(forgive the free use of IME/function as though they're interchangeable and the same thing... hopefully you know what I mean)

I think that I've been thinking it would make more sense to feel protective of the supervisee (and then become the "benevolent leader" who tries to bestow their wisdom upon the supervisee, something that the supervisee may find endlessly annoying). But I realize this all depends on context, and I have not given one.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Oh sure, I often feel protective toward my supervisee. I like SEIs, but how can anyone function properly without a somewhat decent ?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I think that I've been thinking it would make more sense to feel protective of the supervisee (and then become the "benevolent leader" who tries to bestow their wisdom upon the supervisee, something that the supervisee may find endlessly annoying). But I realize this all depends on context, and I have not given one.
    this is the problem, over time. I love my supervisee but he's become so unhappy with me because he feels that I'm condescending and know-it-all, and now his unhappiness is having a huge effect on our relationship. I'd be fine if he weren't so prickly about it all the time. It really does effect the supervisee more than the supervisor but this becomes a problem for both of them. The supervisor just doesn't understand why the supervisee becomes so dissatisfied and grumpy and then starts to appear pathetic to the supervisor. I have seen it more than once, in several marriges. But again, there's nothing about him that really bothers ME, only the fact that I bother him. Which starts to bother me. If that makes sense.

(and there are endless circular conversations in these relationships. things never get worked out, never can you reach understanding or agreement...)
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one I'm closest to is my little brother, who has gotten himself into some terrible jams in his life, so yes but it isn't necessarily Socionics-related in my case.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    The one I'm closest to is my little brother, who has gotten himself into some terrible jams in his life, so yes but it isn't necessarily Socionics-related in my case.
    My closest supervisee is my younger brother too. It's partially family-related, but my youngest brother is an SLE, and I'm not protective of him any more than he's protective of me.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think in general supervisors like and connect with their supervisee. The only time supervisors start to despise their supervisee is when they finally push them over the edge and the supervisee begins to act out. So, the supervisor feels like the supervisee is attacking them for no reason.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    I think in general supervisors like and connect with their supervisee. The only time supervisors start to despise their supervisee is when they finally push them over the edge and the supervisee begins to act out. So, the supervisor feels like the supervisee is attacking them for no reason.
    yes, exactly.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post

yes. agree w this. i've watched myself do this w infj and i've seen istj do this w me a million times. for a while there, i had a lot of istj friends and at one point, my work supervisor was an istj.

in fact, this dynamic worsens over time and becomes entrenched and people can start to have lasting resentments. for someone else watching, it's bewildering.

to me, there are just certain relationships that can only go but so far. supervision is one where the supervisee has to set some clear boundaries, but even that doesn't work since the supervisor can't really help it since it's their leading function.

it's kind of a drag, really. that some relationships don't work out no matter how hard you try.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often