Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 79

Thread: Which types are the most detail oriented?

  1. #1
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Which types are the most detail oriented?

    The types that want to know the most detail and information, and the types that are good with all the detail. I know in MBTI the people who love detail and information are the SJs, so I'm wondering if there is a correlation, or is it all independent?

  2. #2
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,626
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I believe xSTJs are the most detail oriented (ST+process). Next, IMO, there's the xNTp (NT+process).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  3. #3
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Getting detail work done seems very Te, so SLI, LSE, LIE, ILI. Knowing small details seems more ambiguous to me, but may be associated with Te as well. I wouldn't expect detail-orientedness out of an ENTp (and ISTj, maybe), but I could be wrong on that score.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  4. #4
    Trevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,860
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    LIEs are everything but detail oriented.

  5. #5
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am very detail oriented and extremely attentive to accuracy and precision.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  6. #6
    constant change electric sheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,296
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    poli, I had a hard time reading your post because of your avatar. It's quite disturbing, tbh.

    My old LSI roommate arranged everything in the kitchen to 90 degree angles, cleaned everything, and had a spotless room. I have never seen a more detail oriented person. He reveled in it.

    However, my LSI dad was a complete slob. He was aware of the details, but he would just get mad about them, and ignore them. There were more important things to worry about.
    The saddest ESFj

    ...

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ENFps I think are pretty bad at detail. I can force myself for period of time, followed shortly thereafter by my brain exploding. I remember taking a proofreading test for a job once and thinking "omg this is boring" looking out the window for a bit, and then hurrying through it, forgetting that would be the majority of that job! lol. And it was only a paragraph long test.

    ISFps can be pretty detail oriented and like it if it's something that interests them.

    INTjs appear detail oriented, yet often miss important things because of their Ne distracting them. So they seem anal, yet may forget an important thing like an address.

    Actually, ENFjs do a good job of focusing on details. Being a "stickler" about them.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

  8. #8
    Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Canada's Prairie Farmland
    TIM
    C-LII
    Posts
    2,647
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Could this be correlated with the process/result dichotomy? If process types are detail-oriented, that would be ILE, SEI, EIE, LSI, SEE, ILI, LSE, and EII who are detail-oriented. This would match up well with what FDG, tuturututu, and jewels have said.
    Quaero Veritas.

  9. #9
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fear of sleep View Post
    poli, I had a hard time reading your post because of your avatar. It's quite disturbing, tbh.
    Why?

  10. #10
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,626
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    Could this be correlated with the process/result dichotomy? If process types are detail-oriented, that would be ILE, SEI, EIE, LSI, SEE, ILI, LSE, and EII who are detail-oriented. This would match up well with what FDG, tuturututu, and jewels have said.
    Yeah, but there's also the ST-NT-NF-SF part. Sensing and Thinking are more detail-oriented than Intuition and Feeling. So ST-process are the most detai-oriented, while NF-result the least? It could make sense.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  11. #11
    constant change electric sheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,296
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There's just this complete and utter look of despair. I can't stand it.
    The saddest ESFj

    ...

  12. #12
    Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Canada's Prairie Farmland
    TIM
    C-LII
    Posts
    2,647
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah, but there's also the ST-NT-NF-SF part. Sensing and Thinking are more detail-oriented than Intuition and Feeling. So ST-process are the most detai-oriented, while NF-result the least? It could make sense.
    That does make sense. It also matches up well with what jewels was saying about details causing her ENFp brain to explode.

    I love it when theories are backed up with empirical evidence!

    Also, I agree with fear of sleep. polikujm, your avatar is creepy as hell.
    Quaero Veritas.

  13. #13
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fear of sleep View Post
    There's just this complete and utter look of despair. I can't stand it.
    It just looks that way. It mentions this in a few of my type's descriptions. I think one of them is on wikisocion.

    Wikisocion Male
    The distinguishing feature of the face of an ILI male are the clever, sad eyes, complete of hopeless skepticism, frequently surrounded by shadows.
    Socionics.com
    Their eyes have a sorrowful look about them as if they are about to be victimised in some way.
    There are more somewhere. Yeah, I always get people asking me why I'm sad or depressed when I go out.

  14. #14
    Currently God Brilliand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    4,246
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here's an outlier under the "ST=detail-oriented" hypothesis...

    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    Actually, ENFjs do a good job of focusing on details. Being a "stickler" about them.



    LII-Ne

    "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

    Johari

  15. #15
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't think this is all that type related but I would have to say that sensing types are simply more detail-orientated than intuitive types.

  16. #16
    without the nose Cyrano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,021
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    I am very detail oriented and extremely attentive to accuracy and precision.
    Interesting WP. As a fellow SLI (ISTp) I'm NOT very detail oriented, can't spell, and am content with a fair amount of imprecision in my world. To me, the STjs and the NTjs seem to be the ones who sweat the details.

    I work in Government contracting, where most everyone loves to nit-pick details in paperwork. Very little independent thought or action here. Very risk-averse. I struggle with lots of IxTj types here as they wonder why I don't appreciate consistency, regulation, and a well defined process.

    As you know, we SLIs are about getting to the end, and finding the easiest path to get there. How do you reconcile that with a need for accuracy and precision?
    ISTp
    SLI

    Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

  17. #17
    without the nose Cyrano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,021
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    ENFps I think are pretty bad at detail. I can force myself for period of time, followed shortly thereafter by my brain exploding. I remember taking a proofreading test for a job once and thinking "omg this is boring" looking out the window for a bit, and then hurrying through it, forgetting that would be the majority of that job! lol. And it was only a paragraph long test.

    HA! You guys are great. It's like you stuck in Bizzaro world, trying to get by.
    The world needs the ENFP!
    ISTp
    SLI

    Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

  18. #18
    without the nose Cyrano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,021
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I don't think this is all that type related but I would have to say that sensing types are simply more detail-orientated than intuitive types.
    I dunno B&D, I know an INTj who is the master of detail. Not with everything, but there are his things, that have to be just-so to the nTH degree. His hand writting is ultra precise, he reads and retains every detail in everything he reads. He can name the directors, producers, and actors for most any movie or TV show that he sees. Amazing capacity to remember little crap I wouldn't even register in my pea brain.
    ISTp
    SLI

    Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

  19. #19
    Trevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,860
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah, but there's also the ST-NT-NF-SF part. Sensing and Thinking are more detail-oriented than Intuition and Feeling. So ST-process are the most detai-oriented, while NF-result the least? It could make sense.
    It should also be noted that S is more detail-oriented than T, therefore SF-process shouldn't be that far from ST-process regarding detail-orientedness. I can see this in SEIs, they're very detail-oriented. But what shall we do with ESFps? When it comes to physical detail-orientedness they're miles away from ISFps, though, mentaly speaking, they are detail oriented, they want to know the most detail and information. Another dichotomy probably plays a role as well. Which one??

  20. #20
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ISTj

    I know a couple of them and they are all preoccupied with details.
    OCPD is frequent among those types.

  21. #21
    07490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    there
    Posts
    3,047
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    ENFps I think are pretty bad at detail. I can force myself for period of time, followed shortly thereafter by my brain exploding. I remember taking a proofreading test for a job once and thinking "omg this is boring" looking out the window for a bit, and then hurrying through it, forgetting that would be the majority of that job! lol. And it was only a paragraph long test.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socionics.com ENFp description
    ENFps pay the least attention possible to details. This is often interpreted by others as superficiality. This peculiarity enables ENFps to swallow lots of information without chewing it. After taking the cream from the surface of one sphere of interests ENFps can become bored and start looking for different interests. They often change their interests. Wherever ENFps go they have a characteristic ability to create a circle of friends and acquaintances and be at the centre of attention. They respect and preserve the opinions of the circle, taking an active part in defending and promoting them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I don't think this is all that type related but I would have to say that sensing types are simply more detail-orientated than intuitive types.
    There are a lot of things that has been said on this forum about something related to a type, hence why a lot of people will said "It is not type related", but this has to be, it affects directly how we see the world and how we swallow information or take in information from reality.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

    2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

  22. #22
    without the nose Cyrano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,021
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 07490 View Post
    There are a lot of things that has been said on this forum about something related to a type, hence why a lot of people will said "It is not type related", but this has to be, it affects directly how we see the world and how we swallow information or take in information from reality.
    I agree Numbers. I think it's the IxTj s that are the detail focused ones. The S types may notice things, but it takes the j to force the issue.
    ISTp
    SLI

    Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

  23. #23
    Darn Socks Director Abbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    6,724
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I believe xSTJs are the most detail oriented
    I believe ESXjs are the most detail-oriented. Or at least the most OCD.

    ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

    Johari Nohari

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

  24. #24
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    I believe ESXjs are the most detail-oriented. Or at least the most OCD.
    There's a little nuance here I think... The ESTj's, are indeed very perfectionistic, but they know how to separate the main thing from the unimportant things. And that's where the ISTj is bad at, they are stubbornly preoccupied with every detail there is, also the unimportant ones.

  25. #25
    without the nose Cyrano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,021
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    There's a little nuance here I think... The ESTj's, are indeed very perfectionistic, but they know how to separate the main thing from the unimportant things. And that's where the ISTj is bad at, they are stubbornly preoccupied with every detail there is, also the unimportant ones.
    Is it simply the xxTj combination that makes one detail oriented?
    ISTp
    SLI

    Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

  26. #26
    Trevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,860
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    Is it simply the xxTj combination that makes one detail oriented?
    It isn't.

  27. #27
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    There's a little nuance here I think... The ESTj's, are indeed very perfectionistic, but they know how to separate the main thing from the unimportant things. And that's where the ISTj is bad at, they are stubbornly preoccupied with every detail there is, also the unimportant ones.
    Forgive me for putting it like this, but this statement angers me in it's inaccuracy. It's as if you've never met an ISTj or properly identified one. ISTjs' prioritization skills are top of the line. It's their main focus in life. The way they end up with the "systems" they are so well known for is by rejecting things that are not important to their goals and keeping around things that are. To say an ISTj is a bad prioritizer is like calling the sun black. It is true that they obsess with details on a certain level, but they are not nearly as bad at it as the ESTjs or even some INTps are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano
    I work in Government contracting, where most everyone loves to nit-pick details in paperwork. Very little independent thought or action here. Very risk-averse. I struggle with lots of IxTj types here as they wonder why I don't appreciate consistency, regulation, and a well defined process.
    Do you realize that one out of the two IxTj types, the INTj, is commonly described as a typically independent thinker?

  28. #28
    Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Canada's Prairie Farmland
    TIM
    C-LII
    Posts
    2,647
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Here's an outlier under the "ST=detail-oriented" hypothesis...
    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    Actually, ENFjs do a good job of focusing on details. Being a "stickler" about them.
    Yes, that's why I theorize the primary division between detail-oriented and not-detail-oriented is process and result. ST/NF would be a second-order sorting method.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    Interesting WP. As a fellow SLI (ISTp) I'm NOT very detail oriented, can't spell, and am content with a fair amount of imprecision in my world. To me, the STjs and the NTjs seem to be the ones who sweat the details.

    I work in Government contracting, where most everyone loves to nit-pick details in paperwork. Very little independent thought or action here. Very risk-averse. I struggle with lots of IxTj types here as they wonder why I don't appreciate consistency, regulation, and a well defined process.

    As you know, we SLIs are about getting to the end, and finding the easiest path to get there. How do you reconcile that with a need for accuracy and precision?
    Makes sense, as SLIs are result-oriented. Their focus is "overall end result" first, then "details" if necessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    I dunno B&D, I know an INTj who is the master of detail. Not with everything, but there are his things, that have to be just-so to the nTH degree. His hand writting is ultra precise, he reads and retains every detail in everything he reads. He can name the directors, producers, and actors for most any movie or TV show that he sees. Amazing capacity to remember little crap I wouldn't even register in my pea brain.
    This is the only thing that doesn't seem to fit the process/result correlation to detail-orientation. There are LIIs and other process types who do appear detail-oriented. On the other hand, I'm an LII and I'm not particularly detail-oriented. I focus mainly on the big picture, dealing with details only when necessary to support or disprove an element of the big picture.

    If I were to rank the types according to this "process+ST" hypothesis, it would be something roughly like this:

    LSI, LSE, ILE, ILI, SEE, SEI, EIE, EII ... SLI, SLE, LIE, LII, ESE, ESI, IEI, IEE.
    Quaero Veritas.

  29. #29
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ISTjs are typically focussed on a set of details they have chosen to be more important than others. There is a focus on specifics, but the attention of the person is still on the significance of things. ISTjs will not acknowledge a fact just because it is there. S/he must have some personal relation to it for it to be noticed by them.

    Te types will acknowledge details and facts for their own sake. In this sense they are a lot more detail oriented than Ti types.

  30. #30
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,626
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    I believe ESXjs are the most detail-oriented. Or at least the most OCD.
    Well, don't you agree that ISTjs are more detail-oriented than ESFjs?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  31. #31
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm voting for LSI. Though maybe it depends on the type of detail. Like to me, when I hear that phrase "detail oriented" I think of unnecessary details and steps that are part of elaborate lists and systems. Maybe someone else thinks of different kinds of details when they hear those words.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  32. #32
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Forgive me for putting it like this, but this statement angers me in it's inaccuracy. It's as if you've never met an ISTj or properly identified one. ISTjs' prioritization skills are top of the line. It's their main focus in life. The way they end up with the "systems" they are so well known for is by rejecting things that are not important to their goals and keeping around things that are. To say an ISTj is a bad prioritizer is like calling the sun black. It is true that they obsess with details on a certain level, but they are not nearly as bad at it as the ESTjs or even some INTps are.
    Ah I see, yes they do a lot of prioritizing, but I guess it's my own viewpoint that makes me think they are prioritizing everything the wrong way.

    E.g.
    3 ISTj colleagues of mine, were obsessed of having every detail about a client registrated in the computers, their social security numbers etc, which we never use. Therefor I was often thinking, why so obsessed with those unnecessary details. Better prioritize your time to finding new customers which bring in some new money.

  33. #33
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    They prioritize well according to their own point of view, but I sit there wondering why it has to be a black felt-tip pen, and why a blue ball-point pen or a black ball-point pen or a blue felt-tip pen, or any other pen within arm's reach, wouldn't do, and why I have to search for a black felt-tip pen in order to even START the lengthy process in front of me. Step 1. You must use a black felt-tip pen. Step two. Write in all capital letters. Etc. Details. Obviously they've prioritized them carefully or it wouldn't be so important to them, but that doesn't mean the details are necessary. It's a matter of opinion.

    I asked the LSI above why it had to be a black felt tip pen, and she was annoyed by my asking and didn't actually answer, so I stopped asking those types of questions. After some time working with her, I came to the conclusion that it is her opinion that the photocopier is much more delicate than it is, and that it only picks up black felt-tip pen ink. Which it does not. But I was afraid to use a different kind of pen anyway.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  34. #34
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Depends on the types of details. To some, rational types would seem most "detail oriented". To some, IxTx types. Personally I think of IJ types as the most detail oriented.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  35. #35
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ah I see, yes they do a lot of prioritizing, but I guess it's my own viewpoint that makes me think they are prioritizing everything the wrong way.

    E.g.
    3 ISTj colleagues of mine, were obsessed of having every detail about a client registrated in the computers, their social security numbers etc, which we never use. Therefor I was often thinking, why so obsessed with those unnecessary details. Better prioritize your time to finding new customers which bring in some new money.
    Ok, that makes sense. Sorry for lashing out there.

    An ISTj's priorities do tend to be ideosyncratic. In that sense, an ISTj may care about details that are important to him/her but not to others.

  36. #36
    without the nose Cyrano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,021
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post

    Do you realize that one out of the two IxTj types, the INTj, is commonly described as a typically independent thinker?
    YES! 100% independent. But, my experience is that the INTj has an obsessive compulsive tendency. He focuses intently on the object of his interest. Has to be his choice, but once committed he's 100% focused.
    Last edited by Cyrano; 09-23-2009 at 10:13 PM.
    ISTp
    SLI

    Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

  37. #37
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I know some INTjs who are pretty perfectionistic and detail-oriented. ISTjs also. And I found myself nodding to Jewels' entire post.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  38. #38
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I tend to see "detail-oriented" as a complicated matter in that I don't know which detail-orientation is being referred to. For instance, the art teacher who is very visually detail-oriented who can spot every minute detail easily in every piece they see and has a photographic memory and remembers each piece of work in acute detail... or the person who remembers endless trivia factoids and is detail-oriented in that sense... or the person who can easily spend all day editing documents and notice every single small error and doesn't get burnt out doing this... or the person who always spouts irrelevant details (i.e. every piece of information they know, heard that slightly relates to the topic) for minutes on end,... or... I see it as very different depending on what is meant by "detail oriented."

  39. #39
    without the nose Cyrano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,021
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    Yes, that's why I theorize the primary division between detail-oriented and not-detail-oriented is process and result. ST/NF would be a second-order sorting method.



    Makes sense, as SLIs are result-oriented. Their focus is "overall end result" first, then "details" if necessary.



    This is the only thing that doesn't seem to fit the process/result correlation to detail-orientation. There are LIIs and other process types who do appear detail-oriented. On the other hand, I'm an LII and I'm not particularly detail-oriented. I focus mainly on the big picture, dealing with details only when necessary to support or disprove an element of the big picture.

    If I were to rank the types according to this "process+ST" hypothesis, it would be something roughly like this:

    LSI, LSE, ILE, ILI, SEE, SEI, EIE, EII ... SLI, SLE, LIE, LII, ESE, ESI, IEI, IEE.
    My ISTj friend has an amazing grasp of big-picture, long-range, time-spanning concepts. Despite that, he can get transfixed by small things that hold his interest as if some defining moment happened in his life that makes him forever latch onto some detail that he can never release. What a paradox!
    ISTp
    SLI

    Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

  40. #40
    Darn Socks Director Abbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    6,724
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Well, don't you agree that ISTjs are more detail-oriented than ESFjs?
    I only know one ISTj (though I know of more), and that's not enough to go on.

    ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

    Johari Nohari

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •