Thread: When someone disagrees w you

Creepy-

Default When someone disagrees with you....

When you find out that someone disagrees w you on a topic that is important to you [religion, politics, something else....], how do you react [in your mind and/or outwardly]?

Does it bother you that they disagree?

Do you become intrigued by their different perspective?

Do you see them/their stance as "wrong"?

Do you try to convince them of the legitimacy of your stance over theirs?

Something else?

Why?

EDIT: I realized after I made this thread that I already asked pretty much the same question here.
    Last edited by female; 09-23-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoapOfSapphire View Post
    When you find out that someone disagrees w you on a topic that is important to you [religion, politics, something else....], how do you react [in your mind and/or outwardly]?

Does it bother you that they disagree?

Do you become intrigued by their different perspective?

Do you see them/their stance as "wrong"?

Why??
    This one. I do not like the idea of somehow forcing my opinion down someone else's. I would much rather get a sense for what that different perspective entails, the inner essence, the twists and turns, and the basic elements of the perspective. I would prefer to discover why they hold that perspective.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on how strongly I believe it. Some things I assume they're wrong and then try to find out why they believe as they do. If I'm in a really good mood, I try to find out what's right in their view so that I can modify my view accordingly. But on some things I have to confess that I just think that others are wrong, and I'll definitely start/have/continue an argument over them (for example, the terribleness of Tyler Perry's writing in comparison to his cultural importance. To me, one doesn't excuse the other, at least not completely). It doesn't really bother me that they disagree though, if they disagree for good reasons (which I suppose are a little subjective), or even reasons at all, as opposed to misinformation. But most things (even religion/politics that many people would fight about), I accept as a different viewpoint that probably has something right in it too, and as something interesting to talk about or argue (arguing isn't always bad).
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoapOfSapphire View Post
    That's what I do. I usually stay away from religion, because that's ended badly in the past (although I sometimes try with militant atheists). I don't care much about politics so I don't argue about that. If it's something logical, and they're obviously wrong, I'll argue tirelessly - logical inconsistencies upset me and I view them as "important to me". If it's an emotional problem, I tend to listen then try to suggest reasons why they should change their perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.