Thread: Te or Ti?

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Te or Ti?

Not wanting to give out information that may make someone come to the "wrong" conclusion. E.g. "I'm a certain type and this is why" - *presents a bunch of information that fits perfectly with being that type*. As opposed to the approach of not wanting to unwittingly bias a person towards one opinion or another - presenting everything, related or no.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you can dichotomize Te and Ti in that kind of way exactly. Er, I guess just that the situation you describe is too vague so that there could be a lot of reasons either Te or Ti valuers would want to make solid cases or want the other person to be able to do their own mental footwork.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

types might have preconceived notions of what type they are and try to present their case in a way that guides everyone's conclusion to their own... or they might be aware of this tendency and purposely go against it, giving any and all information that may or may not be related, but I think they would still have that preconceived notion.

or maybe that's everyone, and not just types. I'm not really sure
    The saddest ESFj

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely unrelated to type. I value Ti strongly and I've used both approaches; I've even convinced people here that I was a different person and unloaded volumes of unadulterated personal information just to see what someone else might think.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request
    Last edited by Pied Piper; 09-18-2009 at 06:11 AM.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To de-vaguerise things.. I meant like someone who feels pretty sure about their type, but insecure about their logic. Maybe they feel unable to explain why exactly. They only present the information that looks to point directly to the type they've chosen, so there's no picking apart of their reasons and whatnot.

Thanks for replies. (c:

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    How did you reach the conclusion this depends on Logic and not other IE?
    Excellent question! lol I don't know - it seemed to make sense.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    To de-vaguerise things.. I meant like someone who feels pretty sure about their type, but insecure about their logic. Maybe they feel unable to explain why exactly. They only present the information that looks to point directly to the type they've chosen, so there's no picking apart of their reasons and whatnot.

Thanks for replies. (c:
    As you describe it here... the unexplainable conclusion would be an Internal element. LIIs could do this, in which case I figure it would be justifying ... we may deliberately allow for the opposing case (as fear of sleep noted), though, if we aren't for some reason scared of getting a conclusion other than the one that we expect.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    As you describe it here... the unexplainable conclusion would be an Internal element. LIIs could do this, in which case I figure it would be justifying ... we may deliberately allow for the opposing case (as fear of sleep noted), though, if we aren't for some reason scared of getting a conclusion other than the one that we expect.
    But why would a leading logical type be scared of an opposing theory?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not wanting to give out information that may make someone come to the "wrong" conclusion. E.g. "I'm a certain type and this is why" - *presents a bunch of information that fits perfectly with being that type*. As opposed to the approach of not wanting to unwittingly bias a person towards one opinion or another - presenting everything, related or no.
    I think it could be related to either... Intuitively, I would think that the first approach is more in line with Ti, and the second with Te - giving a chain of logic vs. presenting purely factual information, but this doesn't have to be the case. I also believe that there are a lot of misconceptions about what Te and Ti are. (Under some people's conceptions, I appear neither Te nor Ti valuing!)

Jason

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just observing types is enough to say .

is strict, it's conclusion has as direct cause the hypothesis and direct correlations, they don't depend on arbitrary factors like "what's it worth?", "what next?", "will it be of use?", "could this harm my procedure?", etc, because it's Static.
    is also Extroverted and everything depends on a context, it can't detach from it, from specific (given) situations.

Edit: @Rubicon: btw, nice observation! How did you reach the conclusion this depends on Logic and not other IE?
    Cool avatar. How would you type him?

Jason

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously (if you've seen the movie) Alpha NT . The same with Waltz.

I find traits specific to both ILE and LII in the character, I can't decide between them.

Edit: actually I recommend the character for the study of Ti combined with Ne.
    I'm still thinking about your reply to my other post, but as for the movie, I think this character was also Ti ego (On the right.):

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3317860608/tt0361748

Jason

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously (if you've seen the movie) Alpha NT . The same with Waltz.

I find traits specific to both ILE and LII in the character, I can't decide between them.

Edit: actually I recommend the character for the study of Ti combined with Ne.
    I also found that character very interesting.
    The end is nigh

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not wanting to give out information that may make someone come to the "wrong" conclusion. E.g. "I'm a certain type and this is why" - *presents a bunch of information that fits perfectly with being that type*.
    This is steering towards a goal, I'd say it was Se vs my below comment but I don't think this is accurate. Perhaps this is declaring while the second is asking?

As opposed to the approach of not wanting to unwittingly bias a person towards one opinion or another - presenting everything, related or no.
    This side seems more Ne to me, keeping the options open and letting the other party decide. Possibly Ne with Ti.

I personally give people ALL the information, regardless of whether it will hurt my case (even when I know for certain it WILL, actually).
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But why would a leading logical type be scared of an opposing theory?
    Maybe we like to think we understand ourselves. Sometimes small errors in thinking can seem like cracks in a submarine. It's not a healthy behavior, let that be clear.
    The saddest ESFj

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe not in theory, I mean we can't theoretically connect the logics with this dichotomy Rubicon talks about. But what about practice, typed people? Don't you find this separation in real people?

I think we both agree that, taking the ideal case - Dual relationships, the Ti convince Fe types directly, but Te (on Fi) does it with a lot of what Ti's find "useless explanations" for the reason of not being misunderstood. Fe's are not even patient to listen all that and take it with skepticism as bullshit or evasion, because it doesn't come from direct ("obvious") causes.
    I agree with you, but my comment was more of an aside; I do think that Rubicon's notions can be related to Te and Ti, and it is not her views on this matter that I dispute.

Jason
    Last edited by jason_m; 09-19-2009 at 08:53 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes! But I find him Beta Ti, specifically SLE. What was your thought?
    (I don't like his face, possibly because he looks like M. Schumacher, but this is irrelevant, the character is played greatly)
    I loved him, but I thought LSI. He seemed extremely rational and calculated in his approach. I usually find SLEs to be more unpredictable.

Btw, what do you say about his play after Hicox showed the sign, up to few seconds after the barman served Scotch. Brilli-brilli-brilliant!! I don't think words can ever explain.
    I was smiling on the inside as soon as he went and sat down with them (), because I could tell right away that if there was anyone in that bar who could see through their charade, it was him.

Jason
    Last edited by jason_m; 09-19-2009 at 08:53 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@jason_m: to easily differentiate Landa between Alpha and Beta Ti, I find this reference the best:
    - assigning his actions to 3rd party causes like "my job dictates that...", not so much his merit. It simply "happened" he was the best for the job.
    - explaining his reasoning to reach the only, without doubt, conclusion: all the consequences result from impersonal causes in the whole situation, unlike their emphasizing their personal involvement (as Beta ST).
    - always giving choice, as long as his clear goal is reached, never trying to "crush" the resistance.
    - he always tries to justify his reasons to the opposition: "what would you do?" or "wouldn't you agree?"
    I have to think about this...

Jason

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm almost tempted to see this as a or issue depending on context and the provider's agenda.

If someone close to me was struggling with spirituality, I would try to frame my knowledge and experience in a way that was as comprehensive and unbiased as possible, regardless of my personal views.

If I'm in a debate with some religious jackass, I'm going to be selective in what information I bring to the table. And, if such an exchange is public, I'm going to try to effect a certain mood that hurts my opponent's position.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    I'm almost tempted to see this as a or issue depending on context and the provider's agenda.

If someone close to me was struggling with spirituality, I would try to frame my knowledge and experience in a way that was as comprehensive and unbiased as possible, regardless of my personal views.

If I'm in a debate with some religious jackass, I'm going to be selective in what information I bring to the table. And, if such an exchange is public, I'm going to try to effect a certain mood that hurts my opponent's position.
    Fe\Fi - that's interesting.. What do you mean by effecting a certain mood?

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Banana Pancakes View Post
    I personally give people ALL the information, regardless of whether it will hurt my case (even when I know for certain it WILL, actually).
    Yeah, I like the idea of that .. but can't say I always do that myself. :\

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not wanting to give out information that may make someone come to the "wrong" conclusion.
    Typical Accepting Ti (INTj, ISTj) behavior, imo.

Our set of typical behaviors could very well be summed up in a line that reads very much like the one quoted.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fe\Fi - that's interesting.. What do you mean by effecting a certain mood?
    One example could be inciting an 'us vs them' mentality in the audience. Another could be shaming the audience into disagreeing with my opponent.

Tricky things to effect, but possible.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Now that's interesting. What do you see the other as?
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Do you think Accepting Te has this characteristic?

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request