Thread: "Even I knew that!"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "Even I knew that!"

Or an over-exaggerative "didn't you know that?" or "what! How do you not know that! I found that out ages ago!"

Is this tied to a certain block pattern, or is it just lack of confidence in knowledge, and surprise that someone who is normally knowledgeable on this account fails to be knowledgeable?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HA seems a good hypothesis to me. I usually shrug it off, and comment on the new knowledge (if I consider it important at all).

This reminds me of the incredulity that I usually get when I admit to not having a cell phone - it makes me proud to be unique. However, that's not really the same thing, as "Even I knew that" is more normative.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never say that. I know that I know a lot of bullshit that people usually don't care about, so I'm not surprised if somebody else doesn't know.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I think I do say that. Like, someone who seems to know more than I know about cars will ask my husband a car related question, and I'll think, "Even I knew that!" Even though I don't know much about cars.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

totally offtopic:

did anyone ever see dave letterman's game on his late night show

"sink or float" ?

that's kind of what this subform reminds me of.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually say this but not in relation to knowing things just seeing things. for example last night i was at a dinner party and some one said they have not seen the movie Anchor man to which I promptly responded "How have you not seen Anchor Man?!"
    Easy Day

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    I usually say this but not in relation to knowing things just seeing things. for example last night i was at a dinner party and some one said they have not seen the movie Anchor man to which I promptly responded "How have you not seen Anchor Man?!"
    I have not seen Anchor Man.

Now admit that I'm unique and you're ordinary.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Or an over-exaggerative "didn't you know that?" or "what! How do you not know that! I found that out ages ago!"

Is this tied to a certain block pattern, or is it just lack of confidence in knowledge, and surprise that someone who is normally knowledgeable on this account fails to be knowledgeable?
    I think its lack of confidence in knowledge and those with weak but valued are most inclined to use that phrase.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think, "even I knew that!" very often, but, "how could you not know that?" often crosses my mind. Last time I got into an argument on that theme was how TV and radio makes money through advertising. It boggled my mind that a 40-year-old had not grasped that relationship.

Other notable examples include the burden of proof concept, or the idea of arms races. I want to strangle anyone who buys an SUV because it makes them 'safer'.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like these people because I can give them misinformation and have them say that to my face, and just feel bad for their fraudulence.