Thread: Adapting to your Role function

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Adapting to your Role function.

They say that the role function is adapted to, is consciously "worked on," and is a common area of self improvement.

When I was younger, I used to think it was strange that I would never really laugh at the TV. For example I would sit around watching TV and recognize that something was funny and I might laugh sometimes but it was uncommon, and i really confused me when someone else let out a loud deeply rooted laugh. Also, smiling for pictures was extremely difficult. If you look at any picture of me under the age of 10ish I have a horribly fake smile.

I grew out of these things but I find it strange. Maybe it's Fe-role related.

Here is quote for an example of Fi-Role from wikisocion
    If asked to express a unique, personal sentiment, such as a favorite color or football team, the LII may find difficulty choosing if there is no "obvious" answer. He often feels like he has no real personal, subjective feelings at all, and usually has to make a conscious decision where other types could easily supply an instinctive reaction.
    I'm assuming that the weakness in the role function is more apparent to your self than the PoLR.

Can anyone describe how they may have experienced their role function?
    3w4-5w6-9w8

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the longest time, I was totally indifferent to how I looked/what I wore/etc., but in preparing to go off to college (I'm just 18), my brother became my temporary image consultant. We bought me better clothes, he tried to get me to buy cologne, etc. I figure this way if I absolutely need to go somewhere and make a positive impression with my appearance, I can, and otherwise I can just do my normal uncombed hair, jeans with paint on them thing. Viewed socionically, I suppose this could be seen as development.

From wikisocion:

IEIs will often have extremely picky tastes, and will not try new things when a stimulus that has been enjoyed in the past is available. They tend to be unaware to the sensations that are occurring in their body, and thus try to create a consistent, simple way of dealing with this area to minimize the attention they must give to it. They may enjoy good food, but will typically not know when to stop, or, to the other extreme, may not realize when they are hungry.
    Those are both things that I find true, and things that I find myself improving on over time. I used to be crazy picky when I was a little kid, and now I have a much wider group of things that I like. But I do get trapped in a rut as far as food choices; there are five or six things from three or four restaurants that constitute 40ish percent of my non-homecooked diet. And I always want to try something new, but I *know* that I'll like the thing I always get, so that's what I end up getting. Also, I used to go whole mornings without eating; I'd wake up at nine or ten and not eat until one or two. That almost never happens anymore.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    They say that the role function is adapted to, is consciously "worked on," and is a common area of self improvement.

When I was younger, I used to think it was strange that I would never really laugh at the TV. For example I would sit around watching TV and recognize that something was funny and I might laugh sometimes but it was uncommon, and i really confused me when someone else let out a loud deeply rooted laugh. Also, smiling for pictures was extremely difficult. If you look at any picture of me under the age of 10ish I have a horribly fake smile.

I grew out of these things but I find it strange. Maybe it's Fe-role related.

Here is quote for an example of Fi-Role from wikisocion

I'm assuming that the weakness in the role function is more apparent to your self than the PoLR.

Can anyone describe how they may have experienced their role function?
    I mostly agree. But the role-function is not something that people actively work to improve, but to adapt and work around.

For example, an LII may see that they are supposed to have some personal sentiment on a topic. They may either provide an upfront Ti-answer or a Ti-answer which they have learned to dress-up as an "appropriate" Fi response. It is also possible that the LII may have pre-made ready answers available despite not really having strong personal sentiments.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    I mostly agree. But the role-function is not something that people actively work to improve, but to adapt and work around.

For example, an LII may see that they are supposed to have some personal sentiment on a topic. They may either provide an upfront Ti-answer or a Ti-answer which they have learned to dress-up as an "appropriate" Fi response. It is also possible that the LII may have pre-made ready answers available despite not really having strong personal sentiments.
    I've found this to be the case. As a result of working retail, I have various little "scripts" for making small talk with people I don't know well, mostly revolving around the weather. If the conversation strays off-script, I start to get lost, and if it goes into completely unfamiliar territory, I start looking around for a co-worker to get me out of this mess.
    Quaero Veritas.

Creepy-male

Well, it's also something you criticize yourself for especially if someone else does that criticizing for you. I'm chronically unable to do anything boring, because I'm a silly Ne base and won't be going anywhere in my life , but at the same time, I sometimes feel like it's a weakness and something I need to work on. Like, "Damnit, Gul, stop referring to yourself in the third person! It's freakin' weird, man! And anyway, you need to knuckle down and do some damn schoolwork. You're failing all your exams."

And even worse, unlike ILEs, I have no Ti, so I can't listen to my own reasoning. Damnit! (And even worse, Si leads me astray. "Why strain yourself? Veg out with me " Bah!)

TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I guess with Si, I've adapted over the years. I used to skip a lot of meals (I still skip breakfast, but most people do that!), and dress without thinking very hard. But now I seem to get hungry a lot, and enjoy discovering new foods. If there's something weird on the table, my friends know I'll be the first to try it . I tend to pay attention to what I wear, but most of my clothes are monochrome and if someone's complimented an item of clothing, I'll wear it more often.

I've recently gotten into baking. A lot of the time I go for things that sound conceptually good, then look up a million recipes and pick the one that's been voted the best (so more of the people who eat it will like me, right :wink. I aim a lot higher than I can handle - the first time I baked, I was going to make adorable filled cupcakes with perfectly piped icing, but naturally that failed.

However, I can't say I've worked on Si much more than my other weak functions, or even my strong functions. When I was younger, I was quite socially isolated, and had no idea how to behave in social situations, or understand the feelings of those around me. Currently, I especially need to work on Ti/Ni for my studies. So for me, at least, the area of "conscious self-improvement" is completely dependent on my current needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I constantly feel like I should be more disciplined, despite my way of life working quite well for me. As an example, I have a flexible job that often doesn't require me to wake up at a specific time, yet I feel as though I need to establish some sort of sleep routine.. but I can't exactly pinpoint good reasons why. Along those lines, I feel like I've got something to prove to myself as far as my own abilities are concerned.
    Last edited by greed; 08-27-2009 at 05:54 PM.
    IEE-Ne | ENFP | 4w3-6w7-9w1 so/sp/sx | sCoA|I| | Sanguine/Choleric | Benevolent Inventor

birthday frog wishes you a happy birthday
    birthday frog will give you presents and a card on your birthday
    birthday frog is Fe incarnate

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote:
    If asked to express a unique, personal sentiment, such as a favorite color or football team, the LII may find difficulty choosing if there is no "obvious" answer. He often feels like he has no real personal, subjective feelings at all, and usually has to make a conscious decision where other types could easily supply an instinctive reaction.

I often have this problem. I have difficulty answering questions regarding favorites because most of the time, I truly do not have a favorite and sometimes my favorites can change with time. I like alot of different things and it seems unnatural for me to narrow it down to just one or a couple of options.

At work in the LIIbrary I much prefer the more objective types of questions where the patrons are requesting a specific type of information rather than the more subjective ones like "help me find a good book to read." What's good to one person isn't necessarily good for another. I know what I like to read, that isn't the problem. The problem is finding something that may be a good match for that person's reading interests, especially when the person's interests are very different from mine and I don't know enough about the literature in a particular reading genre to make a good recommendation. Such questions make me feel awkward. I genuinely want to find something that will be a good match for that reader and feel bad if I come up short.

I'll often try to objectify such questions, rely on premade lists such as "If you like X then try Y", recommend something that alot of other patrons have said was good, rather than recommending based on what I have truly loved myself.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    Quote:

I often have this problem. I have difficulty answering questions regarding favorites because most of the time, I truly do not have a favorite and sometimes my favorites can change with time. I like alot of different things and it seems unnatural for me to narrow it down to just one or a couple of options.

Oh yeah, same here. For the longest time, I just had some pre-readied answers for questions like that. Program: "Favourite Color --> Answer 'red'.", "Favourite football team --> Answer 'Roughriders'.", etc.

A recent example was in last year's home ec class, where there was an assignment of making a ranking of your favourite foods in order or something. By the end of the class, most people were nearly finished, whereas I was barely started from spending so much time sorting through various foods I liked and trying to come to an answer.
    IJ temperament
    LII ()
    LII-Ne
    H-LII
    Ni-LII
    iei-LII

Enneagram: 5(w4?)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using my Role function in front of real people makes me feel like a loser. Experiencing my role function in solitary is rewarding in itself but at the same time wears a scent of deep melancholy and utmost humanity.I like pleasure spiked with pain - and the pleasure is all mine=> This is INFj-Fi. What's ISFj-Fi like? Hm, i don't feel like thinking of that at the moment.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can relate to what the INTjs said regarding Fi role. I'm the same way. I have my pre-made answers ready for some questions, and hate being asked subjective, personal sentiment kinds of questions.