Thread: Correlation between MBTI INFp and Socionics ISFp?

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Correlation between MBTI INFp and Socionics ISFp?

Hi all,

I was just wondering....I feel that I am clearly a socionics SEI, but whenever I do a Myers-Briggs based test, I tend to come up as INFp...I was just wondering if there is a correlation?

Thoughts?

-Bee. xx
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do my level best to ignore MBTI altogether. It's such a poorly defined morass of behavioural categorizations that it's difficult to draw any solid correlations anywhere. From what I understand, that's why MBTI lacks an intertype relationships system -- the system is too poorly defined to even draw correlations within itself, never mind to other, more accurate systems.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know everyone hates MBTI here (and don't get me wrong, I am NO fan of it).

But despite all the problems with MBTI, the quiz results are usually the same as Socionics (in my experience). I've had probably 100 (or more) people take the quiz over the years (the free google short MBTI one), and it's almost always the same as the Socionics type ends up being (this is after I get to know the people and confirm it). The extrovert/introvert category is wrong in some cases (as is obviously a potential problem w/ MBTI looking at external behavior vs. internal/functions, etc.)

I would say the MBTI quiz is much more reliable that we give it credit for (though clearly Socionics is the way to go with everything beyond that). I know that may not make sense with all the differences between the two theories, but I've found it to be accurate for finding out a person's type.

We can only type others based on surface-level info anyway (whether it's VI, or looking at whether they might possibly value a function or not based on behavior). So I think this is the only place MBTI is useful, in giving a person a quick quiz to get a feel for what their type may be.

So you might want to look at that result and look into it to see if it's correct -- you answered the questions as an "N" in any event, so maybe figure out why you got that result. The nice thing about being yourself is, you can ask endless questions and know if you're being truthful with yourself.

Of course you could just be interested in "N" types of theory, the way I could be interested in "S" activities like cooking, etc. -- which would of course generate that result. Or you really could be an INFp. Since you know Socionics, it should be pretty easy for you to figure out which functions you value, and whether that matches the MBTI result you got.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    I know everyone hates MBTI here (and don't get me wrong, I am NO fan of it).

But despite all the problems with MBTI, the quiz results are usually the same as Socionics (in my experience). I've had probably 100 (or more) people take the quiz over the years (the free google short MBTI one), and it's almost always the same as the Socionics type ends up being (this is after I get to know the people and confirm it). The extrovert/introvert category is wrong in some cases (as is obviously a potential problem w/ MBTI looking at external behavior vs. internal/functions, etc.)

I would say the MBTI quiz is much more reliable that we give it credit for (though clearly Socionics is the way to go with everything beyond that). I know that may not make sense with all the differences between the two theories, but I've found it to be accurate for finding out a person's type.
    Can I have your autograph, since I have just become your fan.

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The accuracy of the tests depend entirely upon how true to yourself you are in answering the questions. Too often people will answer not how they truly are, but how they would like to see themselves or how they aspire to be. That throws the tests off.

Best thing you can do is read the Socionics profile descriptions and see which ones fit you best. Avoid the MBTI descriptions because they all sound too agreeable, have too much political correctness, and thus it's tough to find things you disagree with in MBTI profiles to challenge the accuracy with, especially if you're in a grey area. Also learn about Socionics intertype relationship theories, and other things like the PoLR, Hidden Agenda, Dual Seeking concepts. These are all features of the Socionics system which simply aren't present in MBTI.

I was only able to finally confirm my type as an INTp by correctly identifying my hidden agenda, PoLR and dual-seeking functions. I can use my first two functions well enough that I can appear as either an ENTj or INTp. In the end, the Socionics and MBTI type descriptions do correlate and describe the same type of person, but the Socionics ones will be easier to pin down due to not being cluttered with overly PC BS.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very true, however when I give friends the test, it seems that all the intellectuals get ENFP.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Mimosa. A lot of Socionics sensors score as Ns on MBTI tests. I also find that there are far more S-types on Socionics forums than MBTI forums.
    EII
    4w5, sp/sx

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
    I agree with Mimosa. A lot of Socionics sensors score as Ns on MBTI tests. I also find that there are far more S-types on Socionics forums than MBTI forums.
    ah interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

Though you would expect it to be the other way around, since mbti claims only 25% of the people is intuitive while socionics (often) claims 50% to be intuitive.

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, thanks
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read around some socionics experts opinions, those I consider that, and INFP is in close conversion to EII, and less so a relative sensor type like SEI.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    I've read around some socionics experts opinions, those I consider that, and INFP is in close conversion to EII, and less so a relative sensor type like SEI.
    It appears ISFp->INFp is more a common testing error than a theoretical difference.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khola View Post
    Hi all,

I was just wondering....I feel that I am clearly a socionics SEI, but whenever I do a Myers-Briggs based test, I tend to come up as INFp...I was just wondering if there is a correlation?

Thoughts?

-Bee. xx
    the most solid personality test to me is the one published in Please Understand Me II by David Keirsey. Available at your local library in the back of the book. One warning is that his relationship pairings outlined in that book tend to correlate with Socionics relationships of supervision.

Best,

Lefty ENFJ