TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default The Brontė sisters

(The three famous ones at least)

Based on their writing styles and Charlotte Brontė's descriptions of her two sisters, I tentatively consider Emily to have been an INFp (she is described as being removed from the world and impractical). The description of Anne is somewhat similar, though less so.

Charlotte seemed like a XXXj type in comparison, although I shouldn't really use such notation. She seemed quite level-headed and stern. I see that the character of Jane Eyre has been typed as INFj on this forum, and that was supposed to be a representation of Charlotte, but I don't have any strong opinion on the matter!

Creepy-Cyclops

Yeah, interesting question. I wondered what type their brother was (although you're not asking that, sorry )

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default the Brontės

I'm quite surprised to find that I apparently haven't started a thread on them before...

My impressions of Charlotte is that she had quite a stern personality, perhaps quite moralistic in nature and maybe somewhat practical. I would just type her IxxJ

Anne had a softer personality of the three sisters and was perhaps a SEI or an IEI.

Now with Emily...she's by far the most interesting and probably most difficult to type. She apparently didn't go out of her way to speak to people, despite being perfectly affable...she is supposed to have preferred the company of animals to other individuals and enjoyed being by herself amongst nature:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte Bronte
    My sister's disposition was not naturally gregarious; circumstances favoured and fostered her tendency to seclusion; except to go to church or take a walk on the hills, she rarely crossed the threshold of home. Though her feeling for the people round was benevolent, intercourse with them she never sought; nor, with very few exceptions, ever experienced. And yet she know them: knew their ways, their language, their family histories; she could hear of them with interest, and talk of them with detail, minute, graphic, and accurate; but WITH them, she rarely exchanged a word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte Bronte
    Once she was bitten by a dog that she saw running by in great distress, and to which she offered water. The dog was mad. She said no word to any one, but herself burned the lacerated flesh to the bone with the red hot poker, and no one knew of it until the red scar was accidentally discovered some weeks after, and sympathetic questioning brought out this story.
    In addition, the head of school she attended described her as follows:
    Quote Originally Posted by Constantin Héger
    She should have been a man – a great navigator. Her powerful reason would have deduced new spheres of discovery from the knowledge of the old; and her strong imperious will would never have been daunted by opposition or difficulty, never have given way but with life. She had a head for logic, and a capability of argument unusual in a man and rarer indeed in a woman... impairing this gift was her stubborn tenacity of will which rendered her obtuse to all reasoning where her own wishes, or her own sense of right, was concerned.
    I completely intrigued about what her type could be.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Charlotte:

Almost all descriptions of Charlotte mention her eyes:

"Many who met Charlotte Brontė were amazed to find that the fierce and vehement Currer Bell was, in fact, a rather plain, terribly shy, and quite proper woman, completely unremarkable in appearance except for eyes of "extraordinary brilliancy and penetration."

One young writer who dined at the Parsonage was mesmerized by them: "they looked you through and through -- and you felt they were forming an opinion of you . . . by a subtle penetration into the very marrow of your mind, and the innermost core of your soul!"
    Emily:

At the age of 14 Emily was described as:

"A strange figure tall, slim, angular, with all her inches not yet grown ...features somewhat strong and stern, the mouth prominent and resolute.....pleasant, sometimes jovial, like a boy...so genial and kind, a little masculine... but of strangers she was exceedingly timid"
    And as an adult:

"Emily was the tallest. She'd bigger bones and was stronger looking and more masculine, but very nice in her ways."
    Anne:

Description of Anne by Charlotte's friend, Ellen Nussey.
    "[Emily] and gentle Anne were to be seen twined together as united statues of power and humility. They were to be seen with their arms lacing each other in their younger days whenever their occupations permitted their union."

"Emily and Anne were like twins — inseparable companions, and in the very closest sympathy, which never had any interruption... but Anne was quite different in appearance from the others."
    Description of Anne by the publisher George Smith.
    A gentle, quiet, rather subdued person, by no means pretty, yet of a pleasing appearance..... Her manner was curiously expressive of a wish for protection and encouragement, a kind of constant appeal which invited sympathy."
    (For general interest...) This has been supposed to be a photograph of the sisters...I think the case is very strong for it! (it looks like "Emily" and "Anne" even have their arms laced)

"Charlotte", "Emily", "Anne"

source for all this: http://www.brontesisters.co.uk

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Being the Brontes

(I was keeping the WSS typing of Emily as ILI in mind while watching that, as well as the possibility of Charlotte as -dominant, when thinking of how they interacted and perceived each other).

Articles on Anne:
    http://www.theguardian.com/books/boo...harlotte-emily
    http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...an-anne-bronte

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anne - IEI

Emily - ILI

Charlotte I would guess IEE tbh

TIM
    whatever
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlotte - delta NF

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlotte-EII
    Emily-ILI
    Anne- don’t know but I remember watching a movie version of her book the Tenant of Wildfell Hall. It seemed like it was about an EII-SLE conflictor relationship.

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all three are IEI imo
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples