Thread: What do Se types do for Ni types exactly?

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What do Se types do for Ni types exactly?

From the point of view of actual Ni types, not what socionics tells you.

Do they help accomplish your plans?
    Establish desires you weren't aware of?
    Protect you?
    Motivate you to action?
    Just entertain you so you like having them around?
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

From that list:
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana Pancakes View Post
    Motivate you to action?
    The most important is that they do (or I would want them to do) difficult or stuff I don't like to do for me.

Also I would add that they make all the iniatives concerning the relation.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protect you?
    Motivate you to action?
    What my ESI special friend does is suit up in armor and charge at anyone who threatens(read: looks at me funny) me.
    LIE-Ni, i think, but maybe ILI

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, Se type's act now think later way of being really gets me going. I really admire those that know what they want and are willing to take initiative towards getting it. It's motivational and inspirational. I can't really describe it any other way.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    The most important is that they do (or I would want them to do) difficult or stuff I don't like to do for me.
    Same. It's not even difficult by most standards actually, it's just things I have...problems...with?
    Oh, and thank god they don't usually try to push me towards something (even though the more Se ones try to), because I hate that shit.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's like an energy thing. When they're all being purposeful and energetic and making things happen, it makes me less complacent and sit-around-y. Plus its fun to help--almost like I'm being effective vicariously. Also, when they magically make things happen out of nowhere it can be not only extremely helpful but also just fun or exciting. I suppose there is some sort of situation where the protection thing could be good, but in general I find protection annoying, for, I assume, non-socionics reasons. I interpret it as an assumption that I'm unable to take care of myself, even though it's probably not.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they give me a reason to make things happen.
    btw banana you are not ili

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Same. It's not even difficult by most standards actually, it's just things I have...problems...with?
    Yeah exactly. It's not like big deal for them.

Oh, and thank god they don't usually try to push me towards something (even though the more Se ones try to), because I hate that shit.
    Same here. And it seems more like it's the beta ST's that do that, than the gamma SF's.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protect you?
    Motivate you to action?
    I suffer from choice paralysis. I see many future lines and I end up in limbo, unable to act because I'm unable to choose from any of the lines. When I look at the future I see advantages for every line, when I look at the present in order to act I see energy expenditure that I'm unable to meet.

Se or better said SLE collapses the futures into the present. "Do A, B and C and after that you move to D"
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

They give me sex

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also I would add that they make all the iniatives concerning the relation.
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    Se or better said SLE collapses the futures into the present. "Do A, B and C and after that you move to D"
    So Beta Se is more pushing into action, while Gamma Se is more reliant on Fi arm twisting kinda stuff?

From that list:

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Se types give me a friendly push to do stuff, they are able to demonstrate their affection in tangible, visible ways, and they are good at reading me just by observing me physically, and they will protect me in a strong way and they (provided this is a good relation) make me feel safe, cared for, and they are good at showing their interest in me which I find refreshing and I feel as if it's all what I really need to feel truly cared for. They show it by taking physical note and by being 'there' in the here and now and I feel suddenly connected, as if plugged in, to the real world. This is especially true of SEEs who often feel like soul mates in the first place.
    Can we expand with some examples of the "things" and "stuff" they do for you/motivate you to do?
    ILE-Ti

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suffer from choice paralysis. I see many future lines and I end up in limbo, unable to act because I'm unable to choose from any of the lines. When I look at the future I see advantages for every line, when I look at the present in order to act I see energy expenditure that I'm unable to meet.
    This is interesting, I never realized Ni sees multiple "future lines" at once. From the way it was described I just pictured one single line.

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    For me, Se type's act now think later way of being really gets me going. I really admire those that know what they want and are willing to take initiative towards getting it. It's motivational and inspirational. I can't really describe it any other way.
    Running around doing shit that enables you to predict/create new Ni lines?
    ILE-Ti

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running around doing shit that enables you to predict/create new Ni lines?
    It's not so much blindly running around doing stuff the way you make it sound. It's ambition towards something specific and a strong will towards reaching it. This may be difference between Se DS and Se HA. Those who make worthy goals a reality inspires me to do the same. I know what i want to achieve in life and I constantly keep that goal in mind as my highest priority, but I sometimes lack the initiative to be constantly pursuing it. I commonly miss what I need to do right now in order to reach want to achieve, so I can appreciate someone who can tell me what I need to do right now.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post
    Se types spur me into action. I mentioned to someone a few weeks ago, that if were not for my Se husband, I'd probably spend my days in my dirty old Pjs, in endless cogitation, surfing the net in my dark basement, drinking beer and picking morsels of stale food off the carpet to eat. Well, maybe I exaggerate. Something along those lines in any case.

Much has been posted in this thread already that I agree with. There isn't much to add. I'm married to an SLE - a general badass, listens to loud music until his ears bleed, speaks in streams of expletives and calls it like it is. He is a 'doer' and extremely bright. While I don't particularly like being nudged/poked to do something, what he has taught me is to halt my constant analysis and just 'do'. I've accomplished alot under his Se influence. This is not a dual relationship by any means as I don't share some his Beta values; nonetheless, it still works well.
    awesome. I'm kinda jealous.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Se types give me a friendly push to do stuff, they are able to demonstrate their affection in tangible, visible ways, and they are good at reading me just by observing me physically, and they will protect me in a strong way and they (provided this is a good relation) make me feel safe, cared for, and they are good at showing their interest in me which I find refreshing and I feel as if it's all what I really need to feel truly cared for. They show it by taking physical note and by being 'there' in the here and now and I feel suddenly connected, as if plugged in, to the real world. This is especially true of SEEs who often feel like soul mates in the first place.
    this sounds exactly like an ILI friend of mine. He met his SEE wife in college as FRESHMEN and they knew like right away they would be married. (they waited until a lot later but they're married now, with four kids) Anyway, I think this is exactly how he sees her.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for me, Se is like magic. I grew up in a Se-less family. Literally the only Se I was ever exposed to as a child was one cousin who lived hundreds of miles away. Otherwise, it's completely missing in my family and extended family. Which probably explains why I see it as such an amazing thing.

Se is ABLE. It is POWER. It is DOING. It is making things happen that you never thought could happen. It is CONTROL. It's knowing what you want and making it real. Se helps, protects, takes charge, gives direction. Se is fearless and makes dreams come true.

(blech, I sound like a blathering idiot... sorry)
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Beta Se is more pushing into action, while Gamma Se is more reliant on Fi arm twisting kinda stuff?
    Yeah well I don't know. I'm an EJ so I already have a lot of energy, I don't think I usually need to be pushed towards anything; I have Te there as base function, which means I already am rather confident in my ability to do stuff out there in the world. They might help me concentrate on something specific, though, that I might have been missing because I was doing something else; I might sometimes be a bit too dispersive. If you push me into action I will feel pissed no matter how good the action might have been for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like some others have mentioned, Se helps me get out and do stuff. I moved to a completely new town last spring and I knew that I would need to make an explicit effort to get involved with the groups and activities in the area. And that was hard work for me.

SEEs seem to do this effortlessly. They will jump from one fascination to the next, picking up something new to focus on every few months. When I am around an SEE I can just get caught up in that rush of opportunities and interests. All of a sudden I'll find myself involved in a club/sport/game that I _never_ would have sought out on my own, but actually quite enjoy. The SEE that introduced me to something might have already moved on to some other topic, but I will now have a new hobby or activity thanks to their initial enthusiasm.

It's not at all a targetted "YOu have got to try this" kind of thing, either. I tend to resent that kind of "pushing." Rather the SEE is so excited by whatever their Interest of the Day is, that they seek to share their enthusiasm with anyone and everyone. The effect is both "motivating" and "entertaining" (to refer to the OP) without any of the subliminal demand that I actually reciprocate that enthusiasm.
    Last edited by anon50557; 08-21-2009 at 03:34 AM. Reason: formatting
    ILI

¿Qué es la vida? Un frenesí.
    ¿Qué es la vida? Una ilusión;
    una sombra, una ficción
    y el mayor bien es pequeño.
    ¡Que toda la vida es sueño
    y los sueños, sueños son!

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isolda Biloruka View Post
    I moved to a completely new town last spring and I knew that I would need to make an explicit effort to get involved with the groups and activities in the area. And that was hard work for me.
    Heh. That'll be hard work for most IPs, especially XLIs. Not necessarily Ni's.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Yes, this exactly what annoys me about beta-ST, related to the pushing we talked earlier with FDG. Large part what you said was also related to Ti. I don't like to be told what to do or what to think. That's the difference between beta-NF and gamma-NT. But if you replace the decision confusion, with confusion about how people feel about me, how to change these feelings, and other things related to relations between people, then that's in analog with me. Especially to the other person in spesific, on one-to-one basis.

I suppose instead of pushing, it's like pulling closer, and them knowing what's too much pulling and what's too little

Can we expand with some examples of the "things" and "stuff" they do for you/motivate you to do?
    It's lot of different kinds of stuff, lot of it just part of normal life to most people. I often generalize this as:"I don't like to do anything physical". Lot of stuff seem like obstacles to me, even small stuff. Like one example is that if I happen to go to a store with my SeTi dad, he's usually the one that talks, while I loom somewhere in the background, (this probably doesn't apply to the extroverts), even if it's technically my business. Of course I can talk, as it's rare that we go to store together, we don't live even in the same city. While my dad just likes to chat with random people. For example he once visited this grocery story near where I live and he had chatted with the store owner, and as result knew more about the happenings of that grocery store, than I have found out in years going to that store.

The motivation is mainly towards my goals, but also towards things that would benefit me, but I just don't have the energy to do, and instead do something else that's less energy consuming / less trouble.
    Last edited by Warlord; 08-22-2009 at 12:03 PM.

INTp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, this exactly what annoys me about beta-ST, related to the pushing we talked earlier with FDG. Large part what you said was also related to Ti. I don't like to be told what to do or what to think.
    Interesting... I don't mind being told what to do OR what to think. I don't take it personally. I just remembered my attitude regarding a certain SLE "telling" me what to think. I perceived as a lack of perspective, I explained the way I viewed things and in the end she told me something like... "you're right." She tried bringing pragmatism to my vision but in the end, when she better understood my vision was optimistic, still pragmatic but optimistic.
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting... I don't mind being told what to do OR what to think. I don't take it personally. I just remembered my attitude regarding a certain SLE "telling" me what to think. I perceived as a lack of perspective, I explained the way I viewed things and in the end she told me something like... "you're right." She tried bringing pragmatism to my vision but in the end, when she better understood my vision was optimistic, still pragmatic but optimistic.
    yeah I don't mind it either. and I find it cute and funny the way SLEs are so sure of themselves. yet they can be swayed. esp. by IEIs. heh
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, this exactly what annoys me about beta-ST, related to the pushing we talked earlier with FDG. Large part what you said was also related to Ti. I don't like to be told what to do or what to think. That's the difference between beta-NF and gamma-NT. But if you replace the decision confusion, with confusion about how people feel about me, how to change these feelings, and other things related to relations between people, then that's in analog with me. Especially to the other person in spesific, on one-to-one basis.
    Yeah, I totally relate.

It's lot of different kinds of stuff, lot of it just part of normal life to most people. I often generalize this as:"I don't like to do anything physical". Lot of stuff seem like obstacles to me, even small stuff. Like one example is that if I happen to go to a store with my SeTi dad, he's usually the one that talks, while I loom somewhere in the background, (this probably doesn't apply to the extroverts), even if it's technically my business. Of course I can talk, as it's rare that we go to store together, we don't live even in the same city. While my dad just likes to chat with random people. For example he once visited this grocery story near where I live and he had chatted with the store owner, and as result knew more about the happenings of that grocery store, than I have found out in years going to that store.
    Lol, same. I have motivation for the important things in life, it's this kind of stuff (which is also in many ways important!) that I have some trouble with. For example, I hate talking on the phone. I try to avoid phoning offices to ask questions if it's not absolutely necessary. This means that I never get to know, for example, if a deadline has changed and the internet page has not been updated. I also dislike going to ask people about stuff in offices, or at the library, or asking in grocery stores if there's this or that - I would prefer these kind of interactions to be completely automatized because I don't know how to relate to people in this kind of settings (informal settings are easier). ESIs seem to know kind of instinctually on how to do it, and this is really helpful.

Ex. I had finished all my exams and my thesis but I had to go through a daunting process of going from office to office in order to get everything validated etc. etc. doing the exam and the thesis was the easy part for me, it's the bureucracy that was killing my soul...so my girlfriend just did it herself, she asked a friend of hers that works in an office to explain to her where to go and how to do in order not to waste time, and everything went smoothly

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aren't there like dozens of threads about this topic? If only we could search for them. The engine on this host is an instant memory wipe past the first few pages. I shall defeat it one day. Fwiwt, I shared a lot about my idea of dualization Se a few months back.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protect you?
    Motivate you to action?
    they jerk them out of the Ni vortex through purposeful action, earthy practicality, and tough as nails logic.

oops i'm not an Ni type, but i know one. well.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They help me focus on the present, help me to "just do it". They take action. They apply force and help me understand when to apply force and how much force to apply. They're hot.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Se types are also good at taking action when the time is right. Ni types set up the situation for them to do so.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cried the day I came home, and I don't cry over much, because of that feeling of 'something is seriously missing' setting in whenever I briefly connect, connect with a dual and start having feelings and then see them leave or have to leave them, especially when it all happens too soon...God is cruel to me or else he doesn't want me to be into girls...whatever, it still blows. Though I never knew what it meant to have a broken heart when the school one came and left...or maybe I left...I was a mess inside for at least two years.).
    IEI-Fe 4w3