Thread: do traumatic events alter your type?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default do traumatic events alter your type?

Do you think that a traumatic event would alter your personality enough to change your type? Would it ultimately effect/mask what your "real" type?

Do people who go through PTSD and similar psychological states have a difficult time grasping who they've become? Or am I just making a huge assumption and viewing these "events" as anything more changing than everyday incidents?

thoughts?
    "this shaking keeps me steady. i should know. what falls always is always. and is near. i wake to sleep and taking my waking slow. i learn by going where i have to go." -t. roethke

ENFp!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to me that your underlying "default" in-born type would still be there. How you act is dependent on the situation and many other factors. I've been shy, outgoing, silly, serious, etc. But I've always been ENFp.

I believe the basics of underlying personality are in-born. You can change the outward expression of your personality (while not changing your "default.")

I worked in a quiet office for a year and pretended to be an introvert to fit in. Was I an introvert? No.

As for accidents or injuries that physically alter the brain, or let's say having a tumor removed, I don't know. I've heard it can affect personality and behavior. But still, I just don't see how it would be possible to change from ENFp to ISTj or something.

So I'm going with "no."
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I agree with what Jewels said. I don't think your type changes.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dudeins View Post
    Do you think that a traumatic event would alter your personality enough to change your type?
    In my ears this sounds the same as, would puking make you change your gender.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    In my ears this sounds the same as, would puking make you change your gender.

I agree with Jewels.
    IEI-Fe 4w3