View Poll Results: Can you smell a person's scent (not perfume or whatever) when that person is your own gender?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I know I have

2 15.38%
  • No, I don't think I have

5 38.46%
  • I don't know

6 46.15%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You know how everyone has their own smell?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default You know how everyone has their own smell?

It's particularly apparent when or after you've kissed someone.

The question is, can you smell it in someone of your own gender? I remember smelling lots of guys, but I don't remember smelling any girls before. (I've kissed a lot of them, too, and I'm probably as attracted to them as I am to guys.)
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I smell it on other guys, not so much on girls.

The question is, can you smell it in someone of your own gender?
    You're heterosexual, and a girl. Why would you respond to the scent of females in any way? I notice if women are wearing nice perfumes though, but I never ever notice their physiological scent... =/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    You're heterosexual.
    Am I?
    SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try sucking their pussies and seeing what you smell

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

lol.

Get outta here, you're no dyke!!!

Are you? That would be funny.

hehe im cracking up.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would feel better if joy was a dyke

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratXII View Post
    try sucking their pussies and seeing what you smell
    LOL

I've never been close enough to a female to notice her "smell" and I never want to. I love a guys natural scent given that they're clean.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice things like what perfume someone's wearing - sometimes hair products if they've just applied them. When I first walk into someone's house, I notice that it smells different. People's cars and clothes always have a different smell.

As for more than that... I'm not sure. I always assumed someone's smell is an accumulation of all the products they use.

I agree with jessica. I love freshly showered guys. lol

Now you're making me nervous. What if I smell terrible and I don't even know it?!?
    IEE

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just shower daily and you'll be fine ;p it's amazing how many grown people don't do such a simple thing as shower. There are some funky people out there. But oh gosh a freshly showered boy with no cologne...that's the best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    LOL

I've never been close enough to a female to notice her "smell" and I never want to. I love a guys natural scent given that they're clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    I notice things like what perfume someone's wearing - sometimes hair products if they've just applied them. When I first walk into someone's house, I notice that it smells different. People's cars and clothes always have a different smell.

As for more than that... I'm not sure. I always assumed someone's smell is an accumulation of all the products they use.

I agree with jessica. I love freshly showered guys. lol

Now you're making me nervous. What if I smell terrible and I don't even know it?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Just shower daily and you'll be fine ;p it's amazing how many grown people don't do such a simple thing as shower. There are some funky people out there. But oh gosh a freshly showered boy with no cologne...that's the best.
    Are you two still in high school?
    LIE-Ni, i think, but maybe ILI

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Junior high

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    It's particularly apparent when or after you've kissed someone.

The question is, can you smell it in someone of your own gender? I remember smelling lots of guys, but I don't remember smelling any girls before. (I've kissed a lot of them, too, and I'm probably as attracted to them as I am to guys.)
    Yes, I can smell the differences between people's personal smells, of both genders. It's not that pronounced to me, though, and I have to be fairly close to them and usually in the state of mind to notice. However, my sister's senses in that department are more developed than mine; she can sense the differences much more strongly than I. For example, she can tell which clothing belongs to which of her family/close friends just by smelling them.

Also, by personal smell I don't mean when they necessarily have strong BO (though that, in some cases, can make it easier to notice). I mean that sort of smell that people often have when they're clean but not too clean, and not drenched in artificial scent. Although, I think that often people's choices in artificial scent can enhance and blend well with their own, kind of like how certain spices can enhance certain foods. But, anyway, that's another topic.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you two still in high school?
    Why? What gave it away? Do older women prefer men who never shower? Must be an acquired taste.

(Don't mess with jessica. She'll shoot you.)
    IEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Yes, I can smell the differences between people's personal smells, of both genders. It's not that pronounced to me, though, and I have to be fairly close to them and usually in the state of mind to notice. However, my sister's senses in that department are more developed than mine; she can sense the differences much more strongly than I. For example, she can tell which clothing belongs to which of her family/close friends just by smelling them.

Also, by personal smell I don't mean when they necessarily have strong BO (though that, in some cases, can make it easier to notice). I mean that sort of smell that people often have when they're clean but not too clean, and not drenched in artificial scent. Although, I think that often people's choices in artificial scent can enhance and blend well with their own, kind of like how certain spices can enhance certain foods. But, anyway, that's another topic.
    Pheromones.

Supposedly they're there to help you pick partners who you're biologically compatible with for creating offspring or something along those lines (which is why I didn't know if people could smell others of the same sex). Perfume/cologne smells different on different people because of this.
    SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

being attracted to a smell, or not attracted to it, is different than not smelling it entirely. there is no connection. only, possibly, the illusion of a connection through people taking note of a smell they're attracted to. but altogether still a stupid question

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pheromones.

Supposedly they're there to help you pick partners who you're biologically compatible with for creating offspring or something along those lines (which is why I didn't know if people could smell others of the same sex). Perfume/cologne smells different on different people because of this.
    Well, many animals, like dogs, can differentiate between individuals' smells. So I figure that it might be something like that with some people, just having a more sensitive nose. But, yeah, pheromones probably play a part, too, in terms of picking up on or noticing smells.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

I don't smell most people of any gender, they have to be unusually sweaty (or something) that I can smell them. If I discount the reek of perfumes.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Girls smell like laundry detergent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Although, I think that often people's choices in artificial scent can enhance and blend well with their own, kind of like how certain spices can enhance certain foods.
    moving on...

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    Why? What gave it away? Do older women prefer men who never shower? Must be an acquired taste.

(Don't mess with jessica. She'll shoot you.)
    It was probably more Jessica that made me ask the question, but since you were involved in the conversation, I decided to through it in. And it had more to do with the level of excitement over freshly showered guys.
    LIE-Ni, i think, but maybe ILI

Bow to the Ninchucks Microknight's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, although females are much more noticeable.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it seems the winning vote is 'i don't know / i don't give a fuck'

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be clear, I was not talking about sweat or whatever. Minde had the right idea. And I most certainly do not have to be attracted to a guy to notice his smell. Sometimes when I'm inspecting houses I open closets to check for water stains and test the doors, and I'll notice that it smells like a man. It's clean laundry. It's just that I notice the smell of certain men. Sometimes it's so strong that it's a nuisance, especially when it's someone I'm not attracted to. I don't smell all men though, and I don't recall ever having smelled a woman, even if I've made out with her or am attracted to her.
    SEE

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are many of the Si PoLRs I know online so obsessed with this crap.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a reasonably practical explanation in my case (a situation that brought it up), though I'd rather not share it here.
    SEE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha. this topic deserves lots of jokes.
    asd

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what you're talking about but I've never noticed it with a women. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    I know what you're talking about but I've never noticed it with a women. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention.
    Indeed. I know with some guys it really jumps out at me though.

wikipedia on the subject, fwiw:

Other studies have suggested that people might be using odor cues associated with the immune system to select mates who are not closely related to themselves. Using a brain imaging technique, Swedish researchers have shown that homosexual and heterosexual males' brains respond differently to two odors that may be involved in sexual arousal, and that the homosexual men respond in the same way as heterosexual women, though it could not be determined whether this was cause or effect.[citation needed] The study was expanded to include homosexual women; the results were consistent with previous findings meaning that homosexual women were not as responsive to male identified odors, while their response to female cues was similar to heterosexual males.[18] According to the researchers, this research suggests a possible role for human pheromones in the biological basis of sexual orientation.[19] In 2008, it was found using functional magnetic resonance imaging that the right orbitofrontal cortex, right fusiform cortex, and right hypothalamus respond to airborne natural human sexual sweat. [20]
    SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It bothers me that this topic is construed as worthy of a discussion

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whoa

In a 1995 experiment by Wedekind, a group of female college students smelled t-shirts that had been worn by male students for two nights, without deodorant, cologne or scented soaps. Overwhelmingly, the women preferred the odors of men with dissimilar MHCs to their own. However, their preference was reversed if they were taking oral contraceptives. [6] The hypothesis is that MHCs affect mate choice and that oral contraceptives can interfere with this. A study in 2005 showed similar results.[7]
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. That is very interesting.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very aware of scent. They say the scents you are repulsed by are your worst matches and vice versa.

I actually am aware about what percentage of a "match" a guy is to me, and I'll decide whether to keep dating him in part based on that (this is not just cologne or whatever, but you can sort of sense if you're repulsed or drawn to someone just when they lean in based on their natural scent).

I don't notice it w/ girls as much, but I am still aware. I'm not attracted to girls, but I could definitely recognize which of my friends and family smell like what.

With guys I sort of unconsciously "rate" how good he smells to me. My last ex was probably like 95-98 percent attractive smelling, which meant we were both ridiculously into each other (my friends couldn't figure it out as he was not "conventionally" attractive ). But the combination of a fairly compatible personality and that smell match and wow. yeah was very into him. Too bad didn't work out

I really care less and less what someone looks like and more their energy/vibe, their personality type, and their scent!
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes me wonder about the claims that hormonal birth control reduces sex drive.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    I'm very aware of scent. They say the scents you are repulsed by are your worst matches and vice versa.

I actually am aware about what percentage of a "match" a guy is to me, and I'll decide whether to keep dating him in part based on that (this is not just cologne or whatever, but you can sort of sense if you're repulsed or drawn to someone just when they lean in based on their natural scent).

I don't notice it w/ girls as much, but I am still aware. I'm not attracted to girls, but I could definitely recognize which of my friends and family smell like what.

With guys I sort of unconsciously "rate" how good he smells to me. My last ex was probably like 95-98 percent attractive smelling, which meant we were both ridiculously into each other (my friends couldn't figure it out as he was not "conventionally" attractive ). But the combination of a fairly compatible personality and that smell match and wow. yeah was very into him. Too bad didn't work out

I really care less and less what someone looks like and more their energy/vibe, their personality type, and their scent!
    I relate to this, to some extent. There was this guy I dated in high school that was a horrible match for me (SLE and very immature), but damn... his smell... and other people didn't seem to think his smell was that noticeable. I would get irritated because we worked at the same fast food restaurant and the drive through coat smelled like him. No one else seemed to notice though.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whoa
    Yeah I've heard a theory that that since the pill fools women's bodies into thinking they are pregnant, they prefer the scent of family (which would help care for the baby). So it could make women drawn to familar DNA smells instead of opposite. The result could be women choosing mates that don't create a potentially healthier baby (by benefitting from two diverse immune systems form very different scents/DNA instead of one overlapping, similar smelling one).

They say you should go off the pill to see if you are still attracted. I mean WOW that would be dissapointing right if you think this is the man of your dreams and then OOPS it was just the pill making you smell right to me! Sorry.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Does this mean I should start sending girls my t-shirts in a minigrip-bag, instead of putting them in laundry? Just in case there's a genetic match
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Does this mean I should start sending girls my t-shirts in a minigrip-bag, instead of putting them in laundry? Just in case there's a genetic match
    No.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    Yeah I've heard a theory that that since the pill fools women's bodies into thinking they are pregnant, they prefer the scent of family (which would help care for the baby). So it could make women drawn to familar DNA smells instead of opposite. The result could be women choosing mates that don't create a potentially healthier baby (by benefitting from two diverse immune systems form very different scents/DNA instead of one overlapping, similar smelling one).

They say you should go off the pill to see if you are still attracted. I mean WOW that would be dissapointing right if you think this is the man of your dreams and then OOPS it was just the pill making you smell right to me! Sorry.
    whoa
    SEE

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice the smell of some women, and I don't mean perfumes or anything like that.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda always assumed everyone has their own scent. I've noticed animals seem to pay a lot of attention to that kind of thing, and that they can identify other animals and individual people by scent alone. I personally don't notice smell with most people and can think of maybe three people I know the "scent" of. There's also a few more people I have scents associated with but that I can't tell if it's *their* scent or not... for instance this one guy who showered like once a month and didn't use soap and washed his clothes like once in a blue moon... anywhere he lived always had a very strong unpleasant smell, but I really couldn't tell what it was originating from (I suspect a wide variety of things including him and his bacteria). I think the Kama Sutra discusses scents and even categorized women into different scent types (e.g. sweet and salty or something). I think I'm aware of how I smell but that might be in the way that I know how I sound (which I'm sure is my own personal view on that because my voice sounds different of course when it's recorded so everyone else probably hears something slightly different than what I hear... and I would suspect they might smell something slightly different as well). I think that a dog with language capabilities would be the ideal candidate to answer this question. Dogs seem to exist in a complex world of scent... they smell individuals, emotions, etc. and can differentiate all of this appropriately to give them important information about the universe.

I think men seem to often have stronger smells (or so it seems to me). I've also noticed a particular kind of male scent that I don't think I like and what disturbed me even more was as I became conscious of the association I realized that I avoid men with this particular smell. I don't know how to describe it but it reminds me of dead skin flaking off of corpses or something (not that I've ever been in the presence of a corpse). And it seems to be vaguely associated with emotional daftness or something. Well actually I only noticed this a few times so I might be getting ahead of myself. Anyway it's just really weird and it made me wonder how strongly this world of smells and pheromones that I for the most part am not conscious of in most moments is operating behind the scenes. It makes me wonder if I'm still somehow reacting to such things even though most of the time I'm not aware of smelling anything. It would be this force contributing to my feelings about things that I'm not even aware of... going off of some ancient instinctual language that I am so estranged from I can't communicate with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sense of smell isn't that great and I'm usually oblivious to smells around me. That being said I've played a fair share of sports and worked quite a bit outside (construction-type jobs) and when other men smell they smell bad, like my old used pungent hockey equipment. When I procrastinate paying attention to my personal hygiene for a few days I often catch a whiff of myself and it's never pleasant lol. Also I can't differentiate between different natural man smells other than man smelling bad with deodorant and man smelling bad... without deodorant...

Women always seem to smell lovely though, god bless their souls
    INFp-Ni

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast