LSE
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can You Be Too Perfect - article for enneagram type 1

Can You Be Too Perfect?: Scientific American

Key Concepts

• Perfectionists can become discouraged by failing to meet impossibly high standards, making them reluctant to take on new challenges or even complete agreed-upon tasks. The insistence on dotting all the iís can also breed inefficiency, causing delays, work overload and even poor results.
    • Perfectionism can encompass some positive qualities, including a drive to succeed, an inclination to plan and organize, and a focus on excellence. So-called healthy perfectionists embrace the traitís sunnier side while minimizing its darker features.
    • In recent years researchers have developed tools to parse and measure the beneficial, along with the detrimental, aspects of perfectionism. In addition, they are developing treatment programs that push perfectionistic tendencies in a more positive direction.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

> can be called perfectionism. Our logic is built to last - we do not want it becoming outdated in three years. On the other hand, types (and me sometimes, but I still consider that ) often don't care if their work loses its importance in five minutes - it did what it was supposed to. types can want what they do to last to an extent, but it's always "I want it to last this long to get the full value out of it," not "This will be true forever, I have unlocked something that won't die with me!"

Anyway, I think the normative claims in your summary are Socionically type-prejudiced. I don't intend to read the article, though.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

???
    It isn't my summary, it's what the article wrote. (I copied and pasted that 'summary' from the article itself)
    Also, this is an enneagram subforum, and I specifically labeled the thread as something pertaining to E1s.... so why are you talking about Te and Ti (socionics stuff)?

Your talk about socionics makes sense, but, your closing line seems quite out of place...

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    > can be called perfectionism.
    Yeah I have noticed that TiNe's often think themselves as perfectionists. Although I usually have different idea how "perfect", that perfection really is As it can seem more like compulsiveness about some small irrelevant thing, and holding on to that thing actually can result in poorer and less effective end result.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp