Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Types and learning style (Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic)

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stan is not my real name.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is no; these would only represent the way the person is used to learning. Socionics says nothing about which sense someone will prefer to use when learning from other people, but of course a person will learn best when behaving in the same way that he usually behaves when learning - though this may also be related to the topic being learned (for instance, I could imagine a person learning best kinetically in math class and auditorily in history class, simply because that is how the subject was first introduced and what he has come to associate with that subject).

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno, I would be inclined to say that all have an equal effectiveness when it comes to me however truth be told I might be a bit better at kinesthetic than the other two.
    Easy Day

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Students associated with [kinesthetic] learning style are thought to be natural discovery learners; they have realizations through doing, as opposed to having thought first before initiating action....Kinesthetic learning is when someone learns things from doing or being part of them...struggle to pick things up by reading/listening to things."

This sounds to me like Sensors, especially SP's.

"Visual learners usually possess these qualities: have great instinctive direction; can easily visualize objects and the past...[Visual learners] create graphic organizers such as diagrams, webs and concept maps by selecting symbols to represent ideas and information. To show the relationships between ideas, students link the symbols and add words to further clarify meaning. By representing information spatially and with images, students are able to focus on meaning, reorganize and group similar ideas easily, make better use of their visual memory."

Sounds intuitive to me.

"Auditory learners may have a knack for ascertaining the true meaning of someone's words by listening to audible signals like changes in tone...
    Auditory learners tend to:
    Read to self out loud.
    Not be afraid to speak in class.
    Like oral reports.
    Be good at explaining.
    Remember names.
    Notice sound effects in movies.
    Enjoy music.
    Be good at grammar and foreign language.
    Read slowly.
    Follow spoken directions well.
    Have trouble keeping quiet for long periods.
    Enjoy acting, being on stage...
    good at storytelling
    solves problems by talking them through"

Many of these seem to be

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    I dunno, I would be inclined to say that all have an equal effectiveness when it comes to me however truth be told I might be a bit better at kinesthetic than the other two.
    I would say you are kinesthetic more than anything. I am extremely visual.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm primarily a visual learner.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I particularly emphasize any of those; I identify with traits from each.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm mostly visual. After that I'm Auditory. I'm not Kinesthetic at all.

For example, playing pool if someone points to where I should be hitting the ball, I get it. If they tell me the concept of hitting one side of the ball to make it go the other way, I get it. If I go to actually do it, I might not hit it right at all though (while knowing the concept). I can play pool perfectly in my mind though!

I know an ISFp who is not visual or auditory at all and has a hard time "picturing" something from a verbal description over the phone. She's so kinesthetic though. Where as I could completely picture a description of say, a purse, from someone telling me the description over the phone. She really needs to see it in person and pick it up.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed a miniature trend already (if all your signatures can be trusted)
    3 ego types - visual
    2 ego types - kinesthetic
    0 audio so far.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stanprollyright View Post
    I would say you are kinesthetic more than anything. I am extremely visual.
    Why? (For me being kinesthetic)
    Easy Day

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm audio/visual learner, but I read a study that said people have the highest rate of learning/remembering something when they actually participate in the activity or do the activity. So this could either mean that the majority of people are kinesthetic learners, or different classes use different learning styles, and therefore you need/use all, but just different amounts depending on what you expose yourself to.

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by look.to.the.sky View Post
    I'm audio/visual learner, but I read a study that said people have the highest rate of learning/remembering something when they actually participate in the activity or do the activity. So this could either mean that the majority of people are kinesthetic learners, or different classes use different learning styles, and therefore you need/use all, but just different amounts depending on what you expose yourself to.
    The majority of people are supposedly visual. Just about everyone learns better by doing, but I think kinesthetic learning is marked by a deficiency in learning other ways and an increased retainment of what is learned by doing. An example: I am a visual learner, so the best way for me to remember how to get somewhere is written directions, or visualizing a map in my head. Spoken directions I can remember if I concentrate. It obviously gets easier for me to find a place once I have been there before, but that still doesn't exempt me from wrong turns. I use visual memory to determine if I'm going the right way. A kinesthetic learner is the kind that once they make to somewhere the first time they will never get lost going there again.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The majority of people are supposedly visual. Just about everyone learns better by doing, but I think kinesthetic learning is marked by a deficiency in learning other ways and an increased retainment of what is learned by doing. An example: I am a visual learner, so the best way for me to remember how to get somewhere is written directions, or visualizing a map in my head. Spoken directions I can remember if I concentrate. It obviously gets easier for me to find a place once I have been there before, but that still doesn't exempt me from wrong turns. I use visual memory to determine if I'm going the right way. A kinesthetic learner is the kind that once they make to somewhere the first time they will never get lost going there again.
    I dunno if your on the right track but that definatly applies to me, I get lost as fuck the first time I go anyplace new (driving). Srsly, I was once lost trying to find the high-way for 2 and a half hours when I literally started my epic voyage of pissed off lostedness 15miniutes from it.

Note: Normally getting lost doesn't piss me off unless It's making me late for an appointment but I had a phone call to make that I couldn't make and concentrate on getting un-lost at the same time so I had to wait for High-way to make it.

But after the 1st time I find something I rarely (if ever) get lost a second time.
    Easy Day

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    Why? (For me being kinesthetic)
    There's this: The Fine Line Between ADHD and Kinesthetic Learners - Free Article

And this:
    "The kinesthetic learner usually does well in things such as chemistry experiments, sporting activities, and acting. They also may listen to music while learning or studying. It is common for kinesthetic learners to focus on two different things at the same time. They also have very high hand-eye co-ordination and very quick receptors."

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BALLS DUDE! that's totally me lol I always get up to use the bathroom in any class over 50 minutes (and sometimes even in those classes) whether or not i have to regardless, and every chance I have to get up and move I always take it.

Good call
    Easy Day

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if we count jewels' friend and look.to.the.sky we have:
    4 ego types - visual
    3 SP's - kinesthetic

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
    I am, without a doubt, a kinesthetic learner.

... and I'm SP.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    This site says that 65% of people are visual, 30% are auditory and 5% are kinesthetic, so I think correlations with type are only slight. I'd expect SPs to be overrepresented in the kinesthetic population though.
    I don't think you're going to find any reliable statistics, because I've seen a bunch. Also, some people consider Tactile Learning to be different from Kinesthetic. Most stats do agree that visual is the majority, auditory is second, and kinesthetic/tactile is/are the rarest, but I've heard stuff like 55%, 38%, 7% and 65%, 20&, 15%.

Octopuslove, What's your type?

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If octopuslove is truly an IEI, we stand here:

5 intuitives - visual
    4 SP's - kinesthetic

I would guess kinesthetic for Allie, who is an SJ, but still a sensor...

Maybe the lack of auditory learners has to do with the medium somehow. The fact that a forum is communication exclusively via writing may not be very appealing to auditory learners.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm decidedly a visual learner. I forget things I hear, and "learning by moving" always seemed slow and inefficient to me. So I guess that's one more Ne ego in the "visual learner" column...
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to figure out for me. However, I know that I am good at oral exams over written.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post

- Sitting in World History class—which was 100% lecture-style learning—I spent the 90 minutes drawing all over my notes. I didn't learn shit and I failed.

- I avoided taking notes in my Chemistry class because when I take notes I tend to stop listening to the teacher and then I'm left with neat, organized notes that might as well be gibberish to me since I have no idea what they mean. I failed at first but once I stopped taking notes I did well.
    Doesn't sound very auditory-ish

- In Biology I had no idea what was going on and so I partnered with two boys who wanted to do all the dissections in order to get out of doing work. Upon pig fetus dissection day I was so frustrated by their incompetence that I ended up taking over and doing the whole dissection myself even though I didn't really know what I was doing. Apparently I did though, since I did it perfectly lol- I sucked at Drama (couldn't memorize shit and I detest being put in the spotlight heh), I was good in P.E. (really competitive and I enjoyed getting to move around).
    Sounds kinesthetic

- Any kind of math that's even remotely algebraic I fail at (Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Algebra II; I never made it to Pre-Calculus lol). But I was really good with Geometry and Statistics. I think this is because they felt very obvious, like the answers were right there in front of me and not abstract or anything.

- Ummm, I was always good at art, but I'm not so sure that counts as learning.
    Sounds as strong sensing somehow (or weak intuition, as a pessimist would say)

- I never did graphic organizers because I found them totally pointless.
    Doesn't sound very visual-ish

- I never did any outside of school assignments (i.e., homework) because I just never got around to it. But I test well, so that's that.
    Being a nerd is cooler than you think

VERDICT:

kinesthetic learner
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Hard to figure out for me. However, I know that I am good at oral exams over written.
    Like Monica Lewinsky

ILE "Searcher"

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Like Monica Lewinsky

Monica apparently got graded A, from her oral examination
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Students associated with [kinesthetic] learning style are thought to be natural discovery learners; they have realizations through doing, as opposed to having thought first before initiating action....Kinesthetic learning is when someone learns things from doing or being part of them...struggle to pick things up by reading/listening to things."

This sounds to me like Sensors, especially SP's.
    I agree

"Visual learners usually possess these qualities: have great instinctive direction; can easily visualize objects and the past...[Visual learners] create graphic organizers such as diagrams, webs and concept maps by selecting symbols to represent ideas and information. To show the relationships between ideas, students link the symbols and add words to further clarify meaning. By representing information spatially and with images, students are able to focus on meaning, reorganize and group similar ideas easily, make better use of their visual memory."

Sounds intuitive to me.
    In my opinion, it sounds as weak intuition: they need graphic data because they are unable to visualize abstract concepts in their minds

It sounds also as rationality to me

"Auditory learners may have a knack for ascertaining the true meaning of someone's words by listening to audible signals like changes in tone...
    Auditory learners tend to:
    Read to self out loud.
    Not be afraid to speak in class.
    Like oral reports.
    Be good at explaining.
    Remember names.
    Notice sound effects in movies.
    Enjoy music.
    Be good at grammar and foreign language.
    Read slowly.
    Follow spoken directions well.
    Have trouble keeping quiet for long periods.
    Enjoy acting, being on stage...
    good at storytelling
    solves problems by talking them through"

Many of these seem to be
    I see it as strong intuition, that can figure things out by listening some abstract concepts

It sounds also as irrationality to me
    Last edited by 1981slater; 08-07-2009 at 11:29 AM.
    ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Monica apparently got graded A, from her oral examination
    Definitely!
    ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the record: I am probably an auditory learner and a little bit visual too
    Last edited by 1981slater; 08-07-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, like Monica, but I haven't found such a powerful examiner yet.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yes, like Monica, but I haven't found such a powerful examiner yet.
    Try in the G-8 summits. Don't forget Angie is a girl

ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome. visual learners
    ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Mimosa Pudica, you could make a good secret agent
    ILE "Searcher"

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stanprollyright
    Sounds intuitive to me.

In my opinion, it sounds as weak intuition: they need graphic data because they are unable to visualize abstract concepts in their minds

It sounds also as rationality to me
    I think visual spatial intuition/thinking is , discovery is often first comes to a visual learner/conceptual thinker long before there is any prior knowledge. There is a reason why 's dual function is , physical sensory perception. In many ways I think this is related to right brain thinking.

I see it as strong intuition, that can figure things out by listening some abstract concepts
    Auditory learners, I've found typically have good memory of dialogue, formulas and verbal communication including written language. It's a very symbol dense and logic dense form of thinking. These are typically abstract thinkers and left-brain thinkers, the abstractions and taken for what they are, new concepts can be derived from symbolic transformation.

is still based in object reality, and requires perception of real world phenomena, not merely some words on a page. Words read still need to be imagined, so prior experience is required.

In this sense is always searching for new sensory experiences.
    Last edited by mu4; 08-07-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think I'm a Visual out of all those.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

My visual learning is the worst ever. I could not keep my eyes open in class and the teacher knew that I would get small visual migraines and had to look away or close my eyes and receive the information by auditory or by touch. This is the reason why I could not look through a microscope in class and got really poor lab scores in biology even though I loved the topics. All information goes into my brain like pictures...math goes into my brain like a picture...everything.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a visual learner, for whatever statistics are being gathered. I've learned how to hand auditory information out of simple need, but I've never been able to remember dialogue verbatim; only the subtext.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always thought visual learning was more Ne / auditory was more Ni / Kinesthetic was like Se mostly

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratXII View Post
    I've always thought visual learning was more Ne / auditory was more Ni / Kinesthetic was like Se mostly
    Se is all the senses isn't it?

Don't Se polr's have lack of feeling objects around them?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I learn best from very compact, consise definitions and reference tables. I also need to work with things to properly remember them, though.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I greatly dislike it when people try to teach me something by telling me a story, and I am always suspicious of visual representations because the truth is usually too complex to conveniently lend itself to being visualized.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am an auditory learner. I can picture things I've seen somewhat, but I can re-imagine things I've heard much, much better. I don't know if I'm not a kinesthetic learner for real or if I decided I wasn't when I took the tests to see if I was.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast