Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Relationships and rallying, driver and navigator

  1. #1
    sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Relationships and rallying, driver and navigator

    I was thinking about relationships and Rallying.

    In rallying you have a driver and a navigator. Each of them are crucial for the success of the team.

    Now, if we think about relationships you can get:
    A driver and a navigator - ideal
    two drivers - where you have the second driver instructing the first about how to drive the car instead of watching the map
    two navigators - I'm not sure what might happen here but for sure the one at the wheel is not driving the car as well as he could
    and a navigator in the driver seat with a driver in the navigator seat - same scenario as with two drivers only a little bit worst because the navigator driving would have to handle both his poor driving skills and the constant nagging of the driver in the navigator seat.

    Is this metaphor valid for betas only?
    Is the driver the extrovert or the sensor? I think it is the sensor.

    What do you think?
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

    I chose Love

  2. #2
    Poster Nutbag The Exception's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    my own personal bubble
    TIM
    LII-Ne
    Posts
    4,108
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post

    Is this metaphor valid for betas only?
    Is the driver the extrovert or the sensor? I think it is the sensor.

    What do you think?
    I think the metaphor applies to all types.

    I think sensor makes the most sense for the driver. I see the navigator as more intuitive- someone who anticipates and plans for the next move.

    This metaphor reminds me of socionics relationships. Two drivers or two navigators reminds me of identical relations. The strengths are the same but you also have the same weaknesses and overlook the same sorts of things. A driver and a navigator reminds me of the duality relationship. People with complementary skills who need each other. The navigator in the driver seat and the driver in the navigator seat reminds me of two people trying to use their weak functions and failing miserably. Like an LII trying to act ESE and vice versa.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP



  3. #3
    ILE - ENTp 1981slater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Spain
    TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Posts
    4,866
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default x

    In a relationship, the static is the "boss", and the dynamic is the "follower"

    So the boss can be either the driver or the navigator, since the sensor is the driver and the intuitive is the navigator, as you said
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

    To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

  4. #4
    sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    In a relationship, the static is the "boss", and the dynamic is the "follower"

    So the boss can be either the driver or the navigator, since the sensor is the driver and the intuitive is the navigator, as you said
    so, I guess that a sensor dynamic driver coupled with a intuitive static navigator is closer to the GPS telling the driver what to do.
    A sensor static driver with a intuitive dynamic navigator is closer to a driver consulting a silent GPS just to make sure they are on the right track.
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

    I chose Love

  5. #5
    Creepy-male

    Default

    I'd assume that for the irrational Judicious dyads, the Ne driver decides where to go, while the Si navigator makes sure they actually get there.

  6. #6
    Currently God Brilliand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    4,246
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sensor is driver, Intuitive is navigator, Dynamic handles the details, Static knows things that aren't changing from moment to moment.

    -Ne knows the destination
    -Si watches the road
    -Se knows the route
    -Ni watches the destination

    @sigma: Yes, that sounds about the same.



    LII-Ne

    "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

    Johari

  7. #7
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Innately heterosexist and stupid.

    ((I'm sorry if this hurts you but you wanted my honest opinion I assume.))

    Also I don't know why you think you're Beta. You are clearly Delta.

    You might say that, the heterosexist formula is how all life is created. (even that is stretching things but for the sake of the arguement I'll agree with you) But what makes substance and meaning and lasting emotion? What's wrong with both people driving? Why do you assume that there has to be a navigator? Both people could be drivers and they both could know where they're going, or they could take turns.

    Just cause two people want to drive at the same time does not necessarily mean that they'll clash because there's just too much other information to take into consideration. It's like when two people say something at the same time and people go JINX. Similarities don't clash. It's just people hate themselves too much.

    "I have a dick. You have a dick. Yeah we're not gonna make something rubbing our dicks together but it still feels good."

    Also how is a pussy the opposite of a dick anyway?

    Does a pussy complement a dick if the man isn't attracted to the psychology of the woman?

    Aren't you more than a puzzle piece?

    I'm just saying...

  8. #8
    Currently God Brilliand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    4,246
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You consider complementary things heterosexual? There's a place for "birds of a feather flock together" but it should be obvious that it's easier to get somewhere if one person knows where they're going and the other deals with what's right in front of him - rather then both people doing one or the other. (Both people doing both would make sense, though it's more effort).

    Y'know, there's nothing wrong with two drivers putzing around in a car for fun - but like in your homosexual example, nothing's going to come out of it.



    LII-Ne

    "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

    Johari

  9. #9
    sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Innately heterosexist and stupid.

    ((I'm sorry if this hurts you but you wanted my honest opinion I assume.))

    Also I don't know why you think you're Beta. You are clearly Delta.

    You might say that, the heterosexist formula is how all life is created.
    I don't know if you addressed you post to me but I'll answer as it would have been. If you were addressing another participant in the thread, please ignore my answer.

    I see you touch the topic of heterosexuality and I fail to understand how did what was said in this topic even touched the gender of the participants in the metaphor (driver, navigator)

    Are you feeling frustrated because you have a need for consideration of your sexual orientation that is not being met by the way I express myself?

    In what I express here on this forum and elsewhere I will most likely have a bias towards expressing the ideas in a heterosexual way because I am heterosexual and this is what comes easier. I'm not a fan of political correctness as I found it unnecessarily cluttering the discussion. I have no prejudice towards homosexuals.

    Regarding the apologize for the hypothetical hurting, you have nothing to apologize for. If I am feeling hurt reading something that you say, it is not your saying that does the hurting but my own attitude and interpretation. These I can control so I have full responsibility for how I feel.

    If you think I'm a Delta, you are most likely thinking that I am an EII... however, from the interaction I had with both SLEs and LSEs I can tell you that the difference in the quality of the interaction is... well... let's say.. HUGE... in favor of SLE
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

    I chose Love

  10. #10
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Niffweed: 1
    Cohesive Beta quadra: 0

  11. #11
    not a bumblebee octo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    Cohesive Beta quadra: 0
    That's the way it should be. Betas only find other betas to be worthy adversaries. :wink:
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

  12. #12
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've experienced this literally with my sle friend. we go for motorcycle rides together. he drives and I navigate. perfect. he sometimes consults me on his moves and when we go somewhere new I'm usually in charge of finding it (I'm strangely good at following my nose, we've never gotten lost).
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  13. #13
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ack just no. NO. 95% of you people have no idea what you are talking about. Go outside. Throw a ball around. Look at nature. I don't know, spit on yourself. Drool. Anything! But stop posting your mental diarrhea for the world to see. Think about the children.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •