Thread: Academic Study vs Practical Application

Creepy-Cyclops

Default Academic Study vs Practical Application.

Hey, sorry if the title of this thread sounds like it promises to deliver so much

Just a random observation really.

I've noticed a tendency for Fi types to do well in exams, better than Te types, but Te types are much better at applying the knowledge in practice, like using the academic qualifications for an actual job.

It seems to me that Fi types focus more on studying and block learning, whereas Te types are better at thinking on their feet. Sort of explains why getting the best grade doesn't always mean the best at the job. An indication of strengths also.

Oh i'm not trying to say this is the only reason for such a thing, and of course other factors can affect individual cases such as if there is a large difference in intelligence, but it's an overall view when given things being more or less equal.

I haven't really thought about Ti/Fe types!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I think that it's somewhat true. At the very least, it matches my own observations. F types often have better scores on exams/tests than T types (if we equalize a bit for ability, so without comparing a really smart T with a really dumb F). F tends to be more insecure in their knowledge and ability to think on their feet, for obvious reasons, thus they tend to compensate by studying more, and actively questioning a little bit less (they might think that it's all bullshit, but they can swallow a little bit more easily, given that there's always an "I might be wrong" voice in the background).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-male

Interesting.

In my fairly exacting school, I notice the IEEs and EIIs spilling out to other areas to focus on. In my and one of my friend's cases, that's preparing for a career in psychology, and spending time and effort on that. Another IEE just can't be screwed, which is also part of my problem.

An LSE and LIE are far more focused on achieving in school, but I think that's because they have a focus on a degree with a fairly high entry requirement.

Anyway, I'll have to ask them. I understand that a lot of the Alphas and Deltas are adopting a "can't be screwed" attitude, but there are obviously representatives of every quadra scattered through the school rankings.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Practical Application in the working world could very well be related to Te but if you're talking about a base, raw practicality I think Betas are pretty street smart and not that naive about things, even if we are not all that successful ourselves.

'Real world success' tends to be defined primarily by Gammas and Deltas anyway, so I don't see how you can include the quadras who never really played the game much to begin with.

I suppose I'm too honest to succeed. I don't care if somebody is higher than me. If somebody is acting like a cocksucker, I want either me or an SLE to point it out to them. Fuck his position. It doesn't matter as much as being right. Power is a dynamic, fickle-y thing.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

F tends to be more insecure in their knowledge and ability to think on their feet
    Bullshit. I've never been insecure when it came to knowledge and I've thought on my feet just fine, and I'm a feeling type. My insecurities derive from social situations where there's no easy answers, but in academia the answers tend to be so focused that there's really only one way you can say things, even if it looks like there's 'diversity' there's not, there's just fancier ways to say things.

Again you have to kinda get over the idea that logic/feelings are somehow opposites or a dichotomy.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps you don't feel that way, but 95 percent of the F people I know do, so I still think it's a perfectly fine observation.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

What about practical study and academic application?

Because people don't focus on this enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I've noticed a tendency for Fi types to do well in exams, better than Te types, but Te types are much better at applying the knowledge in practice, like using the academic qualifications for an actual job.
    I don't think this really applies to any other Fi-type than FiNe, and less so to NeFi's. As FiNe's put really much effort in their studying. Gamma-SF's often aren't good at/interested in studying.

I was slacking in school, but I still did well.
    Last edited by Warlord; 08-04-2009 at 04:08 PM.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Gamma-SF's often aren't good at/interested in studying.
    Well, in my neighborhoods this is not true. ISFjs are one of the most duty-bound type in school matters, and usually do very well thanks to the hard effort (I often think they're wasting a lot of time studying excessively, but that's another matter).

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yes, I think that it's somewhat true. At the very least, it matches my own observations. F types often have better scores on exams/tests than T types (if we equalize a bit for ability, so without comparing a really smart T with a really dumb F). F tends to be more insecure in their knowledge and ability to think on their feet, for obvious reasons, thus they tend to compensate by studying more, and actively questioning a little bit less (they might think that it's all bullshit, but they can swallow a little bit more easily, given that there's always an "I might be wrong" voice in the background).
    Yes, I've also seen this.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, well I do very well on written tests, but I never study
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Hmmm, well I do very well on written tests, but I never study
    Intelligence is a bitch to have.

Fly through the first four years of school on common sense and reasoning, and then sit on the 70% mark for leaving

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    It seems to me that Fi types focus more on studying and block learning, whereas Te types are better at thinking on their feet. Sort of explains why getting the best grade doesn't always mean the best at the job. An indication of strengths also.
    My sense of equality tells me that this might not be true.

I see knowledge and wisdom separated by action. If you act according to the knowledge you have, you are wise. The importance we give to certain aspects of knowledge is different but in acting we are all alike. We all fight Resistance and we all loose the battle in our own way.
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yawn.