Thread: Ability to tell how much time has passed without looking at your watch

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Ability to tell how much time has passed without looking at your watch

What types are the best at this?

I think types with strong are good at this. Those that are the best probably have as their base function but I think those with as a demonstrative (8th) function are quite good at it too.

I'm quite good at this- is in the 8th position for me
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I consider myself to be good with time issues. Maybe it's just that I do pay attention to it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this one time i was cooking a pizza for 25 minutes and i hadn't checked it since i put it in, so i got up instinctively and walked in there to check it right as it was counting down from 10 seconds. then i pushed 'oven off' right at 1 second and didnt have to hear the beep. it was pretty amazing

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratXII View Post
    this one time i was cooking a pizza for 25 minutes and i hadn't checked it since i put it in, so i got up instinctively and walked in there to check it right as it was counting down from 10 seconds. then i pushed 'oven off' right at 1 second and didnt have to hear the beep. it was pretty amazing
    that happens to me 9/10... I shit you not.

I think I developed my time keeping superpowers over those years that I was a doughnut fryer/bread baker. I've had a freakishly accurate internal timer ever since I worked that job. It takes no focus of thought... something just goes off in my head after whatever amount of time has passed that says.. "it's done" I get up, walk to the oven and the timer goes off as I'm reaching to turn it off.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krae View Post
    if someone asks me and I am not trying - if I answer spontaneously - I get it right up to the minute. If I 'try' the precision fluctuates usually adding up 20 - 40 mins.

also I don't use clocks to wake me up, I think about the hour and the minute I want to wake up and it works.
    same for me. i think it is just a thing from modern society. we are bombarded with time all the time. everything is timed for us, television, radio, etc, we have clocks everywhere. i dunno. you just get good at it. realy don't think type related.
    asd

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    that happens to me 9/10... I shit you not.

I think I developed my time keeping superpowers over those years that I was a doughnut fryer/bread baker. I've had a freakishly accurate internal timer ever since I worked that job. It takes no focus of thought... something just goes off in my head after whatever amount of time has passed that says.. "it's done" I get up, walk to the oven and the timer goes off as I'm reaching to turn it off.
    Same diff here BG. Perhaps it goes hand-in-hand with delicious Si cooking.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm usually really good with this; I've had a lot of those same experiences like crazedrat's. My dad, who is EII, kind of prides himself on being able to guess the time accurately within 5 minutes without a watch; it's a little silly
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post

I think types with strong are good at this. Those that are the best probably have as their base function but I think those with as a demonstrative (8th) function are quite good at it too.

I have noticed this as well, and I came to the same conclusion. Although it is in the 8th function for LIIs and EIIs, they have a strong subconscious awareness of how time has advanced, which sometimes can make it appear more miraculous when it does occur. Though, I also think it is possible because I may have "learned time" from being a watch conscious person.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    Why would be better at it than other functions?
    involves an intuition of time, an awareness of how time unfolds in real time. Ni + Fe involves an awareness of dramatic or emotional timing, whereas Ni + Te involves an awareness of chronological or objective time. And of course, Ne + Ti was what first grasped relative time.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post

Me too...if I glance at something it usually kills about 2 minutes, if I think about something that usually takes anywhere from 10-30 minutes...either way, I usually have pretty good idea of what time it is...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... I agree with the awareness of "timing" when it comes to reactions, but I think it is misleading to think that gives an inner "timer". Very misleading, even?

As I understand , it has to do with seeing clearly how things are connected - past->present-> future, and that's the whole "time"-aspect of ???? And any "timer" function is not related to "intuition" at all, imo. It's related to an awareness of the present, if anything (and that, ime, isn't always the strongest point of Ni. :tongue
    Past, present, and future are constantly occurring, so the folding and unfolding of Ni is also occurring as well. If you have a sense for how something develops and will develop over time, you have to have some awareness of how time itself unfolds in real present time as a quotient of external activity.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Past, present, and future are constantly occurring, so the folding and unfolding of Ni is also occurring as well. If you have a sense for how something develops and will develop over time, you have to have some awareness of how time itself unfolds in real present time as a quotient of external activity.
    Blablablabla... It is exactly because of mumbojumbo like this that everyone has a different idea of what the functions are. The words mean next to nothing because there is nothing REAL in them. And what are the functions if not REALITY as percieved by us human beings and expressed through them?

I am Ni base and I am constantly lost in time and space (so my friends tell me and I tend to agree ). Sometimes I have damn good sense of time, sometimes none at all. So I don't think awareness of 'time' (the clock) necessarily is Ni.
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wittmont View Post
    Blablablabla... It is exactly because of mumbojumbo like this that everyone has a different idea of what the functions are. The words mean next to nothing because there is nothing REAL in them. And what are the functions if not REALITY as percieved by us human beings and expressed through them?
    Says the Te-PoLR.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Says the Te-PoLR.
    Lol I know

But your Te WAS just a lot of blablabla without any real significance to anything... I don't mind Te when it has substance and help me (and others) get a real handle on things. But when the Te is just overblown pretentious nonsense it isn't really helpful.

It is almost amusing to see people here spend years trying to wrap their heads around Te concepts such as 'Objects' and 'Fields' (just one example don't take it too literally) and how these Te concepts work in the context of the real world and with real people and then translate it into workable socionics...

If it really worked (ie the descriptions of the functions were unambiguous) there wouldn't be this complete subjective mess we are in right now with people typing other people differently all the fucking time. Even leading experts mistype all the time and that wouldn't be the case if the understanding of the functions truly was rock solid.
    INFp

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol I know

But your Te WAS just a lot of blablabla without any real significance to anything... I don't mind Te when it has substance and help me (and others) get a real handle on things. But when the Te is just overblown pretentious nonsense it isn't really helpful.

It is almost amusing to see people here spend years trying to wrap their heads around Te concepts such as 'Objects' and 'Fields' (just one example don't take it too literally) and how these Te concepts work in the context of the real world and with real people and then translate it into workable socionics...

If it really worked (ie the descriptions of the functions were unambiguous) there wouldn't be this complete subjective mess we are in right now with people typing other people differently all the fucking time. Even leading experts mistype all the time and that wouldn't be the case if the understanding of the functions truly was rock solid.
    Pretentious nonsense?

But there are many different reasons for the differences in typing that exist apart from what you listed:
    * poor understanding on the basic components
    * poor understanding on how the system fits together
    * poor understanding of how the prior two are observed in real life subjects
    * different interpretations (some of which derive from different schools of thought - e.g. Ashtonian)
    * personal feelings ("You're a X type, because I disagree with you." )
    Johari Box

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes I have damn good sense of time, sometimes none at all.
    Same here. It really depends on what I'm doing and what state of mind I'm in.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just ignore all the Te. Literally, my eyes skip right over it.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... I agree with the awareness of "timing" when it comes to reactions, but I think it is misleading to think that gives an inner "timer". Very misleading, even?

As I understand , it has to do with seeing clearly how things are connected - past->present-> future, and that's the whole "time"-aspect of ???? And any "timer" function is not related to "intuition" at all, imo. It's related to an awareness of the present, if anything (and that, ime, isn't always the strongest point of Ni. :tongue
    This.

It basically has a misleading name, like everything else in socionics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    This.

It basically has a misleading name, like everything else in socionics.
    Seeeeeeeeeeee!! These misleading names etc are exactly what confuses people!! I demand better descriptions that are non-confusing!!! *Throws hissyfit*
    INFp

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm excellent at this. My subconscious is better than my conscious though. If I set an alarm, you can bet I'll wake up a minute before it goes off, it never fails. If someone asks me the time, my first instinct is usually very close, if I think about it I usually change to something farther off.
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm horrible at telling what time it is. I stopped wearing a watch because I'd look at it, look away, and already not know what time it was again. Luckily there are clocks everywhere, and I'm very conscientious about getting places on time.

Time definitely speeds up & slows down in my perception depending on a large number of factors. I prefer to just go with it, although hen I "need" to apportion my time, I can do it. I came across a so-called mind-enhancing technique a few years ago that was supposed to use self-hypnosis to slow down your perception of time and speed up how your brain learns, but as I read through it I realized that it's something I do anyway, according to the situation. So I'm weak in the sense of knowing "what" time it is, but I'm good at getting into the moment to consciously slow time down or even speed it up (for example if I have to wait in line).
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

That's not a Te-concept, it's a good example of a Ti-concept.

Seeeeeeeeeeee!! These misleading names etc are exactly what confuses people!! I demand better descriptions that are non-confusing!!! *Throws hissyfit*
    If you are criticizing, at least have an idea what you are actually being critical of
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    That's not a Te-concept, it's a good example of a Ti-concept.

If you are criticizing, at least have an idea what you are actually being critical of
    Bah, it's fuzzy socionics "logics", I specifically told you Te guys not to take my example of fields and objects too literally lol. Don't ruin my perfectly valid rant by going techniqual darnit!!! lol
    INFp

Bah, it's fuzzy socionics "logics", I specifically told you Te guys not to take my example of fields and objects too literally lol. Don't ruin my perfectly valid rant by going techniqual darnit!!! lol
    I know, I wouldn't have said otherwise. But it's related to everything you've said.

Basically in your mind it's along the lines been:"We need better Te-descriptions, not this inaccurate Te"

But really your criticism is:"These Ti-descriptions are poor, we need Te-descriptions".

So I basically agree with your criticism, but the problem is not Te
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Today my dad cooked and he asked me how long I thought the meal took to make. I thought about it for three seconds and said "Twenty minutes" and I was exactly right.
    I've done that before, and thankfully the answer key on the side of the box told me I was right.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Te is dynamic. He wants things to stand still. I know him. :tongue:
    Bah I am Ni dynamic and Fe dynamic, which means I percieve reality in 64 frames per second (according to one of Reinin's dichotomies), maybe it is 2 x 64 = 128 frames per second since both of my leading functions are dynamic . No wonder IEI's are 'goofy' with that spin going on. Ofc I need some solid static Ti to slow me down. (Impeccable IEI logic there).
    INFp

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bah I am Ni dynamic and Fe dynamic, which means I percieve reality in 64 frames per second (according to one of Reinin's dichotomies), maybe it is 2 x 64 = 128 frames per second since both of my leading functions are dynamic . No wonder IEI's are 'goofy' with that spin going on. Ofc I need some solid static Ti to slow me down. (Impeccable IEI logic there).
    Everyone with at least one ego-block dynamic function has two. No need to double it.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm bad at predicting time.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must confess. I thought today was Monday, where as in fact today is today.