Thread: Moan

Creepy-Cyclops

Default Moan.

I'm working in a satellite office for a few weeks.

It seems from a social perspective I feel as thought I can never get it right.

Basically, i've been here for a few days and people keep asking me if i'm OK. Apparently i'm very quiet and they are assuming there is something wrong. As I see it, I don't have anything to say to anyone, no one else talks that much (so there is nothing to join in with) and i'm just getting on with my work.

In contrast, from previous experience, if I do engage in conversation, I often get labelled a lounge about who spends too much time chatting and apparently not doing much (even though productively I achieve lots, which then has been known to confuse people).

It seems from a social POV, I can never get things quite "right", whatever right is.

Sometimes I wish I could live in a bubble.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that in a new workplace a lot, too.

I feel lucky in my current batch of coworkers; they've gotten so used to me that I have been allowed to maneuver myself into a desk in a corner with my credenza blocking direct view of almost the entire rest of the office. I'm in a makeshift cave, and I can go for hours and hours without speaking to anyone. Most of my work comes in via email, too.

I still have to grunt out a half-dozen or so "morning"s, though; I'm trying to wear them down on that one. I'm trying out "the caffeine hasn't kicked in" and that seems to have discouraged one person from that piece of social fluff, but seven syllables versus two? Inefficient. (I'm *halfway* joking)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Creepy-Cyclops

People are too complicated and weird for me to fathom. lol @ socionics for trying it.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol You all are silly You're like loveable Oscar the Grouches, it's adorable That's when you learn to find an NeFi co-worker to walk in with and they do all the attention getting and speaking for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are great

Funny story: I was sitting next to my SLI friend as we watched a tennis match. The match was so entertaining that I totally forgot she was there and we didn't speak for an hour or so. Eventually, she looks over at me (with a slightly pained expression) and says "wow, this is quite a match, isn't it?"

I've known this woman for quite awhile and know that, for her, starting
    a conversation can sometimes be almost physically painful. I laughed, and said something to the effect of "well, it could be a great match it you didn't have to yak, yak, yak all the way through it"

She laughed.

Fortunately.

Oh – one more incident comes to mind. When we were first getting to know each other I made the deadly mistake of saying "you sure are quiet today." She pauses for a moment, then looks me squarely in the eye and says " I'm always quiet."

Lol.
    IEE

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so used to this sor of thing ths I hardly even give It a second thought when someone says that sort of thing to me. I've come to expect it and realize it's just a matter of time before someone asks me what's wrong. I really and truely don't care anymore. People will think what they want to think. Ugh I hated office work for this specific reason. I mean, why let it bother you...unless you're trying to make friends or something but I couldn't care less if they think I'm strange. Friends are too much work half the time anyway.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    I still have to grunt out a half-dozen or so "morning"s, though...
    I dislike that sort of things as much as you do. My theory is that most people is insecure by nature and gravitate toward thinking negative stuff about others. Social etiquette merely keeps that negative tendency controlled.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah everybody hates that sort of thing. Especially smart people.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    heh, I've been in that situation uncountable times, sometimes multiple times with the same people . What is wrong with being quiet anyway?
    Whatcha thinking?

If it makes you feel better, I have this exact same problem with Merry Extraverts. SLEs and ESEs especially, for some reason.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you may just be dealing with raw stupidity
    INTp

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So last night I repeatedly got asked why I hated life so much because I refused to dance. lol

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like this all the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Basically, i've been here for a few days and people keep asking me if i'm OK. Apparently i'm very quiet and they are assuming there is something wrong. As I see it, I don't have anything to say to anyone, no one else talks that much (so there is nothing to join in with) and i'm just getting on with my work.
    I personally like this in other ppl. Especially I they don't mind me talking instead. Cuz I will normally just talk. A LOT. About anything really. My self, stuff that I like, just random stuff. I'll insert questions to the other persons likes and dislikes, cuz this way I get a picture of what the other person is about. I have found out that SLIs like it when I do this but it's just my normal behavior. SLI-IEE ftw

On the other hand I really admire this quality in others as well. When I come to a new place the first thing I do is talk. I can't relax untill I feel I have gotten to know the other persons some what and they are positively inclined towards me. I really hate that, cuz I can littereally see my self running around chatting like a hyper kid trying to fit in (which I basically am ha ha)

Cyclops, do you get the same phrases from the same ppl everyday? Like "Hey cyclops, how's it hanging?" or something similar. I have noticed that ppl tend to do this with a quiet SLI. Makes me chuckle

and by the way, what's up with the Djamolidine Abdoujaparov? I thought I was the only one who still remembered him. LOL
    n00bIEE