Removed at User Request

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ephemeros View Post
    Yeah, the detective in that boring series.
    LII?
    I know the character doesn't fit any likely corresponding MBTI stereotype, but still somehow I think of him as socionics ESTp. An unusually "mellow" one.
    Greetings, ragnar
    ILI knowledge-seeker

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stereotypically INTp, imo. Extremely Te heavy. All the little details make the head of an INTj like myself spin.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
    I know the character doesn't fit any likely corresponding MBTI stereotype, but still somehow I think of him as socionics ESTp. An unusually "mellow" one.
    Definitely. He's even been typed by the russians as ESTp.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    YouTube - Columbo Fantastic Interrogation Example

Stereotypically INTp, imo. Extremely Te heavy. All the little details make the head of an INTj like myself spin.
    he's great. i can definitely see INTp or ESTp. INTp can sometimes be hard to spot, but i think there are quite a few who are kind of fast talking wise guys who don't miss many details.
    asd

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Imo, how he rationalizes can be taken as Ti, while how he explains and deals with people is rather Te?
    If we go on by this and labcoats typing. Actually he might not rationalize at all. He rather has an more or less vague Ni-idea from early on who is guilty and what happened, and also how to reveal it. So his seemingly aimless way of solving the crime, is partly an early laid Ni-idea how to entrap the guilty and also reflects that his idea actually is only vague but everconcretizing one.

He also talks a lot about his wife, that supports fi-valuing.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

As far as I know in real life, Ni types are very private. At least they don't talk about their spouse, except they are asked so.
    Yeah I'm very private. Don't have a wife, so can't tell if I would talk about her But about my family members I can tell random stuff to people, I might rather talk about them than myself, but I only talk about certain kinds of things about them. But I'm not interested talking about relationships irl. So if they have been married for long time, it might be a different kind of thing, rather than relationship talk.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I was just thinking out loud"

"It's just a theory"

"Why would she wanted to ..."

"Suppose it was you who..."

"Lieutenant, you are nuts"

"Lieutenant, you are crazy"

"Lieutenant, you got the solution"

ILE ILE ILE ILE ILE ILE ILE ILE ILE ILE ILE ILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with typing Columbo is that he's such a mysterious character. Is he really the bumbling simpleton he appears to be, and just sort of stumbles into solving all these cases? Is he secretly a genius who has it all figured out from the start, and is just tricking the murderer into confessing? Is he a regular cop with some odd mannerisms and a good work ethic? Is he some sort of alien having difficulty mimicking human behaviour? Whatever you see as Columbo's "real personality" will influence how you type him.

For what it's worth, he seems LSI to me. He systematically puts all the evidence together, piece by piece, focusing on the details of evidence rather than theories, until he puts the whole puzzle together and does his big reveal at the end. I say LSI over SLE because he's quieter and milder than most SLEs, and has a more methodical IJ way of solving crimes, rather than a more active, shake-things-up SLE style. He is reminiscient of DCS Foyle from "Foyle's War" in that way, who I also believe is LSI.
    Quaero Veritas.

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post

"It's just a theory"

He doesn't really mean it, when he says stuff like that, it's a trick to fool the suspect.

INTp

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Details: or ?

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post

INTp

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    What sort of details?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    Warlord & aixelsyd: detailed as an ESE?
    Uh yeah, they can be very anal about stuff. For example look how Maliafee describes her dual, in that thread. It's nothing but list of insignificant details. Mostly in case of FeSi's it's directed at aesthetics. You think that they are "big picture" people instead?

INTp

Creepy-Cyclops

Columbo, is this the guy that goes, "Oh, and another thing"?

I notice this more in dynamic irrational introverts. Sort of the afterthought thing. He doesn't show much in the way of Fe.

So it ties in with him being IXTp, and the arguments for INTp over ISTp have been more convincing. I haven't really ruled out Judicious over Decisive fwiw.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Columbo, is this the guy that goes, "Oh, and another thing"?

I notice this more in dynamic irrational introverts. Sort of the afterthought thing. He doesn't show much in the way of Fe.

So it ties in with him being IXTp, and the arguments for INTp over ISTp have been more convincing. I haven't really ruled out Judicious over Decisive fwiw.

"It's just a theory"

ILE "Searcher"

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Creepy-Cyclops

hi
    I'm not sure if ENTp's do it, but it's the sort of dynamic process where more often than not, the most important thought comes at the end. It's then vocalised, sort of like the guys been daydreaming, in a way.

This isn't the same as "thinking out loud" and theories and such that you put down. Your quotes sound like new ideas from the start, or information gathering, to me this afterthought and how he does it - "Oh, and another thing), is more like ending conclusions. If I can explain it better I might try later.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see Columbo as XLE, probably more ILE. I think his method of solving crimes is an entirely extraverted approach where he is always on his feet pestering everyone, especially the guilty party, until he finally gets the evidence he needs for an arrest. I agree that he always zeroes in on the guilty party before he has the motive, proof, evidence or just general understanding of how and why and when everything in the crime happened. He pesters who he thinks is probably guilty for the entire episode until things come together enough that he can finally arrest the person. It's thinking on your feet, essentially. I'm not even sure that he even "knows" intuitively who the guilty party is, it's more that after pestering everyone he keeps coming back to the same person, the one who doesn't make sense. I think that he's probably using Ti more than intuition. I also see him as someone who has a shitty relationship with his wife (?) because he's always seen in bars talking about her and drinking away his depression about his shitty personal life. I think that Fi PoLR is a much better match than Fi HA or DS. I think I remember him also getting his foot in his mouth a lot in interactions with others where he says the wrong thing and offends them and then has to calm them down (because it's not apparent he's stepping on people's toes until they show that they're visibly upset, and then he pays attention to that and tries to calm them down again). Basically I think that he values Fe, but it's weak. I kind of would see it as unlikely for most IPs, especially Ni IPs to have the motivation to continually follow everyone around pestering them and taking this kind of active approach to solving the crime. He's very active, all the time.

---

PS. both ESEs I know talk in details a lot. They sometime list every detail they know about something. This happens a lot at work and at first I thought it was more Te, but now I'm starting to agree it's Si (I'm not sure yet, and I had dismissed this because I think Myers-Briggs defines Si that way and I was kind of throwing it out as another MB thing), but I've been thinking it makes sense.

Creepy-bg

I love loki's description of Columbo. it's right on the mark. he does just pester everybody until he gets the guilty party to confess.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I see Columbo as XLE, probably more ILE. I think his method of solving crimes is an entirely extraverted approach where he is always on his feet pestering everyone, especially the guilty party, until he finally gets the evidence he needs for an arrest. [etc.]
    I suppose whether you see him as Intuitive or Sensing would have to do with whether you think his whole "bumbling" thing is an act, or his real behaviour. I agree, though, that he solves his cases in a very Ti manner -- fitting together puzzle pieces, as it were.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

He works as an ILE: with his he knows the solution at the beginning of the show, then he has to move backwards to bring the pieces together ()
    ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

He works as an ILE: with his he knows the solution at the beginning of the show, then he has to move backwards to bring the pieces together (), in other words, to convince non-Ne leading types
    ILE "Searcher"

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    I suppose whether you see him as Intuitive or Sensing would have to do with whether you think his whole "bumbling" thing is an act, or his real behaviour. I agree, though, that he solves his cases in a very Ti manner -- fitting together puzzle pieces, as it were.
    I think that my issue with SLE is I don't really see much Se or something. I don't know that his approach really suggests one over the other... for instance if he's SLE maybe he zeroes in on the killer through his careful scrutiny of everyone's physical reactions to him and his questioning, noting every subtle nuance and pondering what it means. I don't know what mechanism he's using exactly. But he does keep coming back to the same person and pointing out all of the contradictions in what they had said before with what he knows now, asking them to explain them. He always acts as though that explains it, even as his suspicion is clearly growing. I mean I kind of think his zeroing in on the culprit is instinctive and I have no idea what kind of instinct it is really. I think his bumbling is both an act and his natural way of approaching things. I think that he works best thinking on his feet (which I could see working for ILE or SLE). He does try to act like a moron sometimes so that the bad guys don't know just how much of a threat he really is, writing him off as an insignificant pest (he does this on purpose so they always feel they have the upper hand and can outwit him). He basically employs the "scattered" approach, acting like a scatter brain. I don't know why I feel he's ILE > SLE... it's just I do. I think that it's his Ti though that brings them all down in the end.

This is really all just theoretical. He's not really any type at all. His personality traits are a plot device, collection of quirks and part Peter Falk's own personality. Nowhere they are explained (purposedly), the explanations people are saying are just their projections of how they interpret them. It's just entertaining to see what people come up with.

INTp