Thread: Social cycle and quadra influences

Creepy-Cyclops

Default Social cycle and quadra

This is something that I discussed fairly recently with a friend. I thought i'd put it out there for your perusal.

As I understand it, the socion sees quadra progression as going from alpha-beta-gamma-delta.

Although this may be true in some cases, It would seem that in terms of at least societal progression, societies do not really move through the four quadras, but really they cycle between three of them.

It would be that this cycle goes alpha-gamma-beta-alpha.

I see it that an aspect of social science, known as social progression law, is really a way to represent the quadras movement in a society.

Social progression goes from intellectual-aquisitor-warrior-intellectual. The fourth social type, the labourers occupy a special place within this.

The labourers do not have a social effect as such in society, they tend only to dominate if they do, for an extremely short period. However the labourers are essential to the society, as any society could not function without these people. So the labourers are sort of there but yet apart from it.

I think social progression law is representing the four quadras as thus:

Alphas - intellectuals
    Beta - warriors
    Gammas - aquisitors
    Delta - labourers.

So therefore intellectual (alpha) - aquisitors (gamma)
    - warriors (beta)

In times of plenty, the society has the age of the aquisitors (gammas), where commerce is plenty and there are many opportunities to create success and such financial endeavours. After a while this starts to run itself out, and in that new problems arise to the society. People become fearful of loosing what they have in such a scenario, the opportunities for such commerce are not what they were, therefore the warrior type/culture of society comes into play. Protecting what's already there, pushing into new territory by force to protect the wealth against other societies. After some time when this threat dies down, people look for a new change, away from both. It then becomes the age of the intellectuals-the alphas. Such things can perhaps be demonstrated when societies go through what is often called the Enlightenment period.

These conditions set by the Alphas, the intellectuals, sets the premise and leaves open opportunities for the gammas, the aquisitors come back into play, to make opportunities for trade, for aquiring things, for endeavour such as these, and therefore the cycle continues.

Each age of society requires the deltas, the labourers, in order to survive and provide the essential needs for each to exist and thrive, but they do not have an 'age' themselves.

I suppose this could represent political influences of the society also.

The law of social progression can be read here, if it's ok i'll post the link rather than copy or paste it, a summary from wikipedia:

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Social_Cycle

Edit: I apologise in advance if there are any typing errors above: i'm typing from a cell phone on a long train journey home, I suppose looking for ways to keep myself occupied! Which isn't to say I don't think this could be interesting.
    Last edited by Cyclops; 07-20-2009 at 11:29 PM.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just some quick notes...

I think you might like Rick's ideas about socionics connections with: country politics history war commerce etc.

I remember him saying that USA is gamma, because of the commerce and war.
    Germany is Beta because of the technics, reliability and war.
    The Netherlands (my country) was Delta ruled because of their naivity towards foreigners.

It seemed he reasoned along the lines of, Gamma is Se and Ni, so first they want to conquer a country (Se) and then think of what to develop on it (Ni)

Same reasoning for other quadra's similar to what you described, though I can't remember the details.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is all far too speculative of an idea.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Creepy-Cyclops

@Jarno, thanks for the info.

@Logos, which part do you refer to? The law of social cycle? Or drawing a parallel of said social cycle to socionics quadras?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about:
    Judicious vs. Decisive: Peace vs. War
    Merry vs. Serious: Intellectuals vs. Acquisitors

Society moves from peaceful intellectuals (Alpha) to peaceful acquisitors (Delta) to competitive acquisitors (Gamma - resources are getting scarce) to competitive intellectuals (researching battle tactics, resources are too scarce to gain a military advantage through acquisition so the search is for knowledge) to peaceful intellectuals (because it's stupid to fight over knowledge, so once Beta forgets that they're fighting over resources they move to Alpha). Of course that turns the previous quadra progression theory exactly backwards...

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola's Avatar
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    This is all far too speculative of an idea.
    No you shut up. I want to be an intellectual.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request