Thread: my E type

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default my E type

I've always considered myself a 5, but I'm starting to realize that I might be more interested in maintaining a sense of harmony than understanding the world, but these things seem intertwined. If I can understand what's happening in a situation and maybe relate that situation to a bigger principle, I think I'll have a better hand to offer someone in need of help and put everyone at ease.

So am I a 5 or a 9?
    What's the best way to go about figuring this out?
    The saddest ESFj

Creepy-male

Have you considered 1 at all, also?

As a Nine, I'm drawn to socionics because it gives me a nice, clean system to make life less scarily confusing and chaotic; a Five perhaps would keep finding fault with socionics and struggle constantly with "nothing can be known".

LII: "See, my problem with socionics is that you notice all these frayed edges, right? And they keep going and going, and you follow them, until you realize that you're in new, different fields of psychology altogether."
    Me: *Gul's eyes glaze over*
    LII: "I crit you for 5000 points of extended analogy. You faint."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, I'm sure that if you followed those "frayed edges" you would find some problems, but I don't think that helps anyone. It's not productive. If you have a system that helps, but might not be completely proven, I would go with that system.

Ones seem too idealistic and too forceful. I'm an easy going guy, I want to bring people together. I don't really like self righteous preachy types. But I can see some of 1 in me. I guess I have a vague sense of mission, but I can't really pursue it because I don't really know what it is yet.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fear of sleep View Post
    I've always considered myself a 5, but I'm starting to realize that I might be more interested in maintaining a sense of harmony than understanding the world, but these things seem intertwined. If I can understand what's happening in a situation and maybe relate that situation to a bigger principle, I think I'll have a better hand to offer someone in need of help and put everyone at ease.

So am I a 5 or a 9?
    What's the best way to go about figuring this out?
    I don't know you all that well but from what you've posted here, you strike me as a 5, probably a 5 with a 6 wing. But type 9 is possible. I have the same issue. I'm most likely a 5w6 but I have a lot of traits in common with 9w1.

The Enneagram Institute has a alot of good information about the types.

I've found the book The Wisdom of the Enneagram to be a valuable resource.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm always surprised by some people's lack of kindness. I would say the most innocuous political statement, like "I can't legally shit on someone's doorstep, a corporation shouldn't be able to shit on mine" and someone would find a problem with it. Really? Are you going to argue for corporations shitting on people's doorsteps? Yea, it's not very realistic, but how can you not acknowledge its simple truth?
    The saddest ESFj

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fear of sleep View Post
    I'm always surprised by some people's lack of kindness. I would say the most innocuous political statement, like "I can't legally shit on someone's doorstep, a corporation shouldn't be able to shit on mine" and someone would find a problem with it. Really? Are you going to argue for corporations shitting on people's doorsteps? Yea, it's not very realistic, but how can you not acknowledge its simple truth?
    It's not very sexually stimulating talking about shitting on peoples doorsteps...

But yeah, no-one wants buddha taking them up the ass. It's a given. He may be big, but he's ugly.

Creepy-male

I understand that LII Ones are more self-directed. I think a good example is Lt Gamlin from Macross 7: he's incredibly hard on himself, but nice to everyone else (though he comes off a bit harsh at first when dealing with another character; this later turns out to be an LII Fe-fail . He's great because of how exaggerated he is... for example, he has a dream where he saves his ESE friendgirl and hugs her afterwards, then wakes up and berates himself ).

Anyway, thehotelambush and mysticsonic are both LII Nines. I'm not sure if they discussed it much/at all, but that might give you a place to start.

EDIT

http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/ <- this is a good resource also.

Creepy-bg

as a 9 what I got out of socionics and enneagram was an understanding that other people can be into conflict or ways of acting/thinking that to my eyes create conflict, and that's just who they are (and they're actually happy and content that way). So instead of worrying about them and trying to find the thing they need or should change to fit into my idealized little bubble of peace, it's better for all involved to let them have their way and little corner of the universe to keep my peacefull serene little corner peaceful and serene.

(or something along those lines)

like before I would spend alot of time thinking about those different people and how and why they are that way, and what I could do to fix that, bring them peace. Now I understand that my peaceful go with the flow world can be as hellish for them as their chaotic drama worlds are hellish for me.

it isn't about separating myself from them (although I've done that) it's more about letting them be without it effecting my thing.

/edit also, I don't have the urge or need to understand all these different types of people in detail functionally (socionics) or by motivation (enneagram). just knowing that they're there and that they're relatively happy/content with what they and what they do is enough for me to move on into my bubble of peace with them on the otherside free to do their thing.
    Last edited by bg; 07-16-2009 at 06:09 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/me...isid/5and9.asp
    The fundamental difference between the thinking of Nines and that of Fives is that Nines are impressionistic, involved with generalities, imaginative ruminations, and fanciful situations. Nines typically do not concern themselves with details, nor are they usually good at following up once they have acted. By contrast, the thinking of Fives is highly focused, penetrating, and almost microscopic in the narrowness of its frame of reference. Fives love details, losing themselves in research, scholarship, and complex intellectual pursuits. They think in depth, concentrating so much that they block out other perceptions (eventually to their detriment). By contrast, even brilliant Nines tend to have problems concentrating; they also tend to lose interest quickly and to allow their attention to drift off when they become bored or anxious.

Nines tend to spin grand, sweeping, idealistic solutions to problems, while Fives tend to speculate on problems, then on the problems that their problems have raised, then on those problems, ad infinitum.
    I am a 9. I guess my "deep thoughts" aren't really all that deep lol
    Last edited by electric sheep; 07-16-2009 at 04:06 PM.
    The saddest ESFj

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What's my Enneagram Type?

Should we have a What's my Enneagram Type subforum?
    The saddest ESFj