Thread: Hello - New here

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello - New here

I've read a bit about socionics and based on my limited understanding have decided to type myself as an ISFp. Of course I'm welcome to your opinions as to what type I am while I spend more time here. So I thought of hanging around at the Alpha quadra to check out how things are like.

One thing though that makes me think I may not be ISFp - I do recall a few acquaintances who, during the span of my short life, said that I'm rather of the analytical sort. This could be due to a limited understanding of me, of course since most close friends do not know me as a thinker. Some people do have the impression that I am intelligent upon meeting me, but that might not have a lot to do with my socionics type. As to my actual intelligence, if it helps typing at all which I doubt it does, I am probably slightly above average, definitely not anywhere spectacular.

There is something about my behavioral pattern that may distinguish me as an ISFp. When I'm with people I've just met, I tend to be nice and polite, sometimes avoiding conversation if I feel uncomfortable. When I'm with people I'm not too close to but comfortable with, I may open up a bit and crack more jokes. Sometimes when the mood is right and I'm a little high, my behavior tends to be 'out of character', as some people do tell me. I may become unnaturally outgoing, act silly, or be more vociferous. Those times are rare though. But with people I'm very close with, I let my guard down and those 'out of character' behavior comes out when I'm happy. Sometimes my behavior would be so silly to people I'm close to such that I would shudder to think what impression others who are not so close to me would have if they saw me acting silly. I've read somewhere that and ISFp's behavior sometimes fluctuates like that.

Well, perhaps over time I may talk more about myself, but as for now I'll leave it at that. Hope I'll enjoy my time here!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi! Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure it'll become clear pretty quickly if you feel ISFp is the right type for you, but so far what you wrote sounded ISFp to me!
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My behavior fluctuates like that. Sometimes I get stuck with people that I can't really let loose with, so I end up trying to keep the intellectual appearance up, which is really hard to do for long periods of time. Sometimes it feels like I'm two different people.

I know some really smart ISFps that are like that too. I think they're afraid of saying something that doesn't make sense. Of course, I'm really good at making sense of what other people are trying to say so I can usually take some of the pressure off. I can be a little too rigid in what I think makes sense, whereas an ILE might be more lenient with things that don't make total logical sense.

does that make sense?
    The saddest ESFj

Creepy-male

Welcome

Also, everyone who's smart and/or thinks about things is an ILE. Forum policy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    Welcome

Also, everyone who's smart and/or thinks about things is an LII. Forum policy.
    fixed
    The saddest ESFj

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by fear of sleep View Post
    fixed
    Yes, it is rather fixed, isn't it?

Anyway, nobody ever suggested I was LII

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LIIs think about things, then notice similarities to related things (a steady progression)
    ILEs notice things, then think about them (they're all over the place)

or

ILEs think outside the box
    LIIs make a better box to replace the one the ILE broke
    Last edited by electric sheep; 07-15-2009 at 06:39 PM.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fear of sleep View Post
    LIIs make a better box to replace the one the ILE broke
    + 1,000,000,000
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Creepy-bg

LIIs think about things, then notice similarities to related things (a steady progression)
    ESEs talk about what they noticed and thought about today
    SEIs... oh shiny! (dammit where'd the SEI wander off to? )

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    (dammit where'd the SEI wander off to? )
    Doin' the IP thing and cleaning up after the EP's trail of destruction

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    ESEs talk about what they noticed and thought about today
    SEIs... oh shiny! (dammit where'd the SEI wander off to? )
    These are good. They should go on the alpha domain at Wikisocion

Creepy-bg

an hour later SEI casually stolls back into the conversation wearing a new stylishly cool necklace made out of the ILEs discarded diodes and other spare electronics bits with a freshly molded shiny pendent.

"Oh wow, neat box! Did you guys make that???"

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha I think I'd enjoy hanging out with you guys.

I don't really relate to the 'oooh shiny' thing although I seem to have a rather short attention span. Being a guy, I don't suppose I could relate to certain ISFp descriptions, though for the most part I think my behavior does corroborate. I always try to be pleasant to people, and when in the mood, I do goof around a lot. Also I can't stand having to take in so much factual information. That's why studying content-based subjects such as history is really difficult for me. However if I can get the facts into some sort of simple structure or outline, I can actually do well, though I'll skip pass the smaller facts. I can actually do better for math since the teaching style is focused on mastering a number of skill sets to solve particular types of problems; the types of problems are the structure for me, and the skill sets branch out from the main structure. Since there won't be small facts such as 'the fate of nationalist groups in Burma during the colonial period before the Japanese Occupation' (yup I'm studying South-East Asian history), I find that math is much easier to do than history.

Do I seem ISFp so far?

Oh and I have a question for LIIs (that's INTj right?). I have a friend whom I'm pretty sure is an LII and he seems to really hate two-faced behavior. For example when I first became friends with him, he always had a problem with me when I'm so 'happy-go-lucky' with other more playful friends yet so serious with him. When I'm with him we would talk about life issues and stuff, but when he sees me let loose with other friends, it kind of irks him. There is an element of jealousy, but it is more an issue of integrity. He thinks that I seem to lack integrity since I have two different behaviors with different groups of people. Of course he's much better now and more accepting, but I'm wondering if this integrity issue is common with LIIs.

Also about activity partners, I've read somewhere that sometimes they can't keep a comfortable psychological distance or something, and if they spend too much time together the pleasure turns to pain (much like laughing too hard) and something like that. I find that with my LII friend, we usually enjoy each others' company, but sometimes there are things he does and things he expects of me that make me feel very uncomfortable. Is that typical of activity partners or just something else altogether?

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CeruleanFlame View Post

I don't really relate to the 'oooh shiny' thing although I seem to have a rather short attention span. Being a guy, I don't suppose I could relate to certain ISFp descriptions, though for the most part I think my behavior does corroborate. I always try to be pleasant to people, and when in the mood, I do goof around a lot. Also I can't stand having to take in so much factual information. That's why studying content-based subjects such as history is really difficult for me. However if I can get the facts into some sort of simple structure or outline, I can actually do well, though I'll skip pass the smaller facts. I can actually do better for math since the teaching style is focused on mastering a number of skill sets to solve particular types of problems; the types of problems are the structure for me, and the skill sets branch out from the main structure. Since there won't be small facts such as 'the fate of nationalist groups in Burma during the colonial period before the Japanese Occupation' (yup I'm studying South-East Asian history), I find that math is much easier to do than history.
    lol

I'm also a history major who hates fact-based systems and would prefer math or physics. GO FIGURE!

That said, I study pirmarily historical theory so I tend to weasel my way around a lot of the "fact-based" classes. Abstraction ftw.

EDIT: I just realized I haven't posted here to welcome you yet!!! HI YOU'RE MY DUAL I LIKE YOU LETS BE FRIENDS!
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard! You sound like a fun person to hang out with too.

Also I can't stand having to take in so much factual information. That's why studying content-based subjects such as history is really difficult for me. However if I can get the facts into some sort of simple structure or outline, I can actually do well, though I'll skip pass the smaller facts. I can actually do better for math since the teaching style is focused on mastering a number of skill sets to solve particular types of problems; the types of problems are the structure for me, and the skill sets branch out from the main structure. Since there won't be small facts such as 'the fate of nationalist groups in Burma during the colonial period before the Japanese Occupation' (yup I'm studying South-East Asian history), I find that math is much easier to do than history.
    Actually, this sounds more INTj (LII) to me

Oh and I have a question for LIIs (that's INTj right?). I have a friend whom I'm pretty sure is an LII and he seems to really hate two-faced behavior. For example when I first became friends with him, he always had a problem with me when I'm so 'happy-go-lucky' with other more playful friends yet so serious with him. When I'm with him we would talk about life issues and stuff, but when he sees me let loose with other friends, it kind of irks him. There is an element of jealousy, but it is more an issue of integrity. He thinks that I seem to lack integrity since I have two different behaviors with different groups of people. Of course he's much better now and more accepting, but I'm wondering if this integrity issue is common with LIIs.
    I can't speak for other LII's but it sounds like it could be common with LII's. It's an issue I have.

Also about activity partners, I've read somewhere that sometimes they can't keep a comfortable psychological distance or something, and if they spend too much time together the pleasure turns to pain (much like laughing too hard) and something like that. I find that with my LII friend, we usually enjoy each others' company, but sometimes there are things he does and things he expects of me that make me feel very uncomfortable. Is that typical of activity partners or just something else altogether?
    Yes, except if he's doing things that make you very uncomfortable, that suggests a less compatible type of relation between you too. Could you elaborate more on what's making you uncomfortable?

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello mn0good! I don't think I actually know any ENTp in real life (maybe I do but I don't realize) so I look forward to getting to know you

Actually, this sounds more INTj (LII) to me
    I originally meant that to show how Te was my PoLR and that I prefer Ti more, but what you said did get me thinking. For the rest of the day there was a constant debate within my head whether or not I'm INTj. I tried my best to weigh the possible argument for each side, but cannot come up with anything conclusive. Most of the time these arguments do not exist independently as arguments within my mind, but I sort of envisioned it as me typing them out on this forum to let you guys look at it. Does this help the typing process, in that my thoughts seem to be directed to an audience? I have the impression that Ti types should be able to consider ideas, thoughts and arguments in an impersonal manner. I find doing so rather difficult and unsustainable, but I do that at times, sometimes in an attempt to sort things out in my life (just like how every type will do).

Anyway after reading some INTj descriptions, I realized that INTj might be a far cry from my personality. Although I do think a lot at times, my thoughts are hardly as developed and clear as that of my impression of Ti types should be. I recall my INTj friend engaging on a verbal spar with a teacher in school because she was being close-minded and he had to defend his position. I can't imagine me doing that. If the teacher rejected my ideas I'd probably feel very bad about it and not do much about it. Also, I sometimes say and do things that I believe an INTj will never do, mostly in an attempt to evoke emotional response from others. This seems to be Fe to me.

I think what leads me to doubt my ISFpness is my lack of understanding of what is Si and what is Fe. Also, I have a friend whom I'm rather sure is ISFp. When I compare myself to him, I feel that I'm a bit more stiff and restrained. He is much more lively and relaxed. Also, he seems to use much more emotional manipulation. Sometimes he acts pissed at people for a few days after they did something to make him angry even though he wouldn't be really angry at them by then, just to see their reaction. However, after getting closer to him I can catch him when he's just kidding. I don't remember resorting to that kind of emotional manipulation before. However, I do make funny faces and exaggerated expressions at my classmates just to make them laugh. Sometimes I overstep myself and say something I shoudn't have. I'd feel very bad for awhile, but the moment those people whom I might have insulted show that they are still friendly towards me or that they can put my mistake behind them, I'll relax tremendously. During those times, I usually distance myself from them, but watch for any signs of favorable interactions between them and I. This is because I want to let them cool down, forget the issue, and not make matters worse. Also, I would need time to recover. Does this sound ISFp to you?

Yes, except if he's doing things that make you very uncomfortable, that suggests a less compatible type of relation between you too. Could you elaborate more on what's making you uncomfortable?
    One of the things that kind of irks me is when he sort of treats me as a doormat. I try to be nice to him and not say much about it, but sometimes when it's too much I'll try to bite him back, though not to much, yet even that makes me feel uncomfortable. He doesn't seem to mind much though, and usually we forget about it the next day. It isn't much of a big deal; it's not like a quarrel or anything, just that it makes me feel uncomfortable. One thing which I can actually remember is when he has a 50 dollar note and doesn't want to break it. He's actually richer than me, but because he wants to keep that note, he asks me to pay for his lunch and stuff. If I have a lot of surplus, I don't really mind, but sometimes I don't have much left, and it really pisses me off that he seems to take this money thing so lightly. The thing is, he doesn't pay me back. But I think he only does this to very close friends, because he knows that I won't become his enemy overnight because of something like this. Usually I'm torn between forcing him to use his 50 buck note and simply complying to his request, but I try to make the encounter pleasant by throwing in a joke or two so he won't know that I'm actually feeling pissed at him. I think that sounds ISFp, since it seems to align to an SEI description that I just read. But I hope that answers your question

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I seem ISFp so far?

Your writing style strikes me as Alpha NT > Alpha SF.....not that I mind that!

TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I'm going to go right ahead and voice a hunch on ILE-Ti....you actually remind me of a mash-up between BP and Mno. ASLlol?!

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

isfps are competent
    Last edited by Banana Pancakes; 07-26-2009 at 02:06 AM.
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is only one possible way of determining this:

do something funny
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm. Now I'm rather confused. I understand that this typing thing is probably harder than it seems. Also there is a limit to your accuracy when you're typing someone simply based on his appearance online. However, there is also a limit to accuracy when you type yourself because there may be blind spot that you can't really see. I think it's best if other people who come in contact with you in real life type you, since they can generally see the overall picture. However, one thing for sure is that I'm an introverted type. Currently, I'm pretty sure I'm neither beta, gamma, nor delta. While I'm open to opinions, I think NT is quite unlikely, but possible. Like you guys said, INTj or ENTp Ti subtype (although I really can't see myself as being an extroverted type).

I took an MBTi test before and it showed INFP. Also, I got a type 4 when I did an enneagram test. All these was of course quite a long while ago. While I sincerely doubt the accuracy of these tests, I was thinking that a Fe type would be more accurate than a Ti type since I don't think Ti's will get such results unless they grossly perceive themselves wrongly (I think that *could* be true in my case, I wasn't really sure of myself at that age when I took those tests).

I actually identified a lot with the SEI domain and not the ENTp one. Now I'm a little confused

TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's funny ^_^ When I first got on here I tested as ILE - I think it's easy to identify with your duals, because their makeup is something that you seem to find attractive and can relate to....

So guys am I ILE? Lol....no?

I also consistently get the INFp result whenever I go a test, but trust me, beta are not my homeboys. I think it's just the Fe shining through, as it's stronger in me than most SEIs. Or I could be completely wrong. I dunno? Being a 4w3 also probably helps with that.

So...on to the important questions....

Do you know Soulja Boi?
    What are your thoughts on pedobear?
    Do you like applesauce?

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha I see. Ok. Maybe I could be ILE or LII.

I honestly don't really like Soulja Boi's music
    I've never heard of pedobear, and don't know anything about him other than he's probably a pedophilic bear.
    And at where I live, we don't eat applesauce 0.0

Sorry if you got boring responses, I wasn't in the mood for anything funny

TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm curious......time for a VI?

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I just uploaded what I could find.

This is my passport photo:
    *Removed due to uselessness and protection of privacy*

This is me baking pizza and looking goofy:
    *Removed in order to prevent excess drooling on user's keyboard when looking at tasty pizza*

This is me lying on a sofa and checking out my younger cousin:
    Last edited by Reuben; 07-20-2009 at 01:21 PM.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You look like you could be LII. I'm lousy at VI so don't take this statement too seriously.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, I'm open to opinions.

TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha...LII.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. I suppose I'm beginning to accept that I may be LII. However I'm really very different from the LII I know. Diff subtypes? Or maybe just environment and upbringing?

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. After reading up on subtypes, I think LII-Ne actually makes sense. Any thoughts?

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hmm. After reading up on subtypes, I think LII-Ne actually makes sense. Any thoughts?
    I think it's highly likely.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing though, as an NT type, I wonder why I'm bad at math. I failed math throughout secondary school and find it hard to tackle complex math questions. Most of the problem lies on the fact that I don't understand the basics. For some reason, when the teacher teaches, I find it hard to grasp the simple basics, and require explanations before I can get it. For example, one of my friend was trying to tell me what a sample mean was. I understood that a normal distribution would have it's own mean and variance, but I didn't know how come there will be such a thing called a 'sample mean' which has it's own mean and variance simply because how can a mean have a mean (that is the same as that from the normal distribution)? I couldn't really grasp that but finally realized that a sample mean is the average of all the samples, and therefore shares the mean of the normal distribution. I don't know if I'm using correct terms, but it had something to do with population distribution.

I suppose being a certain type does not mean that you are automatically good at something, but I don't know why I can't grasp things that other NT's I know consider simple. (This INTj-Ti I know teaches me math; he's very proficient at it and sometimes that makes me feel absolutely inferior.)

Creepy-male

Skills and the like aren't type related.

I'm doing the top maths course reasonably well (~60%), and I'm an SF. Likewise with the other ESE in my class. Additionally, Rick, an IEE, was a star maths pupil.

EDIT

Also, my LII friend is a top fencer, and also doing worse than me in school, so, y'know. Not *everything* is type-related.

Just keep asking questions though!

MORE EDIT

I think one of my pivotal (lol) arguments against ESE was that I didn't hug everyone in sight, whereas another clear ESE did. I think it's a problem every newbie has to get hung up on tiny details.
    Last edited by male; 07-20-2009 at 01:47 PM.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well sweet. That puts all my doubts to rest.

Btw what subtype are ya?

And do I seem like an Ne-subtype? I mainly use this to explain the vast difference between my other INTj friend and I. (I being more silly, less serious, etc. etc.)

Creepy-male

I identify with Si-sub, but I think I've proven to myself that my self-image is really exaggerated towards the "helpful, caring" side . I'd say Fe sub is reasonable too.

Also, my Ti-LII friend is a lot goofier than a lot of the Ne-LIIs on the forums. The Ne-LIIs have thoughts that are more out-there though. My understanding is that you'll spam your complementary super-id element based on subtype. Fe-ESEs throw out more Ti, even if it's less thought out than in Si-ESEs, who'll throw torrents of Ne at the world (User MaliaFee does this). Likewise, my Ti-LII friend deliberately tries to use Fe, I guess. I always see him monologuing in a highly animated way to his friends (I actually thought he was ILE at first because of it).

Actually, I think I've convinced myself I'm Fe-ESE now. *changes sig*

!!DISCLAIMER!!

Late warning: things coming out of my mouth are a lot more certain than they are in my head. Take my observations with a grain of salt.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In your opinion, how would you differentiate Ti and Ne subtypes, other than what you've already said? Apparently my concept does not fit with yours (that Ti's are stuffy, Ne are more relaxed and goofie)

Creepy-male

Hmm. I don't think I would differentiate.

I'd type them as LII first, then go down to subtype out of boredom or if someone asked me (like now ).

I'd say Ti-LIIs have more strongly held ideas, while Ne-LIIs are more willing to try on lots of different thoughts and run with them. Case-in-point: Brilliand retyping ILE for less than a day when I retyped SEI (because user mn0good wasn't happy with my being ESE, and expressed as such in a four-way discussion between users ArchonAlarion, Brilliand, herself, and myself).

On the other side, I'm *still* trying to get my Ti-LII friend to stop stickling at socionics, since he's otherwise interested but routinely gets hung up on tiny things (like "I can't be an LII, I made a really delicious sandwich").

EDIT

The Ti-LII is also more fun. I'd say there's an element of friendly competition around Fe and Ne. We recently tried to describe how awesome the latest Transformers movie was. Compare to Brilliand, who knows a lot and is useful for theorizing with and improving my understand of socionics. Silly fun vs intellectual awesomeness.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So brilliand is an Ne subtype? Hmm interesting.

I think I'll cease to subtype myself now, I'm pretty happy with simply LII for now. And I'm really tired 0.0

Creepy-male

Before you disappear, do you have MSN or AIM or somesuch?

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I do, but I use a different email for my MSN. Shall I PM to you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast