Thread: Why is it sooo bad to have an opinion on everything?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why is it sooo bad to have an opinion on everything?

I've heard people say ENTps are annoying because they have an opinion on everything. Its true, I pretty much do. It would be helpful to know why that's annoying though to curb the behavior.

I do try to consciously listen to others opinions. Its not my forte but its important to me that people get to express themselves. Cutting people off because I already anticipate what they are going to say used to be a really bad habit of mine. I've worked hard at that one though. I slip up sometimes but for the most part I actually do put an effort in there.
    Polly
    ENTP

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Polly_G
    Why is it sooo bad to have an opinion on everything?
    It's not bad, but some people value restraint and are annoyed when others are obtrusive with their opinions.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it isn't bad and it is very helpful when the situation needs it, but one should try to keep one's opinions to thyself at certain times. For example, times when stating an opinion is a bad idea:

1. When your friend just renovated his house by hand, and you around saying how it could be better.
    2. When the discussion is one of facts (like, don't go around saying "I think McDonalds is a very successful company" or Syc's favorite, "I think Canada is the largest country").
    3. When you only mean to talk about yourself.
    4. When you mean to give constructive criticism to another's lifestyle.

Some people are also more sensitive to any kind of criticism than others (like me), so the above guidelines are very important to consider when around these people.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, this is actually very helpful..

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:38 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, it isn't bad and it is very helpful when the situation needs it, but one should try to keep one's opinions to thyself at certain times. For example, times when stating an opinion is a bad idea:

1. When your friend just renovated his house by hand, and you around saying how it could be better. - I actually bite my tongue on this one unless I think they actually want my opinion so I'm safe...
    2. When the discussion is one of facts (like, don't go around saying "I think McDonalds is a very successful company" or Syc's favorite, "I think Canada is the largest country"). - I'm not sure I quite understand this one...can you elaborate Cone?
    3. When you only mean to talk about yourself. - Ja, I can see that
    4. When you mean to give constructive criticism to another's lifestyle. I actually never do that even...it would be too controlling.
    Polly
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cone

1. When your friend just renovated his house by hand, and you around saying how it could be better.
    2. When the discussion is one of facts (like, don't go around saying "I think McDonalds is a very successful company" or Syc's favorite, "I think Canada is the largest country").
    3. When you only mean to talk about yourself.
    4. When you mean to give constructive criticism to another's lifestyle.

Some people are also more sensitive to any kind of criticism than others (like me), so the above guidelines are very important to consider when around these people.