Thread: My boss and I- what type of relation is it?

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default My boss and I- what type of relation is it?

I'm having a problem figuring out the type of relation between my boss and I. It's not a comfortable relationship. I never feel like I can do anything to impress her. She doesn't openly give praise when something is done well. If something is done incorrectly, she doesn't hesitate one bit to say so. She comes across as very no-nonsense, task-oriented, and blunt. I'm guessing some sort of ST, but which one? I considered SLE but I don't know if that's right. That would be a relation of supervision, and I do definitely feel that and not because she happens to be my boss. However, she definitely seems to value Te/Fi more than Ti/Fe so, SLE would be out. I'm seeking and I would prefer a boss that showed more emotional warmth and enthusiasm, especially about my ideas. She's not necessarily against my ideas, its just that to me she appears rather indifferent to them, maybe because she appears so serious.
    I was thinking LSE but she seems more introverted than extraverted. Also the mirage relation that would result between us doesn't seem right. The LSI doesn't seem right either because I think she is from a Te/Fi quadra. I seriously doubt SLI- I'm pretty sure is not her base function.

Our work styles are also somewhat different. I want a solution that will apply across a wide multitude of scenarios; while she's more interested in a solution that will quickly solve the problem now even though it may only be a quick fix and not applicable much elsewhere. She sees me as hesitant to troubleshoot some unexpected problem that occurs with equipment or some difficult library patron because I'm asking her or some other colleague how to best proceed. I told her that if I appear hesitant its because I've been working here for a few months and I'm not as experienced as most of my colleagues, and I don't want to be doing something wrong. I'm thinking my hesitancy might have something to do with my weak . It can be difficult for me to take immediate action in my environment. I want to ponder things over and weigh different options, which is too slow in a lot of situations. I'm beginning to think my boss values , which would put her in my opposing quadra. That would make her a gamma type. She's definitely more T than F. About the only gamma type I see possible for her would be LIE. That would be an extinguishment relation between us, which I can possibly see. The thing is, she doesn't strike me as being an N type.

So I'm at a loss what her type is and what our relation actually is. Thoughts?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's not really enough to type her accurately by and the supervisor/employee relationship is affected by various expectations. What you've said suggests a beta/gamma, probably logical.

I had similar issues with an EIE boss who was always wanting me to be aggressive, jump into things without planning, etc. I wouldn't rule out her being an Ni type, expecting you to provide the Se her dual would.
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

Creepy-male

LSEs can be pretty super-focused and absolutely ignore how they're coming across. One of my friends is like this. Additionally, my tutor (LSE) likes talking about his opinions on stuff that interests him (and nobody else, naturally). Is that what you mean by introverted?

Sorry, but the image of SERIOUS POLICE makes me think of LSE.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Banana Pancakes View Post
    There's not really enough to type her accurately by and the supervisor/employee relationship is affected by various expectations. What you've said suggests a beta/gamma, probably logical.

I had similar issues with an EIE boss who was always wanting me to be aggressive, jump into things without planning, etc. I wouldn't rule out her being an Ni type, expecting you to provide the Se her dual would.

I could possibly see gamma for her but I'm having more trouble seeing her as beta because they are valuing. However, if she's a beta ST, she might not express much because it is a weak function.

The thing is several of my other colleagues don't seem to dislike her as much as I do. Most of my colleagues are not in my quadra. The majority are valuing.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    Our work styles are also somewhat different. I want a solution that will apply across a wide multitude of scenarios; while she's more interested in a solution that will quickly solve the problem now even though it may only be a quick fix and not applicable much elsewhere.
    That's very interesting.

What do you think describes her reasoning - and circumstances - better:

"I know it's a quick fix, and we should look for a better solution later, but right now the important thing is to get it fixed as quickly as possible"

OR

"No need to look for a broader solution, this is a very specific problem that can be solved in isolation".
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    That's very interesting.

What do you think describes her reasoning - and circumstances - better:

"I know it's a quick fix, and we should look for a better solution later, but right now the important thing is to get it fixed as quickly as possible"

OR

"No need to look for a broader solution, this is a very specific problem that can be solved in isolation".

Hard to tell, probably more the former.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    Hard to tell, probably more the former.
    Well, I think that LSE or LIE fits your description, and I think that what you just said tips it somewhat towards LIE.

Incidentally, I think that "talking about his opinions on stuff that interest him and nobody else" is far more LIE than LSE.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah a few weeks ago i took my SEE sister to this hair place and i saw this female LIE hairdresser who had an hour non stop conversation with her friend talking about some friends hair they saw at a party .. was pretty amazing to me because i never realized girls analyze hair in that amount of detail. she could write a report on her philosophical approach to hair which rivals most things we post on here. it made me really happy im not a girl