Thread: Is this an example of Ti v/s Ti?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is this an example of Ti v/s Ti?

I did not read all of this, but just down through the second day, and stopped partway through the third day of exchanges:

What should science do? Sam Harris v. Philip Ball | The Reason Project

What seems strange is that I have a huge appetite for reading, and both of these guys seem erudite and reasonable. But eventually, I was like "well, that's enough of that." Why'd it burn me out, I wonder ... is it because they're presenting information in more of a Ti than Te way, and I reached my threshold? It also occurred to me that maybe it's more of a quadra thing; maybe each of them addresses their differences in a way that depresses my quadra values?

I dunno. But maybe some of you have your opinions about it, so I thought I'd ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could only get through half of Day 2 as well. And that was only skimming. I have, however, read some of Sam Harris' work before. I think it may well be Ti vs. Ti.

I personally think this particular breed of discussion a waste of time; both parties continually misrepresent and misinterpret one another, and so resort to unnecessarily long-winded responses to feel at least vindicated. It took me until 2/3rds of the way through Harris' second posting to figure out what exactly he was even talking about. The comments section of that blog entry demonstrates exponentially more progress and understanding among the contributors in much less space because they actually get down to addressing specific points rather than intellectual masturbation.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Board philosopher or bored philosopher? jason_m's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could be the way it's written. I just find it plain boring - not enough novelty in it for me. But to each his own.

Jason
    LII

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    I don't know the culture these people work in
    Many subcultures in academia seem to embrace hiding ignorance and mediocrity behind verbosity. Such posturing is quite common outside as well, in my experience.
    Greetings, ragnar
    ILI knowledge-seeker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your replies, guys.

When I read it, I was first impressed by how well-spoken both people were, and how they each seemed to lay out their arguments with critical thinking. Then, after it went back and forth a few times, I noticed that although they were bringing things up, I couldn't bring myself to agree with either side. It came to seem that each had hyper-rationalized his own viewpoint, until he couldn't even accommodate the other's. It was "You're wrong because I'm right" on both sides, and presented in such a way that I stopped even caring which one I agreed with more.

On the issue itself, I do think that those who try to say that religion and science are saying the same thing are apologists. Religion has to do with faith; science is based on the premise that everything can and should be questioned, preferably in a way that produces new hypotheses and/or is applicable in new ways (e.g., tested via the scientific method). But even the guy who took that side of the argument bored me, and it didn't seem like it was because of emotional appeals (which is more often what I notice turning me off).

I thought I'd ask here because although it seemed like they were both focused on using/expressing the same IE, I wasn't sure it *was* Ti on either or both their parts. I'll keep checking back to see if anyone has any further ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI